frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated

Ok, I'm kind of a newbie here, but I have enjoyed playing Civ games forever. After beating a full computer compliment on the more difficult settings, I have been ready to move on to playing real people in CTP2. Well just so happens that a good friend of mine has CTP2 also, so we were going to go head to head the other night. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to play someone online...

I click multiplayer, then select internet games and wait forever for it to connect to a server, which it never does. Does this server even exist? Can I connect to another player using TCP/IP LAN? I wish it was easy like other games and you could just connect with a direct IP, but I guess that's hoping for too much. Am I doing something wrong? Is it right in front of my face? My friend had the same exact problem. I don't know if it helps, but I have the most up to date patch, and I am on cable.

Please someone help me!!! I know I probably sound stupid, but I don't want to be forced to play the computer forever...

Thanks for reading.

Solid74, the most likely problem is with ther server.dat file. For some reason, it gets corrupt. This seems to be pretty common. Never fear, however because you can download another one in the download section.

Try this link: http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...b_pages&cat=29

I hope it helps

Comment

Re: frustrated

Originally posted by Solid74
      Can I connect to another player using TCP/IP LAN?
      Yes you can play using TCP/IP LAN but you will need the two computers on your own network (ie, two computers in your house connected by CAT-5). TCP/IP LAN doesn't work for internet play, it's only used for Local Area Networks (LAN).

Comment

Does that mean if you have a router in your house connecting two LAN's you similarly can't play MP?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

No, the two computers can play a LAN game. Solid74 mentioned the "LAN" option in the game connection - I was just reiterating that inorder for two (or more) players to play a "LAN" game, they (the computers) must be on a network. Ogie, with both of your computers hooked up through your router, they can play a LAN game - if they can "see" each other (ie, share files), they can play a LAN game. The version of the servers.dat file does not effect a LAN game. The servers.dat file is only for internet play.

Comment

Working...
          X