Comment thread for the Celtic AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment thread for the Celtic AAR

Figured that since I'll be posting the AAR in segments, and to keep the actual AAR separate from the comments for ease of reading, I'd open a comment thread first, in case there are any....AAR thread to follow shortly.....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Before anyone else gets in there... AAR?
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

After Action Report....not QUITE accurate in this case, as the game is still ongoing, but I was having a good time writing 'bout it....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Ahhh, and I guess some mention should be made of game settings:

World size - normal
        Accepted the defaults for world construction, goods, etc.
        Impossible difficulty
        Max Barbarians
        8 Civs
        Modding: SAP2

-=Vel=-

Comment

Slightly embarrassing that the AI was rolled over so easy but i look forward to the next installment!
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Your AAR didn't mention the Barbarian threat - how are they on SAP2?

Good story so far...

Comment

Yep, barbarians are a pain in the arse when they start stacking from nowhere in SAP, in my experience. I dont know what turn it is but theyll be creeping around soon.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Thanks guys! And funny you should mention the barbs....their frightening appearance will be revealed in the next installment!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Next installment is up, just before quittin' time!

-=Vel=-

Comment

The second chapter has left me anxious for part III...
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Vel:

BTW, how does the SAP2 AI, gameplay and flow compare with other games of the genre? Does it bring CTP2 up to Civ1 and SMAC levels?

Oh, and how bout some screenies?

Comment

Thanks guys....did the first two installments from memory, but will remember to bring my trusty notebook with me to work tomorrow so I can add further detail (which may include editing these first two posts....don't know tho...I think I hit the high spots and didn't leave out anything important!).

As to pacing, and quality of the AI....I found the AI to be about average for TBS games (tho I can well imagine that unmodded, I would already be in firm control of the continent). I'd say it blows the doors cleanly off of Civ, and rivals SMAC in terms of sheer enjoyment....on a certain level (given that the game has a certain historical rootedness, it even surpasses SMAC, tho SMAC's movies were more dynamic and engaging (and thus, provided a more immersive gaming experience). Nonetheless, if I had to rate this game on the ol' ten scale, I'd give SMAC a 9, and CtP2 a solid 8.5 (and SMAC was my all time favorite!)--and Nancy just peeked over my shoulder and said "and the game virgin gives it a 7!" (she's a total CtP2 addict tho... two nights in a row now, she was up till 3am, if that tells you anything! *G* )

Screenies are on the way....in truth, I didn't even THINK of doing that till I had secured my borders, so the first screenies will be making their appearance sometime after episode three is posted (in which, the Celtic nation squares off against the fierce Barbs, Spaniards, Dutchmen, and the mighty Russian bear....all at the same time, no less!) More later....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Vel:

Glad to hear that the SAP2 Mod rates well. Makes my heart swell, and eyes glisten to know that my Mod is enjoyable.

BTW, if you're after agression, wait till you try Cradle Mod. In SAP2 I was aiming more for that well-rounded AI, whereas Cradle is definitely a warmonger AI.

Comment

Sweeeeeeet writeup Vel...

8.5?????? That close to SMAC???? Who'd thunk that...

We are truly humbled by the glowing report.

Tell all your friends
                            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Part III -

Thank god for that Dutch cease-fire Now, how long will it last?...

On a side note, I have never used the "retreat" option during battles... Maybe because I mainly play over LAN with my partner and retreat doesn't work on MP games... but I can see how it would come in handy at times.
                              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                              X