The Oppressed People Of Varrag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Issue
    A loose coalition of sartorially-challenged individuals known as "Let It All Hang Out" has called on the government to relax public nudity laws.

The Debate
    "For too long, our bodies have been trapped in these prisons of cotton and polyester!" yelled protester Klaus Hamilton, while apparently developing a nasty case of sunburn. "We must repeal the puritanical laws that make public nudity a crime. My body--my choice to dangle!"
    [Accept]

"I agree," mused sociology professor Fleur Falopian. "But I don't think the protestors are going far enough. Public nudity shouldn't be an option: it should be compulsory. Nudity is highly liberating. And it would put that disgusting "Hooters" out of business once and for all."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

"Whoa, whoa," says noted accountant Buy Johnson. "Are these people serious? The last thing I want to see when I'm out for a coffee is some lumbering, over-weight nudist coming down the sidewalk toward me. If people want to get naked, they can do it in the privacy of their own homes. Think of the children!"
    [Accept]
    The Government Position
    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
      "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
      Civil Rights:
      Some Economy:
      Powerhouse Political Freedoms:
      Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, economically powerful nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 36 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 38%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

The latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, the country is preparing for war, the government is seen to favor Catholics, and public nudity is compulsory. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Issue
        After several bloody conflicts in nearby regions, a stream of asylum-seekers and refugees has been spotted heading for Varaag's shores.

The Debate
        "Some of these people have endured terrible hardships to reach our borders," says International Red Cross spokesperson Jennifer Clinton. "We must welcome these unfortunates with open arms. Let the world see that Varaag does not turn its back on those in need!"
        [Accept]

"These grasping freeloaders will swamp our culture and traditions!" argues talk-radio host Sue-Ann Falopian. "First they want welfare, next thing you know they're taking our jobs -- and you know they won't bother to learn our language. I say charity begins at home -- and this isn't their home. This is the world's problem, not ours."
        [Accept]

Economics Professor Miranda Barry offers an alternative. "There is no question that we have to help those who reach out to us in their darkest hour. But on the other hand, we cannot help everybody. So let's just take the ones who are willing to keep our streets clean and our drains flowing in return for a subsistence wage."

The Government Position
        The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
          Some Economy:
          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 36 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 38%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

The country is preparing for war, the government is seen to favor Catholics, public nudity is compulsory, and shanty towns are forming in the suburbs of major cities. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
            A medical report has detailed a twenty-fold increase in infection rates over the past ten years of the sexually transmitted disease VODAIS (Viral Overactive Dysfunction of the Auto-Immune System). People all over the nation are petitioning that the government do something about the epidemic.

The Debate
            "This situation is about to explode. At this rate, this epidemic could severely impact our economy, our way of life, and even our government," says Doctor Max Hanover. "We must supply powerful drugs to all infected people, even if we have to produce and distribute it ourselves. We must also educate people on the dangers of VODAIS and supply condoms to all sexually active males. Sure, we'll need to divert tax money from the military to fund all this, but what good is a military if the soldiers are too sick to fight?"

"If you supply condoms, you'll increase sexual promiscuity," scoffs religious leader Melbourne Shiomi. "If you supply drugs, you'll risk creating an aura of invincibility which in turn increases sexual promiscuity. Sexual abstinence is 100% effective in preventing VODAIS infection. This knowledge must be taught at all schools and workplaces, and all other choices must be ridiculed. Make celibacy the only option!"
            [Accept]

"Supplying drugs and condoms will not stop VODAIS infections and forcing everyone to be celibate will be the slow death of Varaag," whispers Health Minister Roxanne Trax in a poorly-lit back room. "Segregating the infected people is the most effective method. Everybody in Varaag must be tested for VODAIS. Then all the VODAIS positive people will be shipped to seperate gated communities away from the rest of us. If they need to mingle with uninfected people, then they must wear distinguishing badges that feature a Grim Reaper holding a skeletal tic."
            [Accept]
            The Government Position
            The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

Civil Rights:
              Some Economy:
              Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 40 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government is seen to favor Catholics, public nudity is compulsory, shanty towns are forming in the suburbs of major cities, and the government has undertaken a massive education and health program to combat VODAIS. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                Recent reports revealing that the dental health of Varaag is far below the regional average have ignited a fierce debate over whether to introduce fluoride to the nation's tap water reserves.

The Debate
                "Fluoride has been shown time and time again to promote dental health," argues Dr. Edwin Namel, Chairman of 'Friends of The Teeth'. "It's not an experimental drug for heaven's sake, it's an accepted method of promoting national good health. A nationwide program for the fluoridation of drinking water should not be seen as optional - it's a no-brainer for any sensible government. We need to implement this now, whether the public want it or not."

"I am strongly against this proposal!" rages Akira Silk, one of the more vociferous members of the Varaag Green Society. "When I turn on the water tap I expect to get just that. Water. Nothing else. We are not lab rats and it is not the government's place to force us into taking these chemicals! In fact I reckon we should put the brakes on all these new chemicals doctors keep pumping into people and give us the right to say no!"
                [Accept]

"There's no need to go to either extreme," says Pip Nagasawa, your personal dentist. "It's all about, um, choice. Here's a nice alternative: why not just have clean non-fluorinated drinking water and give more funds to dentists? If we had enough money, we could make all dental care absolutely free! It will be demanding on the taxpayers I know, but they'll surely be happy when they all have sparkling white teeth!"
                [Accept]
                The Government Position
                The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

UN Category: Corporate Police State
                  Civil Rights:
                  Some Economy:
                  Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 40 million are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.

Public nudity is compulsory, shanty towns are forming in the suburbs of major cities, the government has undertaken a massive education and health program to combat VODAIS, and the people are famous throughout the region for their bleached-white teeth. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

Ban The 'Boards, Say Pedestrians

The Issue
                    The conservative Northern-based parents group of "Housewives and Convicts for a Safer Varaag" has put forward a memorandum to ban skateboarding in public.

The Debate
                    "Skateboarding is a menace to pedestrians and road users," says activist Bill Steele. "Not to mention the astronomical number of skateboarding-related injuries - hundreds of children flood the emergency rooms of Varaag as a result of skateboarding every year, which is costly to the taxpayers. Keep our streets safe and save a little cash at the same time. Hell, you could make even more money by ticketing those who violate this law."

"Ticketing children for getting out of the house and exercising?" asks Hack Dodinas, a school teacher, in disbelief. "That's outrageous! It's true that skateboarding can be dangerous but so is walking down the stairs! You want to ban that too?! What we should do is pass laws requiring safety equipment for skaters - if we allocate a little bit of the tax payers' money to the cause, we can build a skate park that will keep our children safe and away from others on the road too."
                    [Accept]

"Yo, dude, I've got a better idea," says Zeke Broadside while executing a complicated 360° spin over your head. "What if skateboarding was the only way to get around? Wouldn't that be cool? Skateboarding is cheap, healthy, and fun! Everyone should do it! You could improve, like, the quality of life for everyone by banning vehicles and making skateboarding the only legal way to travel. People'd love you for it, man. Well, apart from the guys who make cars and the like, I guess."
                    [Accept]
                    The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                      Some Economy:
                      Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, economically powerful nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 45 million are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 38%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

Shanty towns are forming in the suburbs of major cities, the government has undertaken a massive education and health program to combat VODAIS, the people are famous throughout the region for their bleached-white teeth, and skateboarding is punishable by heavy fines. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                        Prospecting company Nukes4U has uncovered a large uranium deposit in Varaag's south-west.

The Debate
                        "This is a terrific find!" claims Nukes4U CEO Buffy O'Bannon. "It will provide an enormous stimulus to our economy and create thousands of new jobs. It's win-win! All we need from the government is permission to bulldoze the rainforest that's on top of the deposit."

"You've got to be kidding," says Green politician Jean-Paul Spirit. "This rainforest is thousands of years old! This country needs more environmental protection, not less. And to destroy the environment in order to mine uranium that then goes into nuclear bombs--well, that really sticks in my craw."
                        [Accept]

"There's no need for an either-or decision," says the government's Minister for Mining, Clear-Felling, and the Environment. "We can preserve most of the rainforest and allow mining of a small part. After all, think of all the good that the money from this uranium deposit can bring to Varaag."
                        [Accept]
                        The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                          Some Economy:
                          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, economically powerful nation, renowned for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 50 million are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 37%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

The government has undertaken a massive education and health program to combat VODAIS, the people are famous throughout the region for their bleached-white teeth, skateboarding is punishable by heavy fines, and the country's famous rainforests are being bulldozed by the mining industry. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                            Members of a new weird religious cult, called the Order of Violet, ask for the government to appease their mighty god by offering Her a sacrifice of the human variety.

The Debate
                            "What have we got to lose?" says religious freedoms advocate Clint Hamilton. "Just cut up a few homeless folk - it appeases this group's bloodthirsty Goddess, gets rid of unsightly bums that drain welfare, and everybody goes home happy."
                            [Accept]

"We must go much further than a few beggars!" argues the overzealous High Member of the Order of Violet, Zeke Rifkin. "You must pass a law that everyone’s first born child must be slaughtered, on live TV if possible. Think of the viewing figures!"
                            [Accept]

"You aren't going to listen to these whackjob Violetists, are you?" comments Naki Washington while leading a prayer group. "Human sacrifices! Surely we're too civilized to permit such barbaric practices! These lunatic fringe groups should be outlawed, their leaders should be executed!"

"Who's being a lunatic?" retorts Alexei Rubin of the Varaag Humanitarian Society. "I agree that these practices ought to be outlawed, but instead of sinking to the same level of these fanatics and killing our fellow people, why not simply start a re-education program? Even the worst person can be rehabilitated into a useful member of society, with enough time, care, and lots and lots of funding!"
                            [Accept]
                            The Government Position
                            The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                              Some Economy:
                              Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a very large, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 62 million are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 37%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Uranium Mining.

The people are famous throughout the region for their bleached-white teeth, skateboarding is punishable by heavy fines, the country's famous rainforests are being bulldozed by the mining industry, and a crusade against barbaric religious practices has begun. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                                A peculiar confederacy of small-government advocates, regular attendees at Varaag's annual Medieval Faire, and the super rich have demanded that the government grant estates and confer titles of nobility upon certain influential persons.

The Debate
                                "Of course I should be appointed as the Duke of Varaag City," says multi-billionaire Al Steele. "Not only would it be an apt reward for my contributions to Varaag, but the citizens who become landed serfs on my estate would work harder than they ever have in all their lives." Adds small-government advocate Beth King, "Government would at last return to the local level, close to the people and the land to which they would be bound for life."
                                [Accept]

"I can't believe I'm hearing this," exclaims noted civil rights advocate Pete Mistletoe. "Those who are behind this espouse a system that grants inordinate amounts of institutional power to the rich and ensures that no one will be able to climb the social ladder. Everyone in society must be granted an equal opportunity to succeed or fail. Say 'no' to a nobility!"

"I think both of the other parties are taking this issue to the extreme," argues a learned elderly gentleman resting on a park bench. "All that's being advocated is giving those who have contributed to their nation a ceremonial title and a bit of land. Besides," he adds, "the government can tax their estate."
                                [Accept]

"A good day to thee, milord," counters Samuel Jong-Il, an amateur Medieval Faire actor dressed in period costume, "I would suggest that thou hasten thyself to spectate at the jousting competition this forenoon. Aye, quite a bout we have arrayed for thee this day. However, the whole affair could be much grander if only we received a few more gold crownes from the government. Aye, 'twould be a grand tourney of knightly skill and courage indeed!"
                                [Accept]
                                The Government Position
                                The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X