Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some regrets & about the video resolution...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some regrets & about the video resolution...

First of all, thanks for the great work you do, MarkG !

I've been playing Civ since Civ1 although I never really used scenarios or modifications, and I'm alittle bit disappointed CTP 2 is just a kind of "update" to CTP 1... I would have preferred to wait longer and really have big changes. The only things which seems important to me in CTP 2 as far as I've read are the diplomacy improvement and the territory management (city radius/border lines). I hoped there would be more "non-traditionnal units" (I am one of these rare gamers who try to avoid direct conflict as much as possible and specific city buildings depending of the land (especially for underworld cities ! So sad space has been abandonned too... yet it's true it was pretty useless in CTP 1, but, hey, that was quite a great idea to improve !)

Anyway, about the video resolution, I recently played CTP 1 on a friend's new PC and I was quite surprised to see one could choose up to 1600*1200 ! Given that this is precisely the maximum Windows resolution my friend has (GeForce 2 MX (32 MB) w/ 19 inches monitor), I guess CTP 1 (and probably CTP 2) can use any resolution your Win configuration can. Am I totally wrong on this subject ? Anyway, I can swear I played CTP 1 in 1600*1200 and that was quite nice

A long-time Civ fan,

Yeba

quote:

Originally posted by Yeba on 11-12-2000 09:22 AM
    I'm alittle bit disappointed CTP 2 is just a kind of "update" to CTP 1... I would have preferred to wait longer and really have big changes. The only things which seems important to me in CTP 2 as far as I've read are the diplomacy improvement and the territory management (city radius/border lines).
    and all the combat changes(new attibutes, flanking units, more units/tile), the mayors, the interface changes, the better code(ctp2 runs faster than ctp1), the totally re-worked map/scenario editor, etc etc

quote:

Anyway, about the video resolution, I recently played CTP 1 on a friend's new PC and I was quite surprised to see one could choose up to 1600*1200 ! Given that this is precisely the maximum Windows resolution my friend has (GeForce 2 MX (32 MB) w/ 19 inches monitor), I guess CTP 1 (and probably CTP 2) can use any resolution your Win configuration can. Am I totally wrong on this subject ? Anyway, I can swear I played CTP 1 in 1600*1200 and that was quite nice
    i dont remember a 1600x1200 choice in ctp1 and i dont have it in front of me right now. Mr Ogre told me in the chat that there is a 1600x1200 choice in ctp2 too. but in my build there isn't...

now that i think of it, perhaps my video card doesnt support 1600x1200 and that's why the choice is not shown. i'll have to check it when i get home

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 11-12-2000 09:45 AM
      now that i think of it, perhaps my video card doesnt support 1600x1200 and that's why the choice is not shown. i'll have to check it when i get home

That's precisely what I meant... Sorry if it was a little bit confusing !

To be perfectly clear :
      On my own PC, the maximum video resolution I could choose in CTP 1 was, IIRC, 1152*864 (no higher resolutions were proposed). That's why I was surprised to see 1600*1200 (and 1280*1024, of course) enabled on my friends's PC.
      Given that in both cases, the video resolutions available in CTP are exactly the same as the ones available in Windows (because of the video card and/or the monitor), I think there might well be a link between these two facts (I guess Watson would approve )
      But I must say I'm a little bit surprised no one observed it before.
      So, all of you Civ-fans, have anyone been in the same situation ?

Yeba

Comment

First of all, thanks for the great work you do, MarkG!
        Hey now, what about me Yeba?

----------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DanQ on 11-12-2000 01:38 PM
          First of all, thanks for the great work you do, MarkG!

----------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS

Thanks Dan.and Mark..as allways you have my support..as you and activision have allways had!..

BTW..I guess I am a "Danger"..to some..but a Staunch supporter for the Great CTP:1..and am, absolutely drooling for the first game of CTP:2..(Pant Pant Pant)

Troll

P.S.

Hello Big Dave..

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Troll on 11-12-2000 01:49 PM
            Thanks Dan.and Mark..as allways you have my support..as you and activision have allways had!..

Hey Dan, at least you get called out by name, we get lumped into "Activision". Nobody ever remembers us as individuals, just a corporation.

Pyaray

P.S. In case anyone missed it, I am joking about this. I fully realize there are too many people from Activision to name us all individually.
            8)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Pyaray on 11-12-2000 04:06 PM
              Hey Dan, at least you get called out by name, we get lumped into "Activision". Nobody ever remembers us as individuals, just a corporation.

Pyaray

P.S. In case anyone missed it, I am joking about this. I fully realize there are too many people from Activision to name us all individually.
              8)

Mr. Ogre
              Pyaray
              St. Swithin
              Lt. John

are the most prolific posters to these forums (I know I missed at least 2 more), and we do very much appreciate your taking time to come in here and chat with us!!
              Respectfully,

Big Dave
              Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

My card have 32M and support 1600x1200 but the best i have in CTP I is 1152x864.

Comment

Was just checking to make sure that I was still in the picture

Back to the topic at hand...

----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                  X