GTA goes freeware as Rockstar Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA goes freeware as Rockstar Classics

The well-known arcade styled racing game Grand Theft Auto (GTA) has recently become legally available for free as freeware in the Rockstar Classics series of Rockstar Games. I.e. you can get it for free now.

You can get it at the official Rockstar Games site (direct link) or some 3rd party site. At least right now Rockstar Games has tried to limit the rush by requesting sites to remove it, but at least Game Navigator (Russian site) has it. If you don't under stand Russian or Cyrilic letters, look for the two red links marked FTP and HTTP at the middle of the page. Those who have access to MBnet can get it there too.

Gouranga!
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

It wasn't already?

Anyway:
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nice

Why doesn't more companies do this with their old games, that they don't sell anyway
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: GTA goes freeware as Rockstar Classics

Originally posted by Rasbelin
        The well-known arcade styled racing game Grand Theft Auto (GTA)
        Racing game? I think not....

Anyway: w00t!
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Re: Re: GTA goes freeware as Rockstar Classics

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Racing game? I think not....
          It's not politically correct to say it's a game where you use all kinds of fire arms, drive over police officers, talk dirty stuff, try to commit massacre of Hare Krishna people or hijack cars for living.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

A good move!
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

And I thought it was already "abandoned" too. Whoops.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Has anyone played it yet? They say they "improved it" to take advantage of modern computers and what not. The download is like 328mb but when i had gta1 installed it was only a 60mb folder
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Probably better graphics/support for higher resolutions.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Actually I haven't downloaded that one, but I'll try and see.

Comment

Found it...

This version of GTA is modified from its original version to enable support for modern PC's
                      and current Microsoft Windows(R) platforms. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that
                      GTA will work correctly on your PC. Installation and execution of this software is entirely
                      at your own risk.

Comment

Cool. More companies should follow suit.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah...
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

This sounds nice.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I tested and found out that it works perfectly. The only change I found was that the 1600x1200 display mode had been added. Also the radio channel music is included, except for the menu music that didn't play for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X