Recommend me a game for my laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a game for my laptop

So I just got this laptop I need for college. It's a nice Dell Latitude D800. Not too far from the top of the line for Laptops.

I haven't gotten any games in a long time and I have a desire to get a game for it.

Because it is for a laptop, I want a game that at least somewhat meets these requirements.

First, not graphically intense since laptop screens aren't as good and I don't want to hear the computer straining. I also don't want it to get too hot and burn off what's inbetween my legs.

Second, one CD (two at most). It's preferable for a CD not to be required, but it isn't necessary. I'm planning on making good use of this laptop before I go off to college and thus using it in various random places.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to be able to play it mostly with the keyboard. The laptop has both a touchpad and that little micro joystick type device, but those aren't as good as a mouse. Thus I don't want to have to move things around with the mouse all the time. I'm fine using something other than the keyboard in some areas, but I really want to be able to use the keyboard almost all the time.

I'm open to ideas about genres too, so you don't have to limit anything based on that.

That's it. Thanks in advance.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

civ2
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Civ2 is a good game, but I'm looking for something a little more recent.

Say, released in the past 2 years.
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Not much... the mouse is the best control pad out there. I have one attached to my laptop. After all, without it, how could I play GTA3 or Vice City .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, it's ok if a point is required frequently actually, as long as I don't have to move it too much. I beat Fallout on a touchpad, for example. That was a little more movement than I'd like, but I can deal with it.

Comment

The only problem that I found with playing civ on laptop is that laptops don't have number keypads, and I use the keypad to move units. It's so convenient.

On my laptop, I have to use the pseudo-keypad, which is really a group of letters that double as a keypad.

Nice, but I never got used to it.

I am going to say Red Alert 2, i know i know, the touchpad will be used most, but I like the way RA2 allows you hold down a button and scroll the map with the pad.

Not the best, but it is the most doable RTS that I have tried on my laptop.

Of course, then there is any text type adventure like Syberia.

hmmm...
            While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

It depends on what you like. I could recommend Morrowind or Galatic Civilization, but it's tough not knowing what your preferences are.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I run SMAC on my computer (Dell Laptop). It runs fine but I had to buy an optical mouse because I was cramping at the wrist. You're better off getting Fallout 2 or something.
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I don't have any special variety of games for laptop use. I play the same games as with my desktop system (some exceptions may of course exist). However Heroes III, AB and IV are good alternatives, despite you primarily use your mouse. If you need more action, GTA and GTA2 will be okay.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Civ2 MGE is the best one with laptop, you don't have the room nor interest usually to try more 'actionish' (is that even a word?) -games, and it works with keyboard...

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      It depends on what you like. I could recommend Morrowind or Galatic Civilization, but it's tough not knowing what your preferences are.
                      Morrowind without a mouse? I have played it and it would seem very difficult to do.

I like many types of games though, I've enjoyed games from all genres throughout my almost decade and a half of computer gaming.

Comment

I ended up getting GTA3 as Imran suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          Morrowind without a mouse? I have played it and it would seem very difficult to do.
                          You could always add an external PS/2 mouse. That's what most people end up doing.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            You could always add an external PS/2 mouse. That's what most people end up doing.
                            Yes, I know. The problem is that I may not always have a good surface for a mouse. If I'm going to sit down at a table or desk and play a game, I might as well just play it on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                              Yes, I know. The problem is that I may not always have a good surface for a mouse. If I'm going to sit down at a table or desk and play a game, I might as well just play it on the desktop.
                              Ah, use a trackball, then

Comment

Working...
                              X