single unit combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single unit combat

Hello all CTP2'ers. I've been using Cradle Ultra-giga Giganto maps mod (I'm paraphrasing of course) and loving it. It's ten times better than Civ III and as Homer once said "It could be bigger than one hundred Superbowls!"

One question though, is there any way to turn off the "battle field" pop-up for single-unit combat? It's not that big a deal, but it slows things down when you are exploring with an expendable javelin cavalry and have to do some clicking just to watch him die under a rain of barbarians.

For Armies I love the battle field.

I only know that it is possible to disable the battle field entirely, but for a single unit battle, I don't know but I think this is not possible.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I second that. You can turn off the battlescreen altogether and you can turn it off when defenseless units are being attacked (settlers and stuff) but AFAIK you can't turn it off for single-unit battles only...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

That's wierd - in CTP1 it was tough to turn it on for such battles...

Comment

The real question is why would you want to? The game would degenerate into a civ3 style click, click, click, click, click....etc.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ahenobarb,

Glad you are enjoying Cradle. I do not know how to turn off the single-unit battles though - its either all or nothing.

Slightly off topic...
            Since you are using the Ultra-Gigantic setup in Cradle, have you had any problems with game crashes and saving your games? The reason why I'm asking is that there have been reports of such things in the Ultra-Gigantic setup (but not in any of the other setups). This is just to let you know that this problem does exist, and as yet, has not been resolved.
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
              ahenobarb,

Glad you are enjoying Cradle. I do not know how to turn off the single-unit battles though - its either all or nothing.

Slightly off topic...
              Since you are using the Ultra-Gigantic setup in Cradle, have you had any problems with game crashes and saving your games? The reason why I'm asking is that there have been reports of such things in the Ultra-Gigantic setup (but not in any of the other setups). This is just to let you know that this problem does exist, and as yet, has not been resolved.
              I guess I will just learn to live with the battle animations for non-army combat.

Hexagonian, no problems with crashes and I have saved after play and started again the next day with no trouble (There are about 7 save files I've loaded so far). I'll let you know if I run into trouble.

One question though, my cities are not growing past 12 and I cannot buold aqueducts because I built a WoW (I forget which one -- Temple of zeus) that gives you aqueducts in your cities. I haven't seen them there and I can't build them. Any ideas? I'm ranked #1, but the other guys have sixe 21 cities.

Comment

The city growth buildings in Cradle that increase the cap are different from the default game (spelled out in the main Cradle readme file)

The buildings are
                Apothecary
                Physician
                Bath House
                Drug Store
                Hospital

Aqueducts are the same as Granaries in that they merely increase the food produced.
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                  The city growth buildings in Cradle that increase the cap are different from the default game (spelled out in the main Cradle readme file)

The buildings are
                  Apothecary
                  Physician
                  Bath House
                  Drug Store
                  Hospital

Aqueducts are the same as Granaries in that they merely increase the food produced.
                  Well, that's my problem then. I've just started and apothecary building program in my civ and haven't seen the effects yet.

Comment

In userprofile.txt, there are two lines:
                    Code:
                    ShowZoomedCombat=Yes
                    ZoomedCombatAlways=Yes
                    They are not next to teach other in the file, but you can find them easily enough.
                    try setting the bottom of the two to:
                    Code:
                    ZoomedCombatAlways=No
                    This might (untried, untested) achieve the effect as in CtP1 of only showing battles with > 1 unit involved.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

In userprofile.txt, there are two lines:
                      Code:
                      ShowZoomedCombat=Yes
                      ZoomedCombatAlways=Yes
                      They are not next to teach other in the file, but you can find them easily enough.
                      try setting the bottom of the two to:
                      Code:
                      ZoomedCombatAlways=No
                      This might (untried, untested) achieve the effect as in CtP1 of only showing battles with > 1 unit involved.
                      Great tip, I'll try it and let you know if it works.

Comment

No, I'm fairly certain that doesn't work. I think that determines whether or not battles against Civilians get displayed or not. But I'm not 100% sure, so feel free to try...
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Well I wanted to try IW's suggestion, but when I opened my userprofile.txt, ZoomedCombatAlways was already set to 'No'. I guess this doesn't do it. No big deal, I'm getting used to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X