3rd Apolyton CtP2 SP Tournament: 1 August - 1 September 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maquiladora
    I just got a somewhat strange occurance. I had 4 longships grouped and 2 units on each ship, when i tried to unload the ships onto a tile with 12 units already on it (dont ask me why) i moved the longships after emptying them and the troops were fortified on the water tile next to the 12 unit tile!!

I decided to move the longships back and put the troops back on, because i thought theyd die if i ended my turn.

I dont know if this is a CtP2 error, or Mod specific, so ill just mention it here.
    This has happened to me twice in this game, and a few other time playing SAP. The units come off of the transport and automatically fortify themselves half on the beach, half in the water. You can move your ships away, they won't drown. (I should post a screen shot of this when I get home, I always save the game when this happens, just in case the game crashes). IIRC, this happens when I have unloaded 10 or 11 units on one tile, I have a fleet transports/longships/etc. with units still to be unloaded and I use the right click to try to unload one more onto the tile. They all unload, but as noted, sit in the water fortified.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Oh...that's tight
      if im attaking a city on a 2tile island i can get 5 12-stacks to give all the combo punch i need (see tactics database and post something too )

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
        Oh...that's tight
        if im attaking a city on a 2tile island i can get 5 12-stacks to give all the combo punch i need (see tactics database and post something too )
        Don't know if it can be used as a strategy. It's a glitch. It happens inconsistently or in a narrow set of circumstances that I can not determine. You can't make units unload in the water everytime - I've tried - just sometimes they do for some reason. Most of the time I am told "I can go no further" or whatever it is the longship captain says, and the units remain aboard.
        Last edited by TheArsenal; August 9, 2002, 13:07.

Comment

aaaauuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh
          too bad

Comment

Seem to have run into a bit of a problem. Hopefully there is a solution. Between turns at year 2002 and 2003 the game crashes back to the desktop at the Arabian's turn (on the status bar). I've tried restarting the game, loading from within a new game, going back to an earlier turn and playing up to that point. Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
              Seem to have run into a bit of a problem. Hopefully there is a solution. Between turns at year 2002 and 2003 the game crashes back to the desktop at the Arabian's turn (on the status bar). I've tried restarting the game, loading from within a new game, going back to an earlier turn and playing up to that point. Nothing.
              One question: Do you play with MaxPlayers higher then NumPlayers in your userprofile.txt, if yes you could try this: Reloadslic on the turn before the crash if you have an additional civ in the game on the next turn, if you now hit end turn again without reloading slic the game will crash again. I know that the problem lies in DiploMod, last tournerment game I disabled huge parts of this slic file to finish my game. The other solution in this case is to asign MaxPlayers the same number as NumPlayers, the result will be that you will get only new players into the game if already one has been removed. I did that in this tournerment.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

This also sounds like the problem that I was having last tournament before I added Martin's slic code that stopped the pillaging of neutral tile improvements. Martin, is this part of GoodMod?

Comment

Originally posted by centrifuge
                  This also sounds like the problem that I was having last tournament before I added Martin's slic code that stopped the pillaging of neutral tile improvements. Martin, is this part of GoodMod?
                  Of course I wrote this piece of code extra for GoodMod, I used tile improvements to add a terrain bonus to the good tiles, in this case every civ including the Barbarians can pillage a lot of tile improvements owned by noone right from the beginning of the game.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

One question: Do you play with MaxPlayers higher then NumPlayers in your userprofile.txt, if yes you could try this: Reloadslic on the turn before the crash if you have an additional civ in the game on the next turn, if you now hit end turn again without reloading slic the game will crash again. I know that the problem lies in DiploMod, last tournerment game I disabled huge parts of this slic file to finish my game. The other solution in this case is to asign MaxPlayers the same number as NumPlayers, the result will be that you will get only new players into the game if already one has been removed. I did that in this tournerment.

-Martin
                    Not quite sure I follow, but my MaxPlayers in the userprofile.txt is set to 8 (default number if IIRC) and I'm playing with the 8 civs (minus the 2 I've destroyed) that are currently left in from this tournament savegame.

Comment

Not quite sure I follow, but my MaxPlayers in the userprofile.txt is set to 8 (default number if IIRC) and I'm playing with the 8 civs (minus the 2 I've destroyed) that are currently left in from this tournament savegame.
                      My maxplayers is set to 0. I meant to ask about that because I did not get any new players in the last tournament, but I read about other people dealing with new civs. What should I set my maxplayers to for this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by ETB
                        My maxplayers is set to 0. I meant to ask about that because I did not get any new players in the last tournament, but I read about other people dealing with new civs. What should I set my maxplayers to for this tournament?
                        As I started the game MaxPlayers was set to 20 and NumPlayers was set to 11. Afterwards I got a crash in the middle of game, because a new civ was formed and more civs were in then as at the start of the game. Now I set NumPlayers in the userprofile.txt to 9 and MaxPlayers to 9, too. This way I won't get game crashes and I will see new civs if a civ has been destroyed or conquered before.

That doesn't sound like the problem I described above. So you could attach your game here so we can all have a look on it.

-Martin

Comment

As discussed the problem happens between this turn and next. Thanks for taking a look.
                          Attached Files

Comment

As discussed the problem happens between this turn and next. Thanks for taking a look.
                            OK I took a look into it. I disabled all the fan made slic no change. Then I played with the cheat editor: I wondered what would hapen if I take all the Phoenician cities. The result was no crash although I forgot one. So I wonder which city must be taken that the result will be no crash. Fortunatly it is the city Aradus. You have stationated some troops near the city Aradusbut this stack is too small to take the city and you can't reach the city, because of some stupid Phillipinos near the city. So you task is now to take this city until 2002 that should be possible if you play from an earlier turn, rush buy some cannons in Berytus, Baalbeck and Byblos to fill up the stack near Berytos to 12 units so you can conquer Aradus. You have enough gold to do it. You shouldn't be concerend about the Phoenicians they have only four cities not linked and they are under attack of other civs so they shouldn't be a problem.

-Martin

Phoenician

Comment

Ah ... a Phoenician traitor, I am in luck today.

Thanks, for the input and thanks for saving my game. It would have been a @#$# to lose the game after this long. Hopefully I saved a game fairly close to 2002 (I may have, I don't remember), otherwise it will cost me about 45 minutes of replaying, which - again - is far better to losing the game.

As you can tell, destroying the Phoenicians then moving onto those pesky Polynesians is the top of my priority. They are weak and I have been crushing them with ease. So rush buying to take out the Phoenicians in a less conservative manner shouldn't be a problem. I'm not a fan of rush buying, which is why I was moving troops over from the cities I took from the Dutch, but you have to do what you have to do.

Danke wieder.

Comment

Hey Loc (or anyone that knows),
                                Has anyone else put in their final games for scoring recently??? Can't wait to see how everybody does!

I've completely lost the plot with my game...
                                My intention to race to nuke technology and use scare tactics to force alliances has somewhat backfired...

Ah well, it's all good fun.

Shadow
                                3am...! Can't be, I just started...!
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Ahhh, my first Nuke!
                                Now the fat lady's singin'...

Comment

Working...
                                X