No announcement yet.

Humanitas (A New Civilization Game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slavery is of all ages, Darkcloud. They existed throughout most, if not all, of human history. Even today.

Besides, this 'classical' age-sequence is built up on the presumption of a western civilisation IMO.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• yes of course, because all civilizations are in different stages of evolution and that is why slavery currently exists in some, but not in others.

and thus my chart is true.

my chart is also true if the evolution of the game is built on the presumption of a western civilization- because more or less, that's how the 'age' evolution went.
      Last edited by DarkCloud; June 24, 2005, 21:15.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• The Stone age is a neccessary link from ape to man. It is the beginning of Civilization, it is therefore the perfect place to start a game about Civilization.

And like I said before, the Stone Age is different than what you are used to in the other Civ games.
        be free

Comment

• So you're not going with Neolithic Era, Fiefdom Era, Imperial Era... and such?
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• How about an Age of Aquarius?
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Lets not get ridiculous... lol

I'll leave all that to Spore.
              be free

Comment

• Eras depend on what you want them to be. I hate eras in Civ3 for instance. They lock techs in a way that is even more arbitrary than a standard tech tree. If they are for graphics, then which ones (cities, citizens)?
                I can't really answer to what age or era should be included unless I know what that means in terms of the game: does it affect gameplay, and which graphics?
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare
                  Eras depend on what you want them to be. I hate eras in Civ3 for instance. They lock techs in a way that is even more arbitrary than a standard tech tree. If they are for graphics, then which ones (cities, citizens)?
                  I can't really answer to what age or era should be included unless I know what that means in terms of the game: does it affect gameplay, and which graphics?

That is a good point; our tech system does not lock techs inside era's.

Era's in Hum are just "identity" slots. They are significant points in your history where you have changed from the last point, and to identify it, we change the interface graphics and the city graphics.

What I need to know are the appropriate eras to put in, eras that are significant changes from the last change.
                  be free

Comment

• That is a good point; our tech system does not lock techs inside era's.

If you change the interface itself, then it makes sense. I'd pick Early Stone Age and Recent Stone Age (facetted and polished stone), Bronze Age, Iron Age.
                    These can give a clear, stone/metallic view of the interface.
                    Then you may want to give a distinct look when you discover printing press, radio and computers. These are means of communication, and usign them in the interface has the potential to show very different looks for the same functions.
                    Between iron age and printing press, you need something quite flexible, because the dark ages and renaissance are meaningful only locally for instance. So you might want to change the interface based on turmoil, presence of a ruler or feudal system rather than having a fixed progression.
                    So this gives:
                    Stone (Early), Stone (Recent) Bronze, Iron, (?), Print , Radio, Computer.
                    I don't know for the something-in-between. Classical/Feudal/Monarchic...
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sn00py

Era's in Hum are just "identity" slots. They are significant points in your history where you have changed from the last point, and to identify it, we change the interface graphics and the city graphics.
                      Why link citygraphics to eras? Just link it to certain techs like stone building, steel etc. There are some third-world countries with mudbrick housing but with troops with automatic weapons.

I guess that was my complaint, a less sophisticated foe should be able to have some access to modern weapons just least capable. The Taliban was pretty medieval but they weren't fighting with knights and pikemen.
                      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• Old fashioned rifles were common in Afghanistan and they got good use out of them. Then, of course, there was the occasional infusion of something more modern like the Stinger missiles.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by E

Why link citygraphics to eras? Just link it to certain techs like stone building, steel etc. There are some third-world countries with mudbrick housing but with troops with automatic weapons.

I guess that was my complaint, a less sophisticated foe should be able to have some access to modern weapons just least capable. The Taliban was pretty medieval but they weren't fighting with knights and pikemen.

At the moment the graphics change once you reach the next era, but I can see now that it would be better if the city graphics changed if you discovered the appropriate inventions/discoveries.

I will take that idea into account, thanks.
                          be free

Comment

• Bit like Civ 2 Test of time then? Invention, Indus. & Automobile changed the city graphic.

JATF

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud
                              yes of course, because all civilizations are in different stages of evolution and that is why slavery currently exists in some, but not in others.
                              Slavery still exists in every nation on earth.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
                                Slavery still exists in every nation on earth.
                                Unfortunately.
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X