Clear All

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
    "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
    Civil Rights:
    Some Economy:
    Very Strong Political Freedoms:
    Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a small, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 16 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt morass -- is effectively ruled by the Department of Law & Order, with areas such as Social Welfare and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 31%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Gambling.

Scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, employers may fire workers without giving any reason, organ donation is compulsory, and euthanasia is legal. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Issue
      Several major city streets were clogged with bicycles this morning, as the environmental group 'Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad' staged a protest. Several hundred riders ambled through downtown streets, blissfully ignoring the torrent of abuse hurled at them by thousands of motorists running late for work.

The Debate
      "People are sick of dirty, smelly automobiles," said protest organizer Roxanne Steele. "They're choking the city, the environment--our lives! Cars must be banned!"
      [Accept]

"The only thing people are sick of is long-haired idiots riding their bicycles at two miles an hour on major thoroughfares," says committed motorist Roger Frederickson. "People shouldn't be able to protest like this. The government needs to crack down on them."
      [Accept]

The Automotive Manufacturers Association, meanwhile, has called for government support. "It's clear that we need to boost the level of automobile support in this country. This protest this morning is a clear indication of... um... anyway, we need more government funds."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.
      The Government Position
      The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Civil Rights:
        Some Economy:
        Powerhouse Political Freedoms:
        Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a small, economically powerful nation, renowned for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 18 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Commerce, and Defence. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 34%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Gambling.

Employers may fire workers without giving any reason, organ donation is compulsory, euthanasia is legal, and the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
          Varaag's TV soaps--famous around the region--have come under fire for their lack of ethnic diversity.

The Debate
          "Every night my family and I sit down to watch 'The Brash and the Backstabbing'," says Sue-Ann Mombota. "But where are the Liliputians like myself? Where are the Bigtopians? The Marche Noirians? People from those cultures can be just as brash and backstabbing, but we never see them on the screen. The government must act to remove this silent apartheid from our TV screens."
          [Accept]

"Those Liliputians don't know how good they have it," says May Frederickson, spokesperson for the Tasmanians Against Ethnic Stereotyping. "Tasmanians are on television all the time, but always in crude, stereotypical roles. The answer is not to enforce ethnic quotas, but to award government prizes for the positive portrayal of minorities. That'll work better, and be cheaper, too."
          [Accept]

"The government should do what now?" says TV studio executive Buffy Fellow. "You've got to be kidding. We make soaps here, not documentaries. I should be able to put whichever characters I want into my shows. Quotas! Government prizes! God save me! Hasn't the government got anything better to do? Why don't they just back off and let society work out these things on its own?"

The Government Position
          The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
            Some Economy:
            Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a small, environmentally stunning nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 18 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, pro-business morass -- juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Commerce, and Defence. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 29%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Gambling.

Organ donation is compulsory, euthanasia is legal, the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts, and the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
              The Department of Defense has put its case for a substantial increase in funding for the coming financial year.

The Debate
              "These are turbulent times we live in," says Defense Chief Tobias Winters. "Turbulent and dangerous. And the only sensible response to that, of course, is to build a lot more weapons. Unless we get the funding we need, I can't promise that we'll be able to defend Varaag's sovereign borders from rogue nations and foreign powers. Or those leaky boatloads of refugees, for that matter."

"NO MORE BOMBS," chant the protestors outside Parliament House, in a repetitious and increasingly annoying appeal. Spokesperson Jennifer McAlpin, speaking through a feedback-afflicted microphone, says, "Varaag needs fewer weapons, not more! Make the world a safer place! Disarm now!"
              [Accept]
              The Government Position
              The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                Some Economy:
                Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 26 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, pro-business morass -- juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 32%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Gambling.

Euthanasia is legal, the automotive industry soaks up huge government handouts, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, and military spending is on the increase. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                  It's time for the government to allocate spending for the coming year, and as always, special interest groups are keen to have their say.

The Debate
                  "The state of the education system is, in many areas, simply frightful," says Teachers Union leader Samuel Summers. "And even where we are doing well, we could do better. I appeal to the authorities for a substantial boost in funding. Remember, the children are our future."
                  [Accept]

"We won't have a future unless we improve police numbers and rebuild the military," says General Charles Washington. "Oh, it's all well and good to have your fancy education and your nice cars, until some tinpot dictatorship decides to invade. And don't pretend like there aren't any of them in our region. Our number one priority has to be security."

"Education is nice, but Health and Social Welfare are more important," says celebrity social worker Al O'Bannon. "This is where the people who really need government help are: the marginalized of our society. If we don't help them, what kind of a nation are we?"
                  [Accept]

"Hey, I've got a crazy idea," says noted libertarian and bird-watcher May Trax. "How about the government stops taking so much tax from people? Give us a tax cut and we'll buy the things we need ourselves. People need to be weaned off the government teat!"
                  [Accept]
                  The Government Position
                  The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

The Issue
                    The increasingly militant Animal Liberation Front struck again last night, freeing dozens of chickens bound for delicious snack packs.

The Debate
                    "These nuts have got to be stopped," demands concerned consumer Konrad Mombota. "They need to face the fact people want snack packs, no matter how many innocent chickens must be sacrificed. Besides, chickens would do the same to us if they had the chance."

"These Liberationists are highlighting an important issue," pleads Bianca Trax. "Too often, animals are put through needless cruelty, just to make their flesh taste a little more deliciously succulent. I'm sure we could ban the more horrific abuses without putting too much of a dent in our national obesity figures. Couldn't we?"
                    [Accept]

"Animals have feelings too!" yelled protestor Clint Licorish, before being set upon by hungry passers-by. "Free the animals! Ban meat-eating!"
                    [Accept]

Economist Aaron Winters has an alternative. "You don't need to take away the people's right to choose. You just need to build the costs of animal suffering into the price. A tax on meat-eating, in proportion to the amount of cruelty involved, would do the trick. Plus think of the benefit for the national coffers! Of course, poor people wouldn't be able to afford meat, but that's just more incentive for them to get jobs."
                    [Accept]
                    The Government Position
                    The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                      Some Economy:
                      Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, economically powerful nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 29 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, pro-business morass -- juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 32%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

The alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, military spending is on the increase, Animal Liberationists are regularly jailed, and military spending recently hit a new high. Crime is moderate. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                        The latest "Harry Potter" book to hit schools across Varaag has stirred up the greatest controversy yet.

The Debate
                        "I quite enjoyed the book, until I got to the part where Harry summons evil demons to do his bidding," says religious leader Pete Jefferson. "Now that's just wrong. We need to restore some sense to this debate, by which I mean we should remove this book from the shelves, salt it thoroughly, and burn it."
                        [Accept]

Teachers union President May Mistletoe says, "Come on, the book is fantasy! And it's a damn good read. I'd like the government to issue a statement of support for our teachers and librarians, so kids can enjoy good books without interference from religious wackos, like Christians."

The Government Position
                        The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                          Below Average Economy:
                          Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, economically powerful nation, renowned for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 32 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

The government -- a sprawling, bureaucracy-choked, corrupt, pro-business morass -- juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 33%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

Military spending is on the increase, Animal Liberationists are regularly jailed, military spending recently hit a new high, and the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

The Issue
                            Commentators have warned that Varaag's social inequalities threaten to make it an international pariah.

The Debate
                            "Look, I don't like it either," said Chamber of Commerce spokesperson Miranda Mombota. "Just on the way here, I had to step over three homeless people, and one of my shoes got caught on a beggar. But inequality is the price we pay for economic strength. If anything, we need fewer taxes, so those of us who are well-off can afford to be more generous. If we want to, that is."
                            [Accept]

"I think we've forgotten what economic strength is all about," says social worker Steffan Rubin. "The economy is meant to be a means to a high standard of living, not an end in itself. It's become an excuse for the rich to prosper while the poor fall through the cracks. Not everyone is poor because they don't feel like working. We must provide more welfare."
                            [Accept]

"Who says we're an international pariah?" demands military honcho Billy Bush. "What are their names? If that's the way the international community feels, we obviously need to prepare for war."

The Government Position
                            The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

The Issue
                              It's time for the government to hire a new religious advisor. Your people have narrowed down the candidates to:

The Debate
                              Catholic Archbishop Abraham Wu: boasts an excellent track record, having rapidly increased church attendances in his constituencies through the "Reaching God Through Guilt" program. Seen as a solid choice.

New Age thinker Melbourne Wu: a left-field candidate with some radical ideas. "For me, it's not about the name of your religion. It's about discovering your spirituality in whatever guise that takes. Some people call that a cult: I call it taking spirituality to the people."
                              [Accept]

Finally, there's Akira Fellow. "If I am awarded the appointment, I will immediately resign," the ex-schoolteacher has declared. "Because, frankly, God is a big load of hokey. I'll be doing everyone a favor by just shutting up about it."
                              [Accept]
                              The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                                Below Average Economy:
                                Outlawed

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a large, economically powerful nation, notable for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 32 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Commerce. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 38%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Beef-Based Agriculture.

Military spending recently hit a new high, the latest Harry Potter book is a bestseller, the country is preparing for war, and the government is seen to favor Catholics. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

Working...
                                X