No announcement yet.

CTPII Succession Game; The second go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it certainly seems a blast to be involved in! Its given CTP2 a new lease of life for me. Being able to see what other players are thinking when they play the game has given me some new ideas and I've been playing a bit more of CTP2 because of it.

Dave
    Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

A Chronicle of the reign of Phoenixcager II, known as Apolyton XIII

In the year 300 AD, Phoenixcager II assumed office as leader of the great Greek republic.

310 AD Our advisors reported that 4 cities were on the verge of starvation. Rations are reduced accordingly in the 4 cities. In the same year, the treacherous Germans offer a ceasefire, which we reject, hoping for a chance to conquer more German land.

320 AD We finally emerge from anarchy to the new Greek Republic

330 AD Washington D.C. builds an aqueduct. The same year we launch an attack on the German city of Bremen, and it falls with ease! No losses are reported among our troops.

350 AD Construction starts on a bazaar in Hamburg

360 AD We discover gunpowder! For the 25 turns enemy city walls are less effective! Research on Calvary tactics begins immediately. Our advisors also report that we have entered the Renaissance age.
      City wall consruction commences for Frankfort. Our coracle discovers the Native American city of Sioux.

370 AD Caravan production begins in 3 cities in order to improve our trade situation. In the same year we attack and destroy a German catapult guarding the city of Munich. Our coracle discovers the NAative American city of Mohawk.

380 AD Our army retreats to Bremen on discovering an 11-unit force on the outskirts of Munich. A spice trade route is started between Essenheim and Corinth...trade receives a huge boost.

390 AD German catpults spotted near Allenwood...we rush buy a pikeman.

400 AD Our defending force of a knight, hoplite and pikeman attack the German catapults at Allenwood and destroy them. In the process we lose our hoplite unit (may they rest in peace).

410 AD Bazaar production commences in Frankfurt. Our coracle discovers the Native American city of Iroquois.

420 AD Another German catapult is spotted near Allenwood. We rush buy another pikeman.

430 AD Our scientists discover Calvary Tactics. This should be a good boost to our military capabilities. Perhaps victory over the Germans is in sight! The scientists are set to work on Cannon-making. The same year, a Hardwood trade route is set up between Bremen and Corinth.

In the year 450AD, Phoenixcager II goes senile and the council of presidential advisors begin the search for a replacement.

------------------
      phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
      Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Skeeve on 05-02-2001 07:53 PM
        • 1) tedwright@email.msn.com
        • 2) Mokael - Mokael@aol.com
        • 3) TR|X - mikemcgowan@btinternet.com
        • 4) Redstar1 - david.archibald@btinternet.com
        • 5) David Murray - david@windygates.com

That means we have 15 players for the next game, assuming the original 10 want to play again.

If there is sufficient interest to get 5 more players, then "Round 2" could consist of 2 games running in parallel. Then we could race to win .
        There may need to be a mix-around of players, but that shouldn't matter.

Come on all you people who are reading this, but not posting - PLAY THE GAME WHY DON'T YOU?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

been reading. looks like fun. think i'd be willing to join.

any ideas on that second game?
          diplomod? humongous map? less civs? increased timeslices fo ai?
          officially they don't help, but i still got that feeling they do
          well, but that's if everyone got plenty of ram/cpu-cycles though..

email: ctp@vilius.com
          v

Comment

Welcome Vilius
            I placed your name on the list, that will make you #6.

At this juncture, we are not entirely sure how the succession game will work with Mods. It may be especially difficult to make sure everyone has the same Mod. But, heck if we don't try, we won't know, right?

Our current game is being played with no Mods whatsoever, with the exception of the patch. Maybe we could try one with everyone running Diplomod or Frenzy next.

I'll tell you what... give me a few days and I'll start a new thread and open this to a vote. This way we can get a feel for who wants Mods, who doesn't and then we can form games around those preferences.

- Skeeve
            P.S. Why do I need a few days? Because I'm working on my take-home final exam this weekend! Sorry, these things always get in the way of Civin' don't they?

------------------
            My reach exceeds my grasp!
            My Reach always exceeds my Grasp...

Comment

I see phoenixcager has completed his turn. Did we check to make sure Octavius III is back from holiday? Is he playing this round, or abdicating his rule again?

On this note, if a player misses a round-for whatever reason-we should still conider him Apolyton __ . That way, I'm always Apolyton _1...easy for me to remember (And Skeeve is _2, and berXpert is _0, etc etc). It's just easier!

Sean.

------------------
              Give me Liberty, or give me death!
              "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
              --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Yes, good idea... and it also allows us to have fun with the story. For example: "As Apolyton XIV steps up to take office, 5 men with knives stab him in the back and Apolyton XV is the elected leader!!"

Okay... so I borrowed a little from Julius Caesar.

------------------

Comment

Another great job, Apolyton XIII!
                  So we have reached the Renaissance!
                  I know it's early, but I've begun speculating about who will actually get to have the honor of winning the game. The bad part is, if someone trys to achieve the science victory, he probably won't be able to finish it in his turn. Not to mention, that his successor could very well decide to abandon the whole project! I think the end-game is going to be quite exciting.

-Skeeve

P.S.
                  quote:

In the year 450AD, Phoenixcager II goes senile and the council of presidential advisors begin the search for a replacement.

Nice touch there!

------------------

Comment

I'd be willing to join a new succession game, if you'd have me. I'd consider myself a novice level player. Hope my skill level doesn't effect my being chosen for a new game, I've been playing civ since 5th or 6th grade, and I'm in 17th grade now

Adam
                    I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments, Skeeve

quote:

Originally posted by Sean on 05-03-2001 08:01 PM
                      I see phoenixcager has completed his turn. Did we check to make sure Octavius III is back from holiday? Is he playing this round, or abdicating his rule again?

Actually, I didn't check. How do I do that? Did he mention somewhere how long he'd be away?

------------------
                      Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

You know that e-mail address you sent the game file to? Well it can also be used to find out these sort of things... It should of been done earlier of course, and not neccasirily by you. He did post somewhere, in this thread or the other one, and he did give a rough estimate.

I just checked the old thread. He e-mailed Jonny the file, with the explanation he was on holiday...So, did he say when he was getting back Jonny?

Sean.

PS, of course Octavious III may surprise us all yet, am post his transcript!
                        [This message has been edited by Sean (edited May 04, 2001).]
                        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

i would be willing to play if you still need more people.
                          me_irate@hotmail.com

Comment

Will the 72-hour rule stretvh over the bank-holiday ? I can play, but it will be about 8pm GMT monday... Sorry, but I'm stuck on a yacht, and before you all say "Lucky Wombat, on a yacht", I am in Britain remember, with the rain rain rain...
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

After this game is over someone should go back in the thread and place all of the accounts of the game into one new post on a new summary thread. in this way people could go to one place to see the whole account of the game instead of having to search through this thread to find the relevant posts. it's just an idea, so let me know what you think.

------------------
                              DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                              DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                              EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                              AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Now, now Sean...no need for sarcasm...

I'm sending the file to Jonny with the message to play the turn if Octavius doesn't post within 72hours of 3rd May 11:14am (site's time)

I'll cc a copy to Skeeve just in case.

I probably won't be checking the board/email until Sunday night (this site's time)

------------------
                                Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X