Is this game worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this game worth getting?

I want to know if this game is worth buying, you know with PTW coming out I wanted to see if the old games are really better than the new. And does this game requier the original call to power????

call to power(CTP) and call to power2(CTP2) are both complete games in their own right so you won't need one to run the other.
    If you can get them cheap(around $12 say), then they are a definate must have(I've got one copy of CTP and two of CTP2). They are different games to civ, but the general idea is almost the same.
    You will find most replys you get here will be positive towards both games - we are CTP/CTP2 fans. These games are not supported by their publishers any more and only here will you find people still trying to change the games for the better.
    Old games being better than new? Well some are - i like to track down 'classic' games and i'd have CTP/CTP2 in that list.
    hope this helps a little in your decision.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

CTP2 is a crap, better buy Civilization III.
      Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

I already have Civ III

Comment

I think he just meant what he said. He thinks CTP2 is crap, and if it helps i might get PTW(but don't own Civ3) when it comes out. Again if you can get them cheap then it's not money wasted - give them a chance, read the overview of the mods to try(CTP2 is best played with a Mod), and if you have problems with any of the mod setup there are people here to help you get it sorted.
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

If you can get it cheap, go for it
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

One more Question

Are there space colonies in CTP2? And underwater cities???? Can you colonize new planets?? And is 15$ considered cheap enough to get it? Also do the mods contain new units?

Comment

no, yes, no, yes but don't stop looking for cheaper, yes mostly.
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Sweet, thats good enough for me, this game has more options than Civ3, I like

Comment

Im defenently goin to best buy tonight, WOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: One more Question

Originally posted by Republic_Outlaw
                      Are there space colonies in CTP2? And underwater cities???? Can you colonize new planets?? And is 15$ considered cheap enough to get it? Also do the mods contain new units?
                      There are no space colonies in CTP2. They dropped it, because of gameplay issures and maybe Activision financal problems were too huge at this time to implement this. But it has underwater cities (one reason why CTP2 is better then Civ3). You can't colonize new planets if you mean you start on a map and at the end you move to a new map. That would be an interesting feature but not easy to find a good way to implement it.

15$ I think I already heard that it is possible to get it cheaper I never tried it, because I bought it right afterwards the release here in Germany.

For your last question: It depends on the mod that you want to use, for instance Cradle, MedPack2 and WAW use a different tech tree and therefore you will also find new units in these mods, more conservative is the ApolytonPack it just fixes and improves mainly CTP2. And finally there is my mod GoodMod it adds a lot of new trade goods to the game and improves the game more then the ApolytonPack does. In order to reduce the download size it is only avalaible for MedPack2 ApolytonPack and CityMod2. So if you got CTP2 for a nice price download the patch and one of the mods.

XarXo: Could you explain me why CTP2 is "crap". I could make a huge list of reasons why Civ3 is not as good as CTP2, I already mentioned one reason and actual it is only a minor one in comparision I could name. But actual this is another topic. If you call it "crap" then you have to give us reasons for that. If you can't then just be quiet. Thank you.

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Can you have 2 mods at a time or just one? And whats the best mod? AND CAN YOU EVEN BUY THIS GAME IN A STORE ANYMORE SINCE ITS SOOOO OLD?

Comment

I've seen it overhear(old blighty....er U.K.) in our main games retailers for £4.99($6?) it(and CTP1(£3.99)) seem to have just been re-released under a budget label, so look around your stores first to see if they've done the same. $15 is o.k but if you look a bit more i'm sure it could be cheaper.Bargin
                          Best Mod is down to the individual i guess - i like Craddle as it's got an extended ancient age. Best read the Mod right up(Craddle,MedMod,Apolyton) by Locutus(topped thread at the top of this forum), and take it from there.Good luck in your hunt for CTP2, it really is an underrated game by many, but with the mods it gets a whole new lease of life.

Comment

He didn't say it was crap. He said it was "a crap". I guess that means you can get good roses out of it. I dunno.

R_O, you can have as many mods as you like, though obviously you can only play one at a time, and you can't swap mods and try to reload a saved game from a different mod. ModSwapper (in the directory) lets you choose between them.

The mods are compared in another (topped) thread in this forum.

You should be able to get it in a shop still, but if not, you can get good rates on eBay even including postage.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                              I think he just meant what he said. He thinks CTP2 is crap, and if it helps i might get PTW(but don't own Civ3) when it comes out. Again if you can get them cheap then it's not money wasted - give them a chance, read the overview of the mods to try(CTP2 is best played with a Mod), and if you have problems with any of the mod setup there are people here to help you get it sorted.
                              Just download a peer-to-peer program, wait for November or search another thing.

But I've to say that CTP2 is a waste of time, I've played with mods and still a crap (but is only my opinion, look these fanatics ).
                              Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Working...
                              X