Newbie can't install Modswappper 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie can't install Modswappper 1.5

when I try to install it saids 'runtime error 53' , 'file not found'.

Anyone help?

What version of windows do you have?
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Regardless, check if the following files exist under the main CtP2 folder:

ctp2_data\english\Great_Library.txt,
      ctp2_data\default\Newsprite.txt,
      ctp2_data\default\Wondermovie.txt,
      ctp2_data\default\Victorymovie.txt,
      ctp2_data\default\gamefile.txt.

Comment

I have none of the files you mentioned. What should I do?

I am using Windows 98. Thanks.

Comment

Huh? Oh wait, they should be in the main CtP2 folder, not in modswapper or anything. So, by default, the Great_Library.txt file should be at the location C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\ctp2_data\english\Great_Library.txt. Same for the other files, except they should be in default rather than english...

Comment

It may sound strange, but I really couldn't find those files in the folders you mentioned (I believe I know what you are talking about). However, I don't have any problem running the program. I can play the normal game with patch 1.1 installed.

Am I screwed?

Comment

Locutus, the paths you mean are:

ctp2_data\english\gamedata\Great_Library.txt,
              ctp2_data\default\gamedata\Newsprite.txt,
              ctp2_data\default\gamedata\Wondermovie.txt,
              ctp2_data\default\gamedata\Victorymovie.txt,
              ctp2_data\default\gamedata\gamefile.txt.

Comment

Economist,
                I take it this is the first time you've tried to install modswapper? I had a bit of a mare with it the first time i tried it(can't remember exactly what), so i would suggest ,if your CTP2 game runs fine and the 1.1patch is ok, just try downloading the modswapper file again - read its readme carefully and then try to re-install it. This is basically what i did and second time i had no problem at all. Fingers crossed
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Jay,
                  Ooopsss Would anyone believe me if I said I copied those filepaths from a readme somewhere so it wasn't really my fault

Comment

Ok, I checked the new paths and I found the 5 files you asked for. They are all there. So what's my next step?

Comment

What CoT said, try downloading again. All needed files are there and your Windows version shouldn't be a problem, so most likely it's a problem with the file you downloaded. Download, extract to a temp folder, run the setup program.

In case re-downloading doesn't work: when exactly do you get this error? During install, while running it? When exactly: immediately after starting setup/modswapper, after pressing a specific button, while copying the files?

Comment

I redownload the modswapper, and reinstall it, still won't work.

To make your job easier, I first list the files in the modswap zip:

setup.exe
                        setup.lst
                        MODSWAP.ex_
                        setup1.ex_
                        st5unst.ex_
                        7 different .dl_ files
                        stdole2.tl_

No readme file there like COT said.

And then when I install, the problem comes when:
                        after I click the bottom that saids 'to install CTP2 modswapper 1.12 to specified destinated directory'
                        (notice the path specified is exactly where I installed the program so that should not be the problem)

a pop-up window then comes out that saids:
                        Visual basic 5.0 setup toolkit
                        ! runtime error '53'
                        File not found.

Hope that will help you found my problem. Thanks again.

Comment

Economist:

Quite simply, you need the Visual Basic 5 runtime library. I'm sorry but I have no idea where to find them on Micro$oft's site, but they can be downloaded there. Probably the easiest thing to do is search a place like filepile.com for the files.

Comment

Aha, you're missing VB files. I think the below version should fix the problem, it contains an extra VB starters kit. Let me know if this works. Where did you download the file from?

Attachment too big, try from here.

Comment

I tried both Dale's method and Locutus' method. Both couldn't work.

I installed the runtime files, and install both the original file I installed and Locutus' file. Both tries failed.

I guess I am REALLY screwed.

Comment

Working...
                              X