X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple questions?

Hi,

I got a few questions:

1. I know I get a science victory by building the gaia controller. this consists of 3 pieces. But how can I built the Obelisks? I can't find it in the city. Do I use units to build it?

2. How can I built tile improvements? Cities build these automatically but I wanna build roads and other improvements outside of the city range.

Thanks for the response!
    -------------------------
    Sparge

1. Obelisks are tile improvements therefore you can find them at the same place as the radar staion.

2. To build tile improvements just open the tile improvement menue and of course you need enough public works. You can build things like fortifications radar stations or listening posts outside of you borders. But the terrain tile must be in the view of one of your units. So far as I know you aren't able to build farms, roads et cettera outside of your border. And I think this is an balance design decission. In CTP1 you are able to build roads or better maglevs and undersea tunnels directly to an enemy just to accelerate conquering. Maybe there is a way to change it. But you can expand by building fortifications on a neutral terrain tile. Then your are able to build roads there.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Re: Simple questions?

Thanks, found it!

i never used the tile menu before. I played it a few times untill 2300 ad. Now it's time for a science victory!

Sparge
      Sparge

Comment

how did you get up to 2300AD without building roads and stuff? How did you not see the tiles menu? How can you live with dumn mayors making your decisions?
        Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Well, that was easy. I did see the tile menu but didn't pay attention to it. roads and stuff were built automatically.... Yesterday I played CTP2 untill the end on hard with the science victory for the first time. That was a lot more fun to play !

PS: I don't use the mayors anymore now!
          Sparge

Comment

While we are on the subject...note that forts extend your borders out further (when built near the edge of a border). This is very handy for completing longish roads, and stopping pesky neighbours building cities on one of your continents.
            "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
            --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I've got a great game going now. All the land is taken up because it's full ocean and full island. The problem is there isn't any sea equivelent to the fort for when I build by trans ontinental sea tunnels. Does anyone have suggestions??
              Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

In CTP there was a "hidden" tile improvement that you could replace the sonar buoy with, that you could adjust to make act as a sonar buoy and sea-fort. I will have a look to see if it exists in CTP2, but I think from Martin's delving into the tileset index, it doesn't exist any more

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to build sea cities. Which brings me to another pet hate with CTP1/2, the AI doesn't build its sea cities strategically, just puts them next to its coastline.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

It's possible + tileimp.txt

Here is the part of the tileimp.txt about gforts

Code:
                  ############################################################

TILEIMP_FORTIFICATIONS {
                     Icon ICON_TILEIMP_FORTIFICATIONS
                     Tooltip TOOLTIP_TILEIMP_SELECT_FORT_BUTTON
                     Statusbar STATUSBAR_TILEIMP_SELECT_FORT_BUTTON
                     Level 1
                     IntBorderRadius 2
                     SquaredBorderRadius 5
                     Class:Structure1

ConstructionTiles 1
                     ConstructionTiles 80
                     ConstructionTiles 81

CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_BEACH
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_DEEP
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_RIFT
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_SHALLOW
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_SHELF
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_TRENCH
                     CantBuildOn TERRAIN_WATER_VOLCANO

Excludes:ATM
                     Excludes:Farm
                     Excludes:LandDetector
                     Excludes:Mine
                     Excludes:OceanFarm
                     Excludes:OceanDetector
                     Excludes:OceanATM
                     Excludes:Structure1
                     Excludes:Structure2
                     Excludes:OceanMine

TerrainEffect {
                        Terrain TERRAIN_BROWN_HILL
                        Terrain TERRAIN_BROWN_MOUNTAIN
                        Terrain TERRAIN_DESERT
                        Terrain TERRAIN_FOREST
                        Terrain TERRAIN_GLACIER
                        Terrain TERRAIN_GRASSLAND
                        Terrain TERRAIN_HILL
                        Terrain TERRAIN_JUNGLE
                        Terrain TERRAIN_MOUNTAIN
                        Terrain TERRAIN_PLAINS
                        Terrain TERRAIN_SWAMP
                        Terrain TERRAIN_TUNDRA
                        Terrain TERRAIN_WHITE_HILL
                        Terrain TERRAIN_WHITE_MOUNTAIN

VisionRange 2
                        DefenseBonus 0.5
                        EnableAdvance ADVANCE_STONE_WORKING
                        ProductionCost 1000
                        ProductionTime 4
                        TilesetIndex 82
                     }
                  }

############################################################
                  from CODE above

IntBorderRadius 2
                  SquaredBorderRadius 5
                  I think these lines make the fort to a border extending tile improvement.

from CODE above

VisionRange 2
                  This line should estends your vision range.

It should be possible to add a seafort to the game without removing one of the existing tile improvements. I never took a look on the hidden tile improvement in CTP1. Therefore I wasn't able to identify it. By the way I made tileimp.txt with 927 extra tile improvements just to take a look on the graphics. Maybe you can identify it in all of the graphics. The exrtra tile improvements can only placed on the map by the cheat editor. And some of the tile improvements could produce a crash. The reason for it is a mistyped TilesetIndex. Instead of 433 4333. 927 is the last TilesetIndex bigger numbers will cause a crash.

I attched this file to this post.

-Martin
                  Attached Files
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

or you could just have one extra settler handy to make the neccesarry connections, disband the city later.

or is that a cheat?
                    Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                    Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                    "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

I guess if you added a sea fort, you would still have to use the same graphic, and it has a desert-looking floor to it, so would look a little strange. If I can get a *.til editor, I will attempt to get the sea-fort from CTP into CTP2.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                      X