Weird problem with SAP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird problem with SAP2

I was at Wal-Mart this weekend and noticed Call to Power 2 in a cart near the checkout. It was marked $4.95 and I didn't see how I could pass that up (even though I knew virtually nothing about CTP). So I grabbed it.

I've been playing SMAC for awhile. I got Civ2 after SMAC but was never really able to get into it. I must say my first impressions of CTP2 are very good. I stumbled onto the forums (not really... I've been lurking on Apolyton for awhile, but never really went to the CTP2 forum before), and was well-pleased to find Vel here. He's done a lot of the hard work for me

Anyway, last night I downloaded everything I needed to get SAP2 running... the patch, ModSwap, etc. I was looking forward to trying my first non-vanilla game when a strange thing happened... one of my two settlers (I was at medium difficulty) decided to have a mind of it's own after the first turn. It started moving around randomly. I could tell it to go somewhere else for one turn, and it would listen, but then after that it would start moving on its own again. Not sure if this is a bug or my computer (or maybe my wife) just has it out for me. Anyone else seen this?

After some experimenting, I was able to turn off the auto-select next unit (or whatever they're labelled... I don't remember) advanced options and manually select each settler and move it around. Once I had two cities built, everything seemed fine after that point. I was able to reactivate the options, and future units didn't have the problem. The warriors I built moved around to my command... it seems to just plague the second settler. Oh, I'm playing on XP if that helps. I tried different difficulty settings where there is only one settler and still saw problems... in that case the one settler was going wacky. I also tried running SAP2 in different compatibility modes (Win95, Win98/ME) but still saw the same issue.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey man! Glad you're enjoying the game!

I had that very same problem in SAP2 on the easier levels of play. I solved it by selecting that settler and building my city on the first turn. After that, no problems....I'm guessing that it's something in the SLIC code, rather than anything you're doing.

AWESOME that you're giving CtP2 a try! You'll be hooked and hopelessly addicted in no time!

-=Vel=-
    (fellow addict)
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

It is a bug in the freenzy code, definatly. You also get it if you reload slic later in the game some other unit will have its own mind. But as long as you don't need to reload slic you shouldn't encounter this problem.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was just afraid to go too far in a game and have the same problem come back to haunt me. I can deal with it in the beginning. Tonight I can play without fear (well, almost... ).

Thanks again.

Oh, and is it driving anybody else crazy that I misspelled weird? I keep thinking it says wired or some crazy Tolkien word... oh,well...

Comment

Originally posted by araby
          Oh, and is it driving anybody else crazy that I misspelled weird? I keep thinking it says wired or some crazy Tolkien word... oh,well...
          No, not really. But if it's bothering you, it only takes me about 3 seconds to fix it. In fact, I already did
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
          X