No announcement yet.

Potential Cradle Bug, or just bad luck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Cradle Bug, or just bad luck?

Started my first game of Cradle (huge map, 8 civs, max barbs, "hard" difficulty)....as the Celts, of course! (being a strapping Celtic lad myself, what can I say?

Anyway, I wound up near the Han and the Babs. Not long after the founding of my fifth city, the sound of a weighted net began bein' heard over my turf....a bit of investigating turned up a Bab slaver. Poof, two dead Bab slavers and war with that nation.

No problemo....'cept that when I took their last city and enslaved (conquered the civ) and opted to enslave it (only three tiles distant, too close for my liking), the game froze. No error message, it just stopped responding.

Anybody else seen that one?

Anyway, early impressions of Cradle are that IT ROCKETH!!! In fact, for my next test game--as I'm feelin' in the mood for a little kicka$$--will be last month's tourney game.....here goes!

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Never experienced this problem....so it must be bad luck on your part.

Comment

I have experienced this error before too. Martin should take a look at it
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

Vel: If you saved, exited, and relaunched Cradle were you able to continue? I haven't experienced that bug but maybe I've never enslaved the last city of a given civ.
        "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Nahh, I just started over....hadn't really put all that much time into it, and was anxious to download the game of the month....

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Re: Potential Cradle Bug, or just bad luck?

Originally posted by Velociryx
            Anyway, I wound up near the Han and the Babs. Not long after the founding of my fifth city, the sound of a weighted net began bein' heard over my turf....a bit of investigating turned up a Bab slaver. Poof, two dead Bab slavers and war with that nation.

No problemo....'cept that when I took their last city and enslaved (conquered the civ) and opted to enslave it (only three tiles distant, too close for my liking), the game froze. No error message, it just stopped responding.

Anybody else seen that one?
            Well I never saw this but I have to admit that I never tested it to enslave the last city, because I wanted to be able to replace the city of that civ, unfortunatly I am not able to place a settler or city of this civ on the map afterwards it was killed, maybe here lies the problem, I should do a player is valid check before the city is enslaved.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Martin,

Could you also take a look at the PW bonus that a player gets (not the 75 per pop bonus, but the chunk of PW from the AI civ fund) Vel got over 10,000 on approx. turn 150 from a city capture, and the city was size 3.

Needless to say, this is a little too much to be getting, especially so early in the game. Could you scale this down to 1/10 of that, or disable this part of the code.

Thanks
              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Update on that:

It's now 3760BC and my war with the Eutruscians continues. Captured and kept a size six city (became a five upon moving in), captured and enslaved a size five city. I had spent all but some 3k of my public works points (had to make some loooooong roads, and some thru some pretty expensive territory.

Net results tho, after one additional city capture, and one enslavement:

PW is back up to 27,472. I've currently got my PW set to 10%, so I can *maybe* take credit for 172 of that myself, but I'm not complaining....

-=Vel=-

Comment

And you still have PW set to 10%?? May i suggest some trading posts and latifundas? That tech gap is a killer, unless you already have all those, you must be well placed with tile imps now.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

LOL! Actually, I turned my PW off! Two more city captures and it's up to almost 70k. I don't have the techs yet for any of the coolio terraforming, tho they'll be really cheaply bought when I'm done with my current beeline. My first stop was the tech for Fortifications, and I'm researching it now....the farm techs and such are all 8-9 turns each tho, even without any of the fancy terraforming yet! (yep...the ONLY terraforming in my kingdom so far is roads and whatever happened to be in and around the cities I conquered!)

So....the plan is to build some forts, get those borders secured, and then terraform my nice (safe, and hopefully resistant to pillaging) lands!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                      Martin,

Could you also take a look at the PW bonus that a player gets (not the 75 per pop bonus, but the chunk of PW from the AI civ fund) Vel got over 10,000 on approx. turn 150 from a city capture, and the city was size 3.
                      I could make it so that the number of PW you steals is depending on the city size, and wheather it is the capital, but the problem that the AI has to much PW will still be there.

Originally posted by hexagonian
                      Needless to say, this is a little too much to be getting, especially so early in the game. Could you scale this down to 1/10 of that, or disable this part of the code.

Thanks
                      Disabling is always the last thing you should do, the real sollution of this problem would be to make the AI to use the PW and maybe give them less of them, so you could disable player1's PW cheat. Obviously the AI doesn't need the additional PW.

-Martin

Comment

Could I just change the following entries...

AddGold(player[0], (PlayerGold(player[1]))/Player[1].cities);
                        AddGold(player[1], -(PlayerGold(player[1]))/Player[1].cities);
                        MGPwP0 = MGPwP0 + ((player[1].publicworkslevel)/Player[1].cities);
                        MGPwP1 = MGPwP1 - ((player[1].publicworkslevel)/Player[1].cities);

To

AddGold(player[0], (PlayerGold(player[1]))/20);
                        AddGold(player[1], -(PlayerGold(player[1]))/20);
                        MGPwP0 = MGPwP0 + ((player[1].publicworkslevel)/20);
                        MGPwP1 = MGPwP1 - ((player[1].publicworkslevel)/20);

...so that the PW gain would only be 1/20 of the total fund? This will prevent the early game human windfall, allow the AI to keep its reserve for its early-mid game kick, and also allow the player to still make some sizable PW gains later in the game.

The 75 per pop setting is fine though...
                        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

That is a temprorial fix, Dave. I would rather find it more reasonable if it depends on the actual PW size, but of course that could be handed diffrently in the early game or you could do it PW size dependent.

-Martin

Comment

The setting in DiffDB.txt was one that had been in place before you sent me the code. For the current SP game, the bonus is at 4,000PW, so my guess is that the main culprit for the early game AI PW surplus is in Player1's code. Taking away the 4,000 that the AI starts with will not put too much of a dent in that surplus though, especially with Vel ending up with 75,000 PW...

I am actually very happy with the way the AI has been using it's PW funds, and have gone into the cheat mode (later in the game) and the surplus AI PW fund has been very reasonable, so I do not want to touch the ongoing bonus.

The thing is, I want to keep in your code, because it provides a way for a player to carry on a war and bypass the caps, but at the same time, a player can choose to make the game more challenging for himself by choosing not to use that option.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                              I could make it so that the number of PW you steals is depending on the city size, and wheather it is the capital, but the problem that the AI has to much PW will still be there.
                              But isn't there a section of the code that also adds PW to your account by directly taking from the AI main fund divided by the number of AI cities. This is the one part of the code that may be giving the huge amounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X