What about modem to modem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about modem to modem?

Can we have modem to modem? In some parts of the world, like New Zealand where I'm from, local calls are free so I'd like to play against a friend of mine without having to pay ISP charges. This use to be a common option for multi-player games. surely it's not too hard to add in.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

I remember two years ago when CTP first came out, some one figured out how to do this. I don't know if Markos has this old thread archived, but if he does, maybe he can find it. The way it was done was pretty simple. The trick was to have one computer call the other one, and then establish a TCP/IP connection over the phone line. Effectively establishing a modem to modem LAN. Then just start CTP and then select multiplayer in TCP/IP LAN. And there you were, a modem to modem multiplayer game. I wish I knew the exact steps to do this, but I know it worked.

Comment

In other words, it would be little problem for the program to have a modem-to-modem option so we wouldn't have to fiddle around with things ourselves.
      Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
      Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Working...
      X