TBS truly dead now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UR!

civ2 is a whole lot better man.. not only is it nicer to look at, it's balanced better, and it's bigger!

AoW2 wasn't really a bad game, I kind of liked it, in the beginning I was totally confused because the game was to be played differently than AoW1, but after a few games I really enjoyed it..

Later on I installed AoW1 again, it was just horrible: slow, boring graphics, long turns, too easy to finish your opponent (by simply using your mighty wizard to wipe out everything) etc...

Btw you might want to play Risk II on the computer.. it's great! especially multiplayer!
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

sadly I think it is.

While they said the same thing about RPG's in the mid 1990's. I knew they were wrong back then.

But in this case it is different from the RPG is dead thing. In this case it is a matter of technology making TBS games obsolete. Back in the day, computing power was not powerful enough to make a decent enough ai that can play in real time. We can do that now- although with mixed results. Negating the need to have the ai perform in a turn mode that allows more time to calculate.

This doesn't change the fact that I hate RTS games. I like to sit back and enjoy a game. I don't like to be tested on my quick mouse work. And I've never been a fast thinker anyways. I never finished first on tests in high school, but I often finished with the best score.

I need time to think dammit! . But the publishers and game makers really don't have me in mind while creating computer games. I couldn't even play games like Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 if they didn't have the autopause feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

Turn based games don't typically bring in as much money...
        Thre's probably something in that - TBS games tend to have more depth if well done like civ 2 so you're not rushing out to buy the next one.

But I don't think TBS is dead. I think it has gameplay advantages which RTS can't match.

The main problem is noone has done a good TBS game in a while and there have been a few howlers. So its out of fashion.

The future is probably games which combine the best features of TBS and RTS - RoN shows the way here.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Is that game out?

can you actually pause it and make commands? Are there any auto-pause features?

Comment

yeah you can pause it - although I'm finding I get so caught up in what I am doing that I don't pause it very often.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

TBS genre is not dead. We are.
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

You mean that our raison d'etre is to play TBS, and given the recent decline we threaten the nature of our existence?

To me that sounds that bull****.

But just in case I will, for existential reasons, be a team player and keep playing TBS.

Comment

And now RoN - from all accounts has pushed "RTS" further towards TBS like depth than previous "RTS" endeavours - also pausible and variable speed - and TB strategic wrapper (albeit rather thin, IIUC)

The accounts in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic disagree wtih that statement. My experience with the demo also disagree with that statement.:P
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I saw it in the stores today. I'm not willing to shell out $50 for an unproven game (rise of nations) just yet.

I may wait until it hits the bargain bins.

Comment

There is a demo for RoN...
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

hmm let me check that out...

Comment

ack! huge download. I was hoping to play tonight.

It better have good pause features. because if I can't control all the units well, the game will not be bought by me.

Comment

the good: I have a cable modem, and that large downloaded didn't take long at all

the bad: the execute file locked up my computer and I had to shut down and reboot.

the ugly: well that's me of course.

Comment

I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm getting my ass kicked on the tuturial scenario. grr. I really don't know how to play rts games.

Comment

It's not a easy game, make good use of the pause button.
                                (don't forget there is a 'Poly' RON forum too
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X