About CtP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About CtP2

Only time I ever played CtP2 was when I borrowed it a while back for about an hour or two, so I've got a few simple questions.

1) From a single player standpoint, how's the AI after using mods or whatever it is you people seem to cook up on a regular basis? How's it compare with civ2/SMAC/civ3/etc in diplomacy and overall decision making?

2) Is MAD in there?

3) What kind of gameplay improvement if any is there from civ2? Is there a big difference? (worth the $19.95 anyway )

well, I'm playing Craddle and the AI is doing its own thing - fighting wars,being diplomatic etc. It seems to do the job and i've recently had to start a game on medium difficulty(i tried impossible and...well it was!) just to get a bit further. The balance of the game is very good and i'm having a lot of fun - so that can't be bad.As to MAD, i haven't invented gunpowder yet!(it starts in 7000b.c) so i might have to wait a while . How does it compare to civ2 etc, well it is civ isn't it? In my opinion it has better graphics,better diplomacy(i never played SMAC),but at the same time its not the ultimate civ game(non of them are),but its pretty close and with the great modding guys there will always be newer and better versions.Really the best thing i can say is give it a go(for your $19 you get alot of game with all the free mods) - it is much improved over the origonal release.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

The modded AI really is quite good at waging wars, conducting deplomacy, expanding, and generally being a challenge to the other players. If I had to list some complants it would be that the AI still doesn't really kill off that many of the other AIs (they prefer to go after the humans) and it won't launch truly massive invasions of other contents all at one time.

That said the AI is still very competetive and, unlike Civ3, you can always choice to play against other humans if you feel you need more of a challenge. There are several features offered in CTP2 that aren't in the other civ games MAD is only one of them. PW, an indepth diplomacy and trade set up, unit stacking, an advanced combat system with combined arms, more of just about everything (civs, unit types, gov types, techs...etc), great hidden units (like slavers, abolitionists,, lawyers, televangilists... etc), and a truly easy to use interface.

Try to say the same about other Civ style games...
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

well, I'm playing Craddle and the AI is doing its own thing - fighting wars,being diplomatic etc. It seems to do the job and i've recently had to start a game on medium difficulty(i tried impossible and...well it was!) just to get a bit further. The balance of the game is very good and i'm having a lot of fun - so that can't be bad
        Do the mods alter the graphics at all? They look fine to me, just curious.

There are several features offered in CTP2 that aren't in the other civ games MAD is only one of them. PW, an indepth diplomacy and trade set up, unit stacking, an advanced combat system with combined arms, more of just about everything (civs, unit types, gov types, techs...etc), great hidden units (like slavers, abolitionists,, lawyers, televangilists... etc), and a truly easy to use interface.
        How does MAD work? Does the AI have the ability to use those features well (stacking, eco terrorism, nukes, etc)? In SMAC the computer almost never fired off an ICBM or used a supply crawler...probably too hard to program.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          Do the mods alter the graphics at all? They look fine to me, just curious.
          Some do and some don't. Using SLIC you can add new units, change existing units (including graphics and unit abilities), and add new unit types or delete existing unit types. In essance you can use SLIC to change ANYTHING and I do mean absolutely anything in the game. That's what makes CTP2 such a good plateform for modders.

How does MAD work? Does the AI have the ability to use those features well (stacking, eco terrorism, nukes, etc)? In SMAC the computer almost never fired off an ICBM or used a supply crawler...probably too hard to program.
          You use MAD by pretargeting an enemy city with each of your Nukes; thus if the enemy tries to nuke your cities or your allies cities then all of your nukes will automatically be launched against their predetermined targets. I almost never make more then a few nukes because the AI is diligent in using the MAD feature, however, humans can still be better then the AI.

The AI will divid it's nukes up against every none allied civ that is also a nuclear power. A good human player can better decid who is the most likely to attack his empire so he can mass all of his nukes against that one civ and over well the AI's MAD response. That said you will still lose several cities...

Comment

The AI will divid it's nukes up against every none allied civ that is also a nuclear power. A good human player can better decid who is the most likely to attack his empire so he can mass all of his nukes against that one civ and over well the AI's MAD response. That said you will still lose several cities...
            Do nukes erase an entire city on impact?

You use MAD by pretargeting an enemy city with each of your Nukes; thus if the enemy tries to nuke your cities or your allies cities then all of your nukes will automatically be launched against their predetermined targets. I almost never make more then a few nukes because the AI is diligent in using the MAD feature, however, humans can still be better then the AI.
            Is there an SDI defense improvement?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              Some do and some don't. Using SLIC you can add new units, change existing units (including graphics and unit abilities), and add new unit types or delete existing unit types. In essance you can use SLIC to change ANYTHING and I do mean absolutely anything in the game. That's what makes CTP2 such a good plateform for modders.
              None of the mods change the existing graphics. MedMod and Cradle add units, which means new pictures and sprites, but no changing existing stuff. (Cradle adds a couple of tile improvements too).

Btw, SLIC is not necessary to change units, etc. That can be done entirely through text files, making CtP2 very simple to start modding.
              SLIC is merely a way to add more advanced concepts and effects, such as the the militia effect in MM2, or the natural disasters in Cradle.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Do nukes erase an entire city on impact?
                2/3 of the population, and using Dale's Capture City Script, ~1/2 of the buildings.

Is there an SDI defense improvement?
                No. You can add one if you want.
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

How exactly would I go about doing that? (adding improvements) And what's the range of nukes?

Thanks for the link btw

Comment

One more thing: is there a scenario editor that allows for the placement of cities/units/etc? And a real world map with realistic civ start locations?

Comment

Well, since you don't have the game yet (I think), step-by-step instructions for adding a city improvement aren't much good to you but in large outlines it involves opening a text file (buildings.txt), copying an existing entry and changing it's name and properties. You'll also need to make some minor changes to two other text files (to set the graphics and in-game name and stuff), add a picture to the graphics folder (lots of premade stuff can be found in the database or you can make some yourself) and optionally add a Great Library (=Civilopedia, also a (huge) textfile) entry. An experienced modder can, presuming (s)he knows exactly what (s)he wants, add a new building/unit/advance/whatever in 2-3 minutes; a less experienced modder will need some more time of course but it's still not hard to do.

I think Nukes have a range of 20 in all mods as well as the original game, but this can of course easily be changed in a text file if you want.

One more thing: is there a scenario editor that allows for the placement of cities/units/etc?
                      Hey, just because Civ3 is a total screw-up in this respect, doesn't mean CtP2 is! There's a very powerful in-game scenario editor that offers some fairly advanced map making tools (I'm not much of mapmaker myself so I have no idea what the industry standard is but CtP2 probably meets or even exceeds the standard) and of course it also allows you to place/remove units/cities/goody huts/tile improvements/goods/etc from the map, set starting positions, add/remove advances/PW/gold from civs, add/remove wonders/buildings from cities, etc...

There are also 3 scenarios in the standard game (Alexander the Great, 7 Samurai, Nuclear Detente) and a 4th official Activision scenario (WWII) can be downloaded from Apolyton. A number of fan-made scenarios are also available from the database here at 'Poly and a couple more are in the making (but mods are far more popular than scenarios in this game). In addition to that there is a world map in the standard game but it's IMHO not terribly good, I think several (better) fan-made world maps are available from Apolyton (plus dozens of other maps and a really powerful fan-made map making utility).
                      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Umm.... I went to check there was a ProtectFromNukes flag in buildings.txt, which there is... So I wondered why...

It appears there is a SDI improvment, though it is called Anti-Ballistic-Missiles or something.

Comment

There is a SDI improvement. You can go to cheat mode and add it to your cities (at least I think... I'm not infront of the game right now).

Comment

You're right, Ben. This improvement is not mentioned in the building section of the reference chart or the strategy guide, but it does (briefly) get mentioned in the tech tree/advance section of both (and it actually exists in the game of course), very odd... Yet another (minor) screw-up by Activision, I suppose.
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Thanks for all the help

I guess the only question left is - with Cradle, etc, is the AI any good at overall decision making and using the various features and victory paths? Better than civ2/civ3?

Comment

Working...
                              X