Localized versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Localized versions

Just curious about how the generel opinion on this is...

Personally I hate localized versions of games... Games translated into danish, sounds so childish
    Localized versions of games sucks
    68.97%
    Localized versions of games are great
    6.90%
    I couldn't care less...
    3.45%
    I'm an American, so I don't have an opinion on this
    17.24%
    All games should be translated into the Banana language
    3.45%
    This space is empty... or is it?

My opinion has changed as I've grown. When I was a child, I love translated games because my english was even worse than today. In Spanish, the localized versions sometimes s*cks and sometimes doesn't s*uck. But I prefer now the games without localization, so I can read a little more of englishs text and, hopefully, improve my level
    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

The suck. Not only do they ruin the gaming experience, sometimes patches don't make it or come out like years after the US versions. Localized versions should be a capital offense.
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

"I'm an American, so I don't have an opinion on this"

Not really fair, since Americans do in fact play games translated from other languages. The phrase "all your base are belong to us" ring any bells?
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

...but do Americans play games in other languages than English? I don't think so, so Americans have to get it translated to english, if it's not an American game...

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
            ...but do Americans play games in other languages than English? I don't think so, so Americans have to get it translated to english, if it's not an American game...
            So the fact is that America is the largest consumer of localized games. We're the biggest locale. We certainly have opinions about bad/confusing translations.
            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I hate localised games too. And I hate localised films. Especially when jokes have been translated I'm happy to play any game in (American) English, and in some cases I'd prefer it. And we're still waiting for Civ3PTW v1.21 in Germany

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Localised versions , but then again I do applaud companies making translations availaible for download --> CM4.
                Not everyones english is good enough to enjoy or even understand the game, same goes for kids.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

well I am an american who can care less . I can't think of any games not originally English made that were worth a damn. I just can't get into japanese gaming. most of it is console anyways, and I don't currently have a console system.

Comment

Originally posted by Static Universe
                    So the fact is that America is the largest consumer of localized games. We're the biggest locale. We certainly have opinions about bad/confusing translations.
                    But what choice do you have if a game is made in Germany? I don't think many Americans understands German, so you have to get the game localized anyway, to be able to understand the game...

...or am I mistaking here..?

Comment

Localised games... Dubbed films...

I.e. I like to have the games in their original language, if I can understand it. E.g. Rally Trophy is better in its original Finnish version. Also localised Scandinavian manuals are boring as EA Games has now included ones with all their new games.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Loacalized games? I remember "assasin" was translated as "OTCOCuH" to Russian. So the localizations sucks in both meanings of the word "suck"
                        money sqrt evil;
                        My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Surely sometimes the game has to be translated from it's original english to a foreign language if the game is to be popular in the target country?

Comment

Nah - everyone speaks fluent colloquial English these days - at least everyone who can afford computer games, and everyone who wants to buy games (Young European males on the whole)

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Not in China it isn't.

Though games translated into Chinese suck bad as usual. They could have hired me as a translator, but they are too cheap and employ high school dropouts.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X