CTP2: A good game vs. civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP2: A good game vs. civ3?

Is Call To Power 2 a fun/good/addicting game? How is it compared to civ3?
    Try my Lord of the Rings MAP out: Lands of Middle Earth v2 NEWS: Now It's a flat map, optimized for Conquests

The new iPod nano: nano

There are merits to both. More threads: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

IW, you REALLY need a life!

But in all seriousness, it should give Hagbart a good comparison.

Comment

Firaxis wasnt trying to make a sequel to CtP2 and the CtP2 team wasnt trying to make a sequel to Civ2. To save you reading all those, the simple conclusion is, CtP2 and Civ3 are like cats and dogs, everyone has a preference, there IS no comparison.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I used to play Civ2 and then I discovered CtP2 and stopped playing the first one.

When Civ3 was published, I bought the game and played it. My first Civ3 game was a kind of disappointement though I thought I had perhaps missed something, mixed feelings would you say. So I tried again Civ3 and ended being angry against the cheats used by the AI and the tedious worker management system.

I thus came back to modded CtP2 convinced the game is far better as far as my tastes are concerned.

You should give modded CtP2 a try but don't expect a civ clone, it's really a different game.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I really do prefer CTP2 to Civ3.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Same here Oerdin.
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I had the same experience as Tamerlin. I was a Civ2 fenatic, but didn't even finish my first Civ 3 game. Ctp2, as modified by the Apolyton patch is the best game I have erver played.

Bill

Comment

I had CIV2 at home for year, but i never played it (only the WWII scenario).
                  At the beginning of this year, i a state of boredom, i bought CIV3, which i actually didn't want to buy in the first place as i wasn't really into that kind of game (i am still more a MOO-science-fiction player)....
                  Anyway...i had a lot of pleasure with it, being new to that kind of game. It's only this summer that i bought CTP. Even with older graphics i found this game to be really cool (space cities). I also bought CTP2 one or 2 months later, which i played now with the Apolyton patch. I've also played CIV2 many times now.
                  the result:

1. CIV2 is really great. Diplomacy is also very fun
                  2. CTP comes right after CIV2. There are so many new options in there....great game.
                  3. CTP2: it could have been the top. Still the game is great....however i don't find as entertaining as CTP.
                  3. CIV3: graphics are great, but is not as fun as the others...they just took back the old formula.
                  "Give us peace in our time",

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Anguille2
                    3. CIV3: graphics are great, but is not as fun as the others...they just took back the old formula.
                    Actual Civ3 graphics are in comparision to CTP1 and CTP2 16bit graphics just 8bit, CTP1/2 units are larger and therefore more detailed. So maybe Civ3 graphics are great CTP1/2 graphics are much better even if they are older, they are just more advanced.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I wasn't saying that the quality of the graphics from CIV3 were better than the ones in CTP2. Neither that they were more detailled.
                      It's just that i like the colors and the images they used...
                      I think the dimensions in CTP2 are good, but in CTP, the units are slightly too big for my taste (even if it's the game i prefer now).

Anyway....i would rather be looking for a CTP3 than to a CIV4.
                      "Give us peace in our time",

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.

Comment

Anguille2 wrote:

============
                        Anyway....i would rather be looking for a CTP3 than to a CIV4.
                        ============

Amen to that!!

Unfortunately, I doubt if we'll ever see it.

The best that I can hope for is that whenever they DO release Civ 4, they will take a look at modded CPT2 for some inspiration.

Don't get me wrong--I think Civ III is a fine game. It's just not my favorite. It may seem strange, but I find myself playing Civ II-MPG more than Civ III. Even after all these years, Civ II still can be terribly fun--and IMO, MORE fun than Civ III.

Three of the biggest selling points to me on CTP2 are the unconventional units, varieties of governments and the incredible ability to mod. (Not that *I* have the skill to do it, but I *do* appreciate those that can!) If a Civ 4 can have those three elements, then perhaps I'll be won back to the 'current release' Civ camp.

I probably will pick up CivIII-PtW when it comes out, but I doubt if it will win me back to Civ III.
                        "Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. And those who do know history repeat it just for fun."

Comment

I have said this many times and i say it again. Modded CtP2 is the best civ game there is by far and is getting better Which is really great. Possibly the best game I have.

One thing with CtP2 i find it hard to get into a game, but once i get into it (say 50turns or so its bloody great)

SMIFFGIG
                          Oxygen should be considered a drug
                          Tiberian Sun Retro
                          My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                          http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

But there is so many good points about Civ III! (And I feel if you hate the worker system, how did you cope with Civ II?) And Incidently, I was a real fan of CTP II before I got Civ III. I got it, and played it for about 2 weeks. Then I went back to CTP II. But then, a month later, I went back to Civ III, and I found the annoying points become less annoying and more of a challinge in the gameplay than CTP II.
                            How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

Originally posted by Silpy
                              (And I feel if you hate the worker system, how did you cope with Civ II?)
                              In the end I needed one hour to move all these settlers and caravans all over the map in the hot phase of terrainimproving. So in the end not good and finally I got CTP1 with the sollution to this problem: PW.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                              X