Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for player opinions - CTP2 modded/civ3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to give an opinion.

Don't buy Civ 3 until civ 3 MP is released. Reason being is that you are on limited funds. I have both Ctp 2 and Civ 3. Well out of the box civ 3 is better, and there are some good new features, but the lack of modifying options is appaling, so don't buy yet. Wait and civ 3 will become much better I believe, and you will save yourelf some money, I doubt that you can have enough time to play both.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Hi,
      Since you asked for an opinion here's mine.
      Don't by civ3 just yet, i have both it and CTP2 and find that civ3 has just two things in it´s favor, first the concept of strategic resourses and second the Ai seems better. I play CTP2 with my own mod, based on Medmod, and to be frank still prefer it, wait and see if Civ3 becomes all it can be before wasting your resources on a game that might end up on a shelve. It's a lot less customizable, so far, has too little tile improvements (I like those), the graphics could be better, and the faults you mentioned

Comment

If you want to sit around building and talking, civ3 is brilliant. If you want to have a bit of fun by taking a walk to another part of the map and overrunning some cities, the corruption devastates your game. And not many people can resist the tempation to do that...

On another note, the micro-management i found wasnt a problem, combat can sometimes be a pain, the editors a bit naff but functional... but its the corruption that single handedly turns a brilliant game into a tedious chore
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

I thought I would do an update on this post.

Funny thing happened at Christmas...
          I ended up getting both EU2 and civ3 for Christmas due to some work on the part of my wife and sister. Initially I had been looking forward to civ3, but due to the discussions in the civ3 forums, I cooled on the idea of playing civ3 - even to the point of asking my wife that if I was only getting one game for Christmas, I wanted EU2. Turns out that both games had already been purchased.

All I can say is that EU2 is an incredible, deep game, and it has hooked me. I'm sure that eventually I will find things that I will not like about it, but at the same time, there is a lot to learn about EU2, due to its depth, so I can see myself spending the time to learn it.

And I have been playing Stronghold - it is a lot of fun.

For the moment, I have no desire nor the time to play civ3 - so it sits on my hard drive without ever being launched.

It is encouraging to see players in the civ3 forums making their way over to the CTP2 camp too.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

I'd recommend holding off buying civ3 until we see exactly what improvements art made for the expansion pack and MP version.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I have EU1 but haven't installed it yet.
              Is it worth my time? Or should I just buy EU2 and give away 1?

Comment

Supposedly, the learning curve on EU2 is easier because it includes a tutorial, which was one of the main reasons why I wanted EU2 instead of EU1.

The tutorial did help me understand the interface issues, but figuring out how it all works together only comes through gameplay.

I do wish that EU2 had some kind of in-game Great Library though.
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Points 1, 2, and 6 are killer. The others have either been fixed, or are not big problems, at least in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X