Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by jbs on 11-13-2000 10:53 AM
    This has to be hoax. Mark please confirm that this is a hoax. I find it very hard that Activision would be this dumb. And for all those who say a mod will fix it - my question is why do the customers have to fix the game. Again please confirm that this is a hoax!

There is nothing wrong with the game just becouse they didn't include the Legion unit. This is NOT a bug. Just a decision. They can't please everyone. I personal couldn't care less if they include Legion in the game or not. It's true that Legions was important for the romans but that doesn't mean it HAVE to be in the game. They can't include ALL units that have been important over time..... that would be caos! Someone like the Legion, someone like the Samurai, someone like the Catapult. Everyone can't get what they get. If they want all the units they likethey have to fix it them self. Thats why the game is VERY customizable.

Byebye Legion .... I will not miss you.

aCa@civ
    aCa (a Civilization addict)

Comment

My reason for being pist about taking legions away is that the legion type guy was more common thatn the samurai type guy. The legion dudes were used by romans, greeks, persians, goths, byzantines, carthaginians, and so on... The samurai were exclusive to the japs and i think korea but that was about it.
      Plus the samurai were feudal lords, not soldiers like a legionaire. The samurai is not an ancient type of army like the legion, it is more modern (i think it was around 1200 a.d.), while the legion dates back to 400 b.c.

[This message has been edited by Stratesford (edited November 13, 2000).]

Comment

I read once in one of the bigger game-magazines about the hardships of Bullfrog developer-team, and their game "Theme Park" (the first, older version).

They was suppose to make an Japanese version of the game, but the Japanese´s INSISTED on that those little fellows running around on the screen should all have FIVE FINGERS on each hands!!! Not just three, like in the versions exported everywhere else.

Because Japan was such a big important market for this particullar game, these guys just *have* to sit down and do something about it. And they DID!

Comment

btw, the samurai unit existed in ctp1 as well...

Comment

But it was introduced at the correct time.

Comment

I have to admit I rarely used the Legion unit and I don't really have a problem with the Samurai. However, it seems pretty ridiculous that the Samurai replaces the Legion. Both were in CTP1 and fit in their space. If one of the units was to be removed from CTP2 it should have been the Samurai.

I don't usually change graphics and alter files, but I think I'll be replacing the Samurai with the Legion.

------------------
              “The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
              they said.” — President Clinton
              “The American people have now spoken, but it’s going to take a little while to determine exactly what
              they said.” — President Clinton

Comment

If you can still start a random map using scenario paramaters in ctp2 i'll change the graphic. I'll wont
                change the "main" stuff for ctp2 cuz' then you can't play m.p.

Comment

quote:

Post Scriptum: I don't like to customize, and certainly not graphics

Very hard that is
                  And you mustnt even do anything with graphics. All you have to do is open a sprites.txt and add a Legion Sprite Number. Copy the Sprite from ctp1 in the sprites folder with the number assigned you gave in sprites.txt. Then open units.txt and change the sprite of the samurai. You are done.
                  Then you can exchange the tgas if you like (again take those from ctp1 and copy them over the samurai ones from ctp2).

ATa

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Paulypav on 11-13-2000 10:04 PM
                    it seems pretty ridiculous that the Samurai replaces the Legion
                    who said anything like that? it's just the legion was removed and the samurai stayed

Comment

I still don't like that they removed the legions. They were the most important army formation in ancient history.
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 11-13-2000 12:40 PM
                        Very hard that is
                        ATa

I didn't say it's hard, I said I don't like to do that. I like to play the game the way it is. I modified Civ2 many, many times (including graphics), and finally I always returned to the original one. And whatever you or others may say, I think it's illogical to remove from a history game the legions.

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

Up with legions! I agree with criticism of the regretable decision to overlook legions. And thanks to all you who have suggested a work-around.

------------------

'Blood will run'
                          'Blood will run'

Comment

You know; I think Hannibal's war elephants were more important than Samurai and no one is complaining about that. What about the chariot?

I think it would be better if units were names for the function they served.
                            Ancient Light Infantry (Warrior)
                            Ancient Garrison (Hoplite Phalanx whatever)
                            Ancient Main Infantry (Legion)
                            Ancient Strike Infantry (Samurai).
                            Ancient Light Mobile
                            etc...

Besides. The Samurai emerged by the beginning of Japan's feudal period in the 12th century.

That makes it a Medieval unit (which incidentally was roughly 1000ce-1500ce at which time the Renaissance began... which again is more accurately later part of the Middle Ages which *sigh* CTP rather obtusely refers to the entire period as the Renaissance...)

However, I'd rather have historical inaccuracies, which I can fix, than bugs I can't so geez... focus on what's important. While I do intend to fix these details its hardly worth a lynching.

[This message has been edited by Gedrin (edited November 14, 2000).]

Comment

The samurai did replace the legion, you get legions with iron working now you get samurai. Chariots were not that important in history, since they were obsoleted by horse archers and armoured cavalry

Comment

Working...
                              X