RISK - fastest win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISK - fastest win

It's gone a month. I can tell about it now.

We're some friends that meet at my place once a month to eat pizza and play board games. For some, these game nights are mostly for the social chatting, for some just to drink, but for two of us, gaming is the real event. Irritating as it is, this friend is an awesome gamer, and even more irritating, a very annoying winner.

The game that friday was Risk. Our group hadn't played that before together, two of us (we were five that night) hadn't played it all before. So I explain rules, tell how fun it can be, talk about my wild student years where one game could take 10-12 hours, with constantly shifting alliances against the current top player and so on.

And we start.
    I have foothold in South America and West Africa. Planning to take SA in first round. Gaming friend has many sectors of North America.

First round: Two players massacre each other for control over Australia. My friend (second player in round) expands his nice foothold in North America, which is very scarcely populated. And by some amazingly bad luck with the dice, my good foothold in South America is reduced to dust, even before I have a chance to attack! (I am last player in round.) Grumbling, I pull out into Africa.

Second round, my friend takes control of NA. Battle of Australia is also over. I reorganize around Middle East.

Third round. Friend gets NA bonus. Nobody willing to to attack him, even if he vulnerable both to south and east NA. I'm losing.

Fourth round. First player in round tries to grab Africa. Succeeds baringly, leaving just one army in each sector. Friend gets NA bonus. Collects 10 extra for card set. Attacks through Iceland south down to Africa. Grabs Africa barely. And shows us his mission:
    Take control of NA and Africa.
    Game over.

I tried to swallow my pride with cognac, but that night really hurt.

C.

...now I'm in the mood to play some risk again....

Comment

that's the great thing about simultaneous Risk on the computer (Risk II)

It's impossible as you can only conquer surrounding territories around you and one surge attack after that, but you can't make a row of 20 attacks one after the other with the same troop...

the mass invasions though are really cool, you should try i!! However it's impossible to play in board veriosn, only possible on computer..
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Re: RISK - fastest win

Originally posted by catullus

Fourth round. First player in round tries to grab Africa. Succeeds baringly, leaving just one army in each sector. Friend gets NA bonus. Collects 10 extra for card set. Attacks through Iceland south down to Africa. Grabs Africa barely. And shows us his mission:
        Take control of NA and Africa.
        Game over.
        The mission cards take all the fun out of the game, IMO. I like to play it out to the bitter end.
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Mission cards are very, very bad for newbies. They can't even watch their own backs, how can you expect them to watch for these?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
          X