Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions I can't find answers to

Hi all, couple quesitons about CTP:

- Does diplomacy EVER work? Seems no matter what I do, how many requests I comply with the other civs. are always ticked about something. Makes me wonder if its ever worth the effort...

- Every once in a while, a rival civ will have a unit on my terrritory and I will hear horns playing and will see for a moment the unit blowing two trumpets; I cant find anything in the manual about this so I have no idea what they are doing...?

- I had a diplomat in a civ that I was at peace with. I made an embassy, held a few recpeptions, then they killed him...is this normal?

TIA

Re: Some questions I can't find answers to

Originally posted by btn
    - Does diplomacy EVER work? Seems no matter what I do, how many requests I comply with the other civs. are always ticked about something. Makes me wonder if its ever worth the effort...
    It does... It takes a lot of perseverance, you'll usually have to give them gold and advances and all sorts if you really want to make friends. Be the one to offer things, don't just agree to their demands. Also, use the right tone of voice. If they're powerful, be meek, if they're weak, be benevolent etc.
    - Every once in a while, a rival civ will have a unit on my terrritory and I will hear horns playing and will see for a moment the unit blowing two trumpets; I cant find anything in the manual about this so I have no idea what they are doing...?
    This is some kind of diplomatic action. Either they're forming an embassy or holding a reception (maybe) - if it's a diplomat; or else pillaging your tile improvements, or pirating a trade route that's going over your land.

- I had a diplomat in a civ that I was at peace with. I made an embassy, held a few recpeptions, then they killed him...is this normal?
    I don't know. I think perhaps they don't like it if you hold too many receptions.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The behavior of the AI civs is sometimes weird. An AI civ can be your best friend a turn and can backstab you the next one for a minimal profit although you have helped him against one of its opponents or you have given him a lot of money.

I will only tell you to watch your steps and to never trust them completely.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I did some pillaging and its the same animation I have been seeing so I think I know what that means now. I am getting my butt kicked as the Russians have machine gunners now and all I have is infantry and cannon Coupled with the fact that Isreal is ticked because I am on "their" continent (who was there first?) and they just attacked me,,,grr now I have wars on two fronts.

Some good strategy tips here, although I think I might have messed up the early game, so we will see how things go

Comment

The two horns blowing may also indicate that units are being 'removed' from your territory if you have a no tresspassing agreement with another civ. I know that in the Cradle mod, if a civ has a stack in your territory, that one of them will be kicked per turn, with the accompying horns and sounds.

Also, with your war on two fronts you can do a couple of things:

1) Sue for a cease fire, but it sounds as though you may have done that already.

2) Try to steal some techs from another civ.

3) Or try this backhanded trick: Send out a settler anywhere and form a new city. Then offer a cease fire and the new city you just settled. Sometimes it works, but they might also reattack you the very next turn. I've done it before.

4) Even if you have crappy units compared to them, fill your cities up with them and defensive structures (walls, ballista towers, etc) to make your cities more resistant to attack.

5) Finally, don't give up! Set goals for the tech you want, in this case you need military upgrades. Using the 'set goal' button when researching techs will streamline the process so you aren't researching techs that won't take you immediately to your goal.

Hope this helps!
          The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Unless you are very lucky and have a couple of 'Nice' AI's around you at the game start, you will always run the risk of being backstabed by the AI. The Mods give alot of advantages to the AI(Techs etc) so you will always be behind until the mid-late game(MiddleAges onwards(knights etc.)). This in turn affects how the AI regaurds you, which means they will look on you as dog-poo untill you are more powerfull. So most civs will take all the help you are willing to give them and will most likely betray you at some point, atleast untill you start to push up the rankings on the powergraph. Best bet is to not to rely too much on any treaties you may have. Keep your cities well defended and hope you share your world with some trade minded or peacefull civs
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
            X