Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put The "Board" Back In Board Of Education
    The Issue

The Varaag Teachers' Union, complaining of a steady increase in student disciplinary problems, wants to be able to use corporal punishment to correct misbehavior.
    The Debate

1. "Clearly, parents aren't teaching manners at home," says Jazz Wall, the union president. "All we want is to be able to take a paddle to their backsides when there are problems. It's not like we want to throw the kids in jail."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.

2. "Keep your hands off my kids!" shouts Chastity Summers, while protesting outside of union headquarters. "If there's a problem, it's with the teachers not having the skills to do their jobs. They should be tested for qualifications!"
    [Accept]

3. "Corporal punishment would only treat a symptom of the bigger problem: our education system is in need of an overhaul," says Peggy Nagasawa, Varaag's education minister. "We need smaller class sizes, more teachers, better buildings, and better pay. It'll cost, but it'll pay off in the long run."
    [Accept]

4. "Why don't we just abolish the schools and home-school the kids?" asks George W. Mistletoe, education coordinator for the Varaag First Omnimenical Church. "That way parents can stress the values they want their kids to have and give them the attention they need."
    [Accept]

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• Spare The Rod, Demand Welfare Activists
      The Issue

The Varaag S.P.C.C. has launched a fresh campaign to stop parents from smacking their children. They demand that the government introduce laws to ban this form of 'corporal punishment'.
      The Debate

1. Child Psychiatrist, Dr. Zeke Frederickson, speaks at a press conference on the matter: "Parents and teachers must realise that smacking children increases aggressiveness, lowers their self-esteem, and can cause long-term emotional trauma! How can anybody think that it is anything but child abuse? Parents who resort to smacking their children are obviously unfit to be parents at all! We must ban this horrible practice at once!"
      [Accept]

2. "What are these lunatics on about?!" yells Tobias Silk, a concerned parent. "Smacking children has been an effective form of punishment since the dawn of mankind! Outlaw it and I guarantee you the next generation will be a disorderly disaster! Children need, nay CRAVE discipline! Sometimes the only language they understand is the cane, and the government has to respect that!"

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag
        "Doing what we are told is good for our health"

UN Category: Compulsory Consumerist State
        Civil Rights:
        Average Economy:
        Thriving Political Freedoms:
        Unheard Of

Regional Influence: Envoy
        Varaag is a UN Member

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 326 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Public Transport. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 47%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing.

A National Academy regulates grammar and usage, the government has cut its subsidies for all special interest groups, teachers regularly paddle unruly students, and record sales of 'child-whacking sticks' have been recorded. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is well under control, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Police Want More Than Shiny Badge
          The Issue

After a policeman was forced to apprehend a criminal with nothing more than his groceries, there has been an outcry for better equipment.
          The Debate

1. "It's outrageous," says Chief Constable Clint Hendrikson. "This horrible situation could have been sorted out a lot faster if we had had the right equipment! Even the poorest criminals can buy better arms than us! We need more funds - if we have to take a bit of cash off the education and healthcare budgets to pay for it all then so be it!"
          [Accept]

2. "I agree with my friend here," says zealous lance-corporal Anne-Marie Falopian. "But lets go further. Let's create a new anti-crime group with special training and expensive - er - extensive new equipment! That would make the criminals think twice before breaking the law! Especially if our new forces can shoot miscreants at first sight with out messing around with time-consuming trials."

3. "Hey, hey!" cries anti-gun protester, Clint Silk. "You can't be serious! Weapons kill! Everyone knows that if there were no weapons there'd be no criminals; and if there are no criminals, we won't need to waste valuable government funds on the police! In fact, I say we should go as far as doing away with them altogether! I don't see them doing anything useful anyway, except try to stop our demonstrations! Ban guns! Ban the police! Live for a better tomorrow!"
          [Accept]

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2.

Comment

Civil Rights:
            Below Average Economy:
            Unheard Of

Regional Influence: Diplomat
            Varaag is a UN Member

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, notable for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 344 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Public Transport. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 47%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing.

The government has cut its subsidies for all special interest groups, teachers regularly paddle unruly students, record sales of 'child-whacking sticks' have been recorded, and citizens are regularly shot for parking on the double-yellow line. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Karate Kids Cause Controversy
              The Issue

Free, youth-orientated martial arts programmes have gained popularity in communities where youth crime is a problem.
              The Debate

1. "What better way to keep kids off of the streets?" asks Thomas Trax, a professional judo instructor. "It's fun, good exercise and gives an invaluable insight into our nation's culture! It gives these youngsters something positive to channel their energy into; energy that might have otherwise been used to rob banks or mug people in alleyways. But self-defence programmes like mine will need government funding to really make a difference - surely the public wouldn't mind paying a little more tax to put an end to the gangs of yobs prowling the streets?"
              [Accept]

2. "It's a good idea, but it's not taking it far enough!" declares General Dave Hanover of Varaag's army. "If we could conscript these kids into the army, we'd be able to put their skills to good use! No one would mess with Varaag if we had a butt-kickin' karate unit on the battlefield! It may be a little expensive but we can just take money out of the education budget since these kids will be under our tuition. Their families may not be happy about it, but remember this: these young lads will be getting to do something which is the envy of every hot-blooded citizen - fight for their country against blood-sucking foreigners!"

3. "This is ridiculous!" comments police officer, Alexei Thiesen. "Teach junior thugs how to fight? Good idea, why don't we teach them how to make bombs out of duct-tape and cheese next? I say we ban this archaic mode of combat which only serves to encourage these punks in their violent ways, and introduce more government funding for the police force! With more cash we could really show the little blighters what discipline's all about."
              [Accept]

The Government Position

Comment

Civil Rights:
                Below Average Economy:
                Unheard Of

Varaag is a UN Member

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its complete absence of social welfare. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 350 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

Teachers regularly paddle unruly students, record sales of 'child-whacking sticks' have been recorded, citizens are regularly shot for parking on the double-yellow line, and the army's shirt ninjas are the most feared assassins in the region. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Cutting Off Sex Offenders?
                  The Issue

After the capture and trial of notorious rapist Henry Taiden, who was convicted of the rape of over 50 women in the past two years a debate has emerged on how he should be punished.
                  The Debate

1. "That psychopath should be castrated!" cries rape victim Hack Jones, "The agony he put me through must be punished with a means that will ensure that no human being will ever go through what I did! If castration is used more often in these cases you will see rape drop to nothing!"
                  [Accept]

2. "I understand that this is a terrible time for the poor victims in this case," says defense attorney Samuel Wong, "However, the answer is not to revert back to the dark ages. Instead, we should focus on rehabilitation of all criminals in our prison system."
                  [Accept]

3. "Everyone knows re-education is a waste of money, we shouldn't go soft on these crooks!" says CEO Pip Dodinas of the People Trading Corporation. "Simply place all rapists and criminals in Varaag into forced labor under the management of our company to serve out their sentences. When we're through with them, they won't even think of jaywalking, much less harming another person. We get cheap labor, and these crooks get put straight. Everybody benefits... well, except the crooks."

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

• Sacramental Tax Time?
                    The Issue

Secularists have been urging for the government to impose an income tax on religious organizations in Varaag for some time now, and the issue has finally made it's way to the upper levels of the government.
                    The Debate

1. Self-appointed civil rights spokesman Larry McAlpin declares, "Churches are business organizations with a large income. It's unfair that they don't have to pay the same taxes that everyone else does. If they really do spend on any money on charity, let them write it off as a deduction just like corporations do. There's no reason that so-called clergy should be chauffeured around in limos tax-free, when we desperately need funds for public works."
                    [Accept]

2. "Freedom of conscience is foremost among liberties," says Reverend Thomas Christmas. "Churches have been exempted from taxation because it is wrong for the government to infringe on the right of people to worship as they please, and that includes charging them for the right to worship. Besides, churches are non-profit organizations that put all their funds back into the community."
                    [Accept]

3. The Honorable Klaus Bush, Minister of Minding Other People's Business, has an idea: "This religion thing is such a great racket, why don't we make it a government monopoly? We'll ban all religions except the Church of Varaag, and make attendance and donations compulsory. I'll start writing the Holy Scriptures right away!"

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                      Some Economy:
                      Unheard Of

Varaag is a UN Member

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, renowned for its strong anti-business politics. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 356 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Public Transport. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 50%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing.

Citizens are regularly shot for parking on the double-yellow line, the army's shirt ninjas are the most feared assassins in the region, convicted felons are forced into slavery for their crimes, and membership in the state-owned Church of Varaag is mandatory and all other faith organisations are banned. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Road Rage Rampage
                        The Issue

Due to the ever-increasing traffic on Varaag's highways, commuter tempers are flaring, leading to an increase in road rage related accidents. A recent case in which a very impatient driver attacked and seriously injured a slow driver has brought the subject rapidly to the highest levels of the government.
                        The Debate

1. "The problem is that our highway system is sorely in need of an overhaul," claims social commentator Pete Falopian. "Varaag's highways were constructed with a far smaller number of cars in mind, and we've exceeded that traffic load by a substantial amount, resulting in traffic jams. Traffic jams lead to impatience, impatience leads to anger, anger leads to road rage, and road rage leads to violence. We need to expand the freeway system by adding more lanes to relieve the traffic congestion."
                        [Accept]

2. "You add new lanes, even MORE people will drive, putting us right back at square one!" counters Al Nagasawa of Varaag's public transportation committee. "Instead of throwing tons of money at a short-term solution, why not spend it on improving bus and rail service and encouraging carpooling? Oh, and get more highway patrol officers to crack down on these violent drivers who pose safety threats to the rest of us."

3. "*BLEEP!* that *BLEEP!*" Catherine Gratwick yells at the top of her lungs from the window of her very large pickup truck with a gun rack mounted in the rear window. "The government should just *BLEEP!*ing stay out of our daily *BLEEP!*ing drive! They ought to let us *BLEEP!*ing rushed businesspeople go about our daily *BLEEP!*ing business, no matter what *BLEEP!*ing measures we have to take to get to *BLEEP!*ing work on time!
                        [Accept]

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 2

Comment

• The Great Wall of Varaag?
                          The Issue

Due to the ongoing wars in neighboring countries, a recent rash of illegal immigrants have been caught at the borders of Varaag, prompting many citizens to call for tighter immigration laws.
                          The Debate

1. Roxanne Love of the Varaag National Purity League says "These illegal aliens are just an eyesore with their strange customs and funny languages. Uneducated immigrants like these only worsen crime and steal valuable jobs! I say we should boot them all out on their ears and put a big fence around the country!"

2. Lars Wall of the Varaag Civil Liberties Union says "We must welcome these refugees from any nation into our open arms, they are fleeing one oppressive dictatorial regime in the only way they know, we must not let them think they're jumping from the frying pan into the fire!"
                          [Accept]

3. "Hold on there, hold on people!" says May Thiesen of the Varaag Broadcasting company, "We don't have to take either extreme, all we have to do is make a TV game show out of it! We put deadly obstacles on the border and monitor it with television cameras! Those that make it across win freedom and citizenship, and those who don't, well, lets just say that our buzzards won't starve. We could call it 'Who Wants to be an Immigrant?'!"
                          [Accept]

The Government Position

The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Comment

Civil Rights:
                            Some Economy:
                            Unheard Of

Varaag is a UN Member

The Oppressed Peoples of Varaag is a huge, economically powerful nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 362 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Defence, and Public Transport. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 50%. Private enterprise is illegal, but for those in the know there is a slick and highly efficient black market in Arms Manufacturing.

Convicted felons are forced into slavery for their crimes, membership in the state-owned Church of Varaag is mandatory and all other faith organisations are banned, a large concrete wall is being built around the country's borders, and the government has started a campaign to crack down on road rage and encourage alternate means of commuting. Crime -- especially youth-related -- is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Varaag's national animal is the tic, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the varaag chip.

Comment

• Genetics Brings New Life to Extinct Species
                              The Issue

Scientists have announced they are close to a breakthrough in their quest to revive the feather-bellied tic, a species related to Varaag's national animal that has been extinct for more than a century.
                              The Debate

1. "I, for one, applaud their work," says scientist Melbourne Silk. "And not just because I'm the project leader. This is an example of how Varaag's brains can mix it with the world's best. Can you imagine how wonderful it will be to have feather-bellied tics frolicking in the meadows again? I say full steam ahead, and more government funding!"
                              [Accept]

2. "This is a sacrilege!", says religious leader May Dredd. "These animals are extinct because God wants them dead. Cloning them would merely incur his wrath! If we proceed down this path, it'll be humans, not the feather-bellied tic, who will be extinct."
                              [Accept]

3. "Now, come on," says Tobias Longbottom, well-known philosopher. "You don't need to be religious to be unnerved by the top of this particular slippery slope. Today it's tics, tomorrow it's dinosaurs, and we all know how that turns out. This research shouldn't be banned, but there must be strict government controls over its use."

The Government Position

Comment

• Drunk Driving On The Rise
                                The Issue

More and more, citizens are drinking before getting behind the wheel. A group of concerned citzens wants something done.
                                The Debate

1. Al Hanover, head of Varaag's chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous, says that drunk drivers need help. "Alcoholism is a nasty thing, a disease. The government has to help these poor souls to avoid the temptations of liquor, and wine, and beer, and hard cider, and brandy, and?" His eyes get a glazed far off look, "Where was I? Oh right, we have to help these people, not imprison them."
                                [Accept]

2. "That's lovely," says Stephanie Christmas, a noted anti-alcohol advocate, "In a perfect world where rehab fixes everything. But this is the real world, and it doesn't bring back the victims. Drunk drivers kill people every day. If they take other's lives, the government must take theirs!"

3. "All of those plans attack the symptoms, not the disease," says Minister of Transportation Billy-Bob Hamilton, "Alcohol is a curse, a poison sent by the Devil to tempt mankind. We cannot trust people to make decisions for themselves. The only answer is prohibition. Ban alcohol completely."
                                [Accept]

The Government Position

Comment

Working...
                                X