No announcement yet.

Multiplayer - some network questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee and I thought it was me. My friend and I are trying to play a CTP2 APOL Pack game via lan and the non host computer is constantly re-syncing. Also of note, his city graphics are never correct. Playing the greeks, he is getting the asian city graphics. In fact no matter what civ he picks he gets the asian graphics. Any thoughts on this?

PS: It works fine if he plays single player.

Comment

I've been working a bit on getting the Activision ANet server up and running on a linux box, and I think I have it working. I haven't tested with an actual game yet (one computer with CTP2 only), but the game will join the lobby and chat.

The attached script contains an ebuild file and support files for Gentoo Linux. I'd only recommend playing with this if you have an existing Gentoo installation and are very familiar with how your network setup works, though.

I can't, unfortunately, offer a public server -- my IP is dynamic, but there seems to be nothing preventing it if someone has a static (and public) IP.

[edit: deleted attachment, use the better version two messages down]

Comment

thanks!
        unfortunately I don't have a static IP at my disposal either...

Comment

Don't thank anyone yet; the only system I know this will build on is my own. I would, however love to hear from anyone who's tried it. As I said above, this is only a package suitable for

Even with a dynamic IP, the servers.dat generated by the test-tool is perfectly valid as long as the server's IP doesn't change. My CTP2 on desktop will connect to the server and join the lobby, and it will see players 'created' by the test-tool (included with server). [For the record, this is post-patch CTP. I think that pre-patch CTP uses a different lobby number that I haven't added].

A word of warning, though -- the server documentation says that the server will not work if the computer is behind a NAT firewall, but again I have not tested this [the system I'm running it on -is- the router].

Attached is a slightly updated ebuild, with a few configuration changes -- if you were among the 0 people to download the original version, it should work just fine.

For non-Gentoo users, ebuild -can- create a binary RPM, and I'll do so upon request. However, I'm not sure if the initialization scripts will work too well, I doubt they're magically translated into Redhat format.

[edit -- one more time, built it on a friend's system and found/fixed more problems. It definitely !like NAT.]
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X