Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me your honest opinion

I Have only ever played civ 1
    When civ 2 came out I was 11 and not interested in these types of games. But now i'm a college going 16 year old and I love Civ and all strategy games, which leads to lighthearted slagging by my friends who only like a game for its blood lust appeal. You know 'bang bang, run into a room, shoot everything in sight, next room same thing boom boom'
    Very little skill involved, I do play these games but not to the extent of my friends. Goldeneye was cool and Half-life.
    Anyway since I have only played civ 1 I really need to play an up to date civ game, do you recommend CTP 2. I saw it for £9.99 in HMV the other day, but thought no don't gat it people say its sh1t. But now i'm talking to the people that play it, so is it worth it.
    Oh and I will be getting Civ 3 any way but I don't believe it will be out before march 2002

Plz help I'm Civ deprived
    "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought with, but WWIV will be fought with sticks & stones". Albert Einstein
    "To Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"- Homer Simpson

Honestly, if you are civ deprived, CTP1 or 2 would be worth a tenner.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah,I would say it's worth it for that price...............mind you,some stores are still charging £29.99 for CTP2 in Britain which I say is a bloody rip-off.
      I need Scooby Snacks.

Comment

Download and install the Medieval Pack 2 from Wes' page and CTP 2 becomes a really good game!

I'm absolutely addicted to it!

Comment

I'd have to agree - CTP2 (as released) had a lot of potential, and the Mods take it 90% there. I really enjoy a chance to build my empire and see it exist if color and animation, and not have to get attacked by the same races with the same ferocity every game.

Best things about CTP2 are the improvements over the Civ game. For me, the big two were...

(a) The maps are far better - I HATED those stringy continents. Here, the map functions allow for much better creation.

(b) Far better mechanics. Public Works and Trading are far superior to what we had in Civ.

I'm quite happy with CTP2 bolstered by the MedMods.
          Bluevoss-

Comment

I think that with the MedPack2 CTP2 is now the best Civ game to date, and from the looks of how things are going with Civ3 I would be cautious about jumping to conclusions with it. I mean i am sure it will be a great game, but don't assume that it will be the best just because it has Sid's name on the box.
            DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
            EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
            AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Buy CTP2 at once and get the Medmod or the Apolyton Pack!!!
              It is the best civ game currently (when modded of course) and probably will be better than civ3 (have you seen the last screenshots and how desanimous the civ3 community is?). If you regret i swear i change my nick to Donna.
              Last edited by Pedrunn; July 27, 2001, 13:40.
              "Kill a man and you are a murder.
              Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
              Kill all and you are a God!"
              -Jean Rostand

Comment

MedPack2 put emphasis on on the middle age, if you don't want so much changes try the ApollytonPack or if you like rather the acient age than the medieval age try Craddle.

And for Civ3 I am not very interesting maybe until the game is out. I think Sid won't give it to the fans to finish his game. But so far as I know he won't kick out terrain improving settlers. It was just a headache to move hundrets of settlers only for the sake of building terrain improvements. I am afrait that you can also move carravans again, taht was also a pain in Civ2. But we will see and I don't know so much about (Civ3 maybe fortunatly).

-Martin
                Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I've tried MedPack2 and agree that it improves the game three fold. First time I played the game with it installed, Barbarians went sick with 12 stack armies roaming the lands capturing cities at will.

I haven't tried the Cradle Pack yet, what are the major differences, if any?
                  Waiting on a Sunday afternoon, for what I read between the lines, your lies. Feelin' like a hand in rusted shame, so do you laugh or does it cry, reply?

Comment

Craddle is a Ancient centered mod. All of its changes are at the first ages. Many new types of ancient govs, units and advances.
                    The game starts at 7000BC and the AI is even more agressive then medmod.
                    -Jean Rostand

Comment

How about

My favorite Civ-type themes are the colonization of America (or something like it), and "Imperialism"-like, 19th century worldwide or Europe-wide stuff. Civ1 and 2 are pretty bad at these (AI doesn't like colonizing very much, and likes to conquer Indian cities before building any new ones). Do you think either CTP could do better at this?

Miznia
                      I hate oral!!

Comment

buy civ2 or Europa Universialis, ctp HAS to be modded. they dont. ask in there forums and youll get what you pay for, not crap to play-ctp waste of money. civ2 (or wait for 3) are much better, this communityis obviusly bias, dont make my mistake!!
                        "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Delete
                          Last edited by Pedrunn; August 2, 2001, 08:33.
                          -Jean Rostand

Comment

ctp HAS to be modded
                            But when it is, it kicks seven kinds of sh!t out of Civ2. This community may be biased, but everyone who has had one bad experience with CTP2, not modded it, and wasted their own money is probably more so.
                            The reason I stuck with CTP2 was because I had paid my money, and was not willing to see it wasted. If that means it was part of a large time/money investment to help improve the game, then so be it, but CTP2 is worth it for the low prices it should be now.
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

...further, CTP2 has (IMHO) a better interface, and better rules in PW and Tile Improvements. I'd love to enjoy Civ2 or TOT, but frankly, I keep drifting back to CTP2.

I just love the game - Wes's mods really boost this thing to the point where its quite a lot of fun to play. If you like Civ2, then play Civ2. Heck, given the price of both, you can sample the two and decide what plays best for you.
                              Bluevoss-

Comment

Working...
                              X