Humanitas (A New Civilization Game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sn00py

At the moment the graphics change once you reach the next era, but I can see now that it would be better if the city graphics changed if you discovered the appropriate inventions/discoveries.

I will take that idea into account, thanks.

Cool! Cant wait to see the next screenshots!
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
      Slavery still exists in every nation on earth.
      Every?
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Please, don't feed the commies.

Comment

• Sorry.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

Slavery still exists in every nation on earth.
            Blah.

Not as an institution supported by the state.

And I'd rather not hear a lengthy explanation of how 'pro*st*it*ut*i*o*n is a legally sanctioned form of slavery- even in the netherlands where it's voluntary- to do so would first off get this thread off topic, and second is that you're not changing my mind.

I'd also rather not hear about importing illegal immigrants into a nation to work in factories being slavery either- it's not agricultural, it's not traditional, it's not what people think of when they hear slavery.

Sorry, General.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• So importing illegal immigrants to work in the agricultural sector is still slavery in your mind?
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Not necessarily, but General Ludd might make an argument.
                -
                I'd argue that because they're actually being paid- (regardless of whether it's below the minimum wage) it is not slavery.

And the 'company towns' of the late 19th century would not qualify as slavery either, since those people actually were paid.

The majority of 'slaves' are not paid for their work. They are 'owned' by the masters. There is a large difference between actual ownership and defacto indebtedness.

Would you classify those thrown in Britain's debtor's prisons as slaves?

They're merely repaying a debt that they incurred.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Not to disregard slavery and its evil crimes, but wouldn't the Age of Exploration be a more apt term? Slavery has been around for about 30,000 years. Between the Renaissance and Enlightenment the Spanish and Portugeuse explored the world and brought the Old World to the New World. This is a big part of modern history and definately had its own specific time period.

And besides, if the map is a non-earth map, would we really have these ages? Would the Renaissance have started if Venice didn't exist?

Maybe the Ages should depend on the civ who's on top of the heap at the moment. Combine the Civ and the Civs current tech and military progress and you've got: The Age of Roman Aggression. Or: The Age of Roman Ingenuity
                  Last edited by Harry Tuttle; June 30, 2005, 12:48.

Comment

• True ages ought to be "flexible"

the current age list is based on the western experience. Western "dark Age" was mideast and Chinese golden age. Chena had a feudal period/warring states period in the early 1900s as well as the pass.

Maybe ages should be geared to political and miltary situation. multi, bi, and uni polar worlds, feudal periods, and darkages. Basically the actions of the players should determine it

if production of cultural buildings exceeds military production for a 20+ year period then its a cultural golden age

if one player is reater than other players combined in score etc you get Pax Romana or Pax Brittania etc.
                    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

• I agree. This would create a real identity to each game that is played. The world would be more unique.

Comment

• And besides, if the map is a non-earth map, would we really have these ages? Would the Renaissance have started if Venice didn't exist?
                        well one could argue that many cultures have experienced Renaissances and revivals of learning and culture- though none to the same degree as the Italian Renaissance.

As you note, ages are a sort of fluid creation.

I like where you and E are going with the development of a less 'real-world-centric' vision of the world and a more 'game-created' one- though I think it needs some more development to become viable.

I'll see what I can think of, then get back to all of you when I have something concrete.
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• Well, as our knowledge of the game is limited, we can only box in a few basic ideas. Here's a go:

Ages can be defined by:

1) Military "points"
                          2) Tech "points"
                          3) Culture "points"
                          4) Exploration "points"
                          5) Economic "points"

Civ Specific Ages would be defined by a leader in a majority of the fields - Pax Britannia for instance

World Specific Ages would be defined by one of the five examples - Five civs discover the steam engine within 20 years, the Age of Steam is born.

The whole idea is to keep track of abnormal averages in the game. When one type of average jumps out in front of the others then an age is triggered.

Comment

• Its a workable idea, but its requirements could prevent ages from ever happening.

If ages are to be more compatible, then we would have to eliminate the known ages we use in the real world and make up our own.

However, to simplify things, I think ages should be defined by technological steps forward, as it makes the most sense.

However, to add variety, we might be able to add a "dark age" aswell as a "golden age" inside of a main age.

So you could be in the industrial age for example, and during that time, there is a lot of corruption within the government, diseases, etc, so your nation enters a "dark age" for a number of turns.
                            be free

Comment

• If you guys can come up with a good workable idea that makes sense, we would be happy to look into it.
                              be free

Comment

• well more a general idea...(i have this of one of my own failed projects)...each building invention what ever has costs in gold or resources should have a minimum and a maxmum number then at the beginning of each game the computer randamoly chosen a number in between the min. and max. for lets say the cost to develop the wheel. this way each game will be different and you never no what kind of game you are getting...this makes the gamer look much more closely to what has to be done instead of after a couple of games knowing all the costs and can practicaly plan 20 turns add precisely....just an idea to make the game even more playable
                                Bunnies!
                                Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                                God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                                'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Working...
                                X