Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ctp2 crashes on XP

Hi

I'm having a problem after upgrading w2k to windows xp... the game freezes after playing something like 20 minutes and after being frozen for a while windows gives a bluescreen complaining about infinite loops and nv4_disp which is one of the driver files for my geforce2mx...

Then the computer restarts and windows wants to make a problem report for microsoft... which i usually let it do. Has anyone encountered a similiar problem? I read about someone having trouble in patching the game on XP but mine was patched nice and easy... Its a legal copy too.

Computer I'm using is duron 850 on asus a7v mainboard with 256 mb ram and the aforementioned gainwards geforce2 mx plus soundblaster live.. I upgraded drivers for mainboard (for via's chipset) and gf2 (from nvidia.com the latest detonators) to the most current version but all it seemed to do was to make the game crash more quicker.. how typical

Does anyone have a suggestion other than downgrading my OS to windows 98?
    Jne hugs his own big green boomie

Hmm i would certainly try downgrading your nvidia drivers first. Im using detenators drivers too for my lowly tnt2, the driver is version 21.83 with windows 98se

I had to try a few versions of the detonators drivers before i got one that worked for all my games. I dont risk upgrading them anymore, not until a get a better computer anyway.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised. Just about everything crashes on windows XP. Microsoft just plain dropped the ball...
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm rather surprised. WIndows XP is so far the most stable thing I've ever used, better still than W2k, but then I'm probably all alone on this. Just to say CtP2 works fine on my comp with XP.
        In my experience the biggest mistake is to upgrade an existing installation to XP - the changes in the system are too big. Everything runs more reliable and smoother if you do a clean install from scratch.

P.S. I'm in no way a Microsoft fan, and I never would send them the problem report, because that just tells them about everything about your machine.

Comment

Seems that changing the resolution to 800x600 (from 1024x768) and setting the hardware acceleration down a few notches from display properties resolved the crashing issue - I haven't had time to test which procedure actually did it and since I'm now at work and pretty soon drunken I won't be having time to ponder about this

By the way; who ever decided that 800x600 mode should be even included in the game should go out more.

Comment

Yeah im pretty sure it was the decrease in hardware acceleration. Thats exactly what i did but it got boring pretty quickly changing it just to play one game. At first it wouldnt work with Total War either so i decreased it and it went slooooooow so i decided to downgrade my drivers instead.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Someone should add that to the troubleshooting faq if theres one and it isn't there yet :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jne
                ...I haven't had time to test which procedure actually did it and since I'm now at work and pretty soon drunken I won't be having time to ponder about this
                What kind of job do you have that you get drunk while working!?!
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                X