No announcement yet.

Give me your honest opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of forgot about stacked combat. Who tell me that civ2s one againt one combat is better than the CTP2s army againt army combat is a lunatic.
    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
    Kill all and you are a God!"
    -Jean Rostand

Comment

wow! posts acumulate quickly when people defend a game that they follow fannaticaly, sorry if i dont answer all posts.

stacked combayt is good, but the ai sucks so bad it wont even attack with stacks, so that blows. EU'S combat is very realistic and stacked.

settlers vs pw is just old pw is easier but it is sooooo limited, in civ you can build outside your borders AND you actually have to defend the settlers, in EU there aren't even tile improvements if thats what you dont like.

civ may have obsolete graphics but you play the game not the graphics (plus they are soooo easy to mod) EU has nice graphics AND great gamplay.

your armys in ctp would be alot more interesting if they weren't samuri, catipult, infantryman, hoarse archers, and hoplites (what a motley crew!)

gee you dont like civ2 becouse you cant play it apparently, you rather have a game where the AI dosen't attack, dosent defend, and you don't have to use strategy. how very sad

im off to play a game that has sold more than 35,000 copys. (civ sold like 4 million )

welllllllllll, im just waiting for the classic, "if you mod CTP 2 to the point were none of the original files exist it becomes almost playable" reply (funny, sad but funny )
      "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

i read thrue the posts and have a few more answers

the rules are retarded becouse

1. horses cant go over mountains (gee, why dont they find a valley or just WALK up)
        2. 255 may be the limit on cities in civ2 but you cant build more than 70 or so without intense unhappy'nes in ctp
        3. you dont like settlers? well your gona HATE corprate branches, lawyers, televangelists, abolitionists etc...
        4. samuri spys, nuff said
        5. unhapiness far away from the capital, thats realistic (hawai-washington, moscow-far eastern russia)
        6. the AI wont accept maps for gold but it will accept gold for maps (same thing, just backwards)

someone (apparently on drugs j/k) said ctp can be modded moore than civ2, only the ai files, civ is much easier in every other department.

i always thought it was realistic selling crabs or the almighty glass, how exciting-NOT

i can find civ 2 and EU in stores i CANT find CTP2/1, that says enough right there.

NO one should buy this game, these people have tricked themselfs into beleiving its good, they are clearly insane (by the way, i played both wesses mod AND the appolyton mod and, in my oppinion, they suck ) they can continue thrue the valley of craptivison, we must walk the path of the true civ. (by the way CTP is just coppying civ1's success, and everyone knows it, ask in the civ 2 gd forums) your all just kidding yourselfs, if you want to pay for this, i have a rock i can sell you

Comment

by the way, most of the mean sounding things i said were jokes, so no need to become offended

Comment

Originally posted by splangy

stacked combayt is good, but the ai sucks so bad it wont even attack with stacks, so that blows. EU'S combat is very realistic and stacked.

gee you dont like civ2 becouse you cant play it apparently, you rather have a game where the AI dosen't attack, dosent defend, and you don't have to use strategy. how very sad
            When was the last time you play it. Try again with the new updates.
            No! better you would like to see the AI really attacking? Play Craddle. I want to see you saying that again.
            -Jean Rostand

Comment

by the way, most of the mean sounding things i said were jokes, so no need to become offended
              Offense not taken. we are just discussing differents points of view and tastes. We are defending the game we love and you did not like it.
              Once when i was still part of the ci3 community i heard a line from someone. CTP2, either you love it or hate it. I guess thats kind of true. Well, but it always worth a try since the low prices of it.
              -Jean Rostand

Comment

1. horses cant go over mountains (gee, why dont they find a valley or just WALK up)
                2. 255 may be the limit on cities in civ2 but you cant build more than 70 or so without intense unhappy'nes in ctp
                3. you dont like settlers? well your gona HATE corprate branches, lawyers, televangelists, abolitionists etc...
                5. unhapiness far away from the capital, thats realistic (hawai-washington, moscow-far eastern russia)
                6. the AI wont accept maps for gold but it will accept gold for maps (same thing, just backwards)
                1) Funny i always thought it was realistic. Since Valleys are land between mountains. And horses have difficults to walk in hardstone and and they are not adapted to walk on high slopes. Get this from someone who has farm. Unless you are practicing horse-back climbing

2) and 5) The idea behind this is that in history nobody ever kept a big empire so long. Civ3 is getting this thought, It is one of the features of Culture Points. And you are think in terms of today, at the past there were the need to be close to the administration/economic center(in CTP2 modern govs distance unhappiness is almost inexistent)

3) Settlers are a building unit, and those units you mentioned are a way of Warfare. Still is to attack the others civs.

4) Samurai Spies? You mean the cyber ninja. I thought ninjas were a kind of spy. arent they? :

6) Every strategy game has problem with AI, But in CTP2 we already solved most of it. Anyway, i never heard about that one.

i always thought it was realistic selling crabs or the almighty glass, how exciting-NOT
                What is the problem about selling crabs? It is one of the exportation product of my city Natal here in Brazil. And glass was a fine product in the past.
                -Jean Rostand

Comment

someone (apparently on drugs j/k) said ctp can be modded moore than civ2, only the ai files, civ is much easier in every other department.

i can find civ 2 and EU in stores i CANT find CTP2/1, that says enough right there.

NO one should buy this game, these people have tricked themselfs into beleiving its good, they are clearly insane (by the way, i played both wesses mod AND the appolyton mod and, in my oppinion, they suck ) they can continue thrue the valley of craptivison, we must walk the path of the true civ. (by the way CTP is just coppying civ1's success, and everyone knows it, ask in the civ 2 gd forums) your all just kidding yourselfs, if you want to pay for this, i have a rock i can sell you
                  1. Build a road...No problem there, and that seems to be more historically accurate.
                  2. I guess you are an ICSer, which in my opinion is a tactic that plagues ALL of the civ-style games - not only CTP2. Large empires should have difficulty maintaining happiness - especially the early ones.
                  3. Again a preference issue - I like those features. These can also be shut down easily through the files.
                  4. Preference again...
                  5. See point 2. Actually, as you get into the more advanced governments, the unhappiness factor is less due to capital distance. Plus, if you do not like the settings you can go into the files and adjust it.
                  6. Civ2 has its share of one-dimesional diplomatic problems.

As for modification, I cannot say one way or another which is easier to modify. What I do know is that I had no experience in modifying files before I started with CTP2 - but I found the modification process to be very easy.

And as for trade goods, civ 2/TOT has its share of lame ones too. (C'mon pheasants, or whatever that bird was in TOT...)

To compare CTP2 with EU is comparing apples and oranges - they are different games in terms of style.

I do admit to the shortcomings in CTP2 as it was released - or I wouldn't have modded it in the first place. Nevertheless, I am happy with what I have done and am convicted that my Mod makes the game a real challenge. (and it looks like you haven't tried it, judging from your post)

Personally I enjoy it, and if you do not care for it, thats your preference. But to come in and call us a bunch of idiots shows that you are rather petty as a person (even if you say you are joking) .

Its only a game, after all...

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - the quality of players have far outstripped the gamemakers ability to keep up in the Civ-style series. You can safely bet that when CIV3 is released, the better players will be complaining about how easy it is to beat...
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                  ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

If you're short on money: DO NOT buy CTP2

Why give the money to them who doesn't deserve the money!

The people who made the game (don't remember the company name) made a crappy system, where the interface is unuseable, and they put in the PW (Oh, that sux bigtime). The AI sux...to be hornest, most things in the game sux...To make the game anjoyable you need to download the mods! This means it's the mod makers who deserves the money for the game, not the gamemakers

But on how good the mods are I can't tell you, since I don't want to pay for the game from a store...if I ever is going to buy the game I will buy it from some other one who is tired of the game...I just haven't found that person yet...I don't know anyone around where I live who actually has bought the game
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

Why give the money to them who doesn't deserve the money!

The people who made the game (don't remember the company name) made a crappy system, where the interface is unuseable, and they put in the PW (Oh, that sux bigtime). The AI sux...to be hornest, most things in the game sux...To make the game anjoyable you need to download the mods! This means it's the mod makers who deserves the money for the game, not the gamemakers

ADG I agree with you. I dont think Activision deserves any money. My copy is also pirated. Although i had no problem installing the mods. I think i was going to be as pissed of as you if i didnt had play moded.

Originally posted by ADG
                      But on how good the mods are I can't tell you, since I don't want to pay for the game from a store...if I ever is going to buy the game I will buy it from some other one who is tired of the game...I just haven't found that person yet...I don't know anyone around where I live who actually has bought the game
                      But is there where the magic is. The frog becomig the Prince (should i say the king of civ games). Sorry about the your copy. try to set up the mods again. It Worked with me, maybe was just something wrong you did. Are you sure you got the
                      DeBugSlic = NO in the user Profile?

Either way try the Craddle when it did not use modswaper (ask to it to Hexagonia). I think it is the one with less chance to have problem.
                      -Jean Rostand

Comment

This is a pretty humorous read, all said. It reminds me of the time I spent with the Red Baron community on Delphi. Same thing - game released and dumped. Same result - different groups got together, developed a common mod swapper, and started cracking the code. End result - a lot of comradery, a lot of interesting knowledge (I learned to use a hex editor, and made a couple of breakthroughts and I was proud of), and now I've got a game I still enjoy playing.

And we had the same stupid discussions. In ours, it was the WW2 or Jet jockies complaining about why they didn't like WW1 dogfighting. How stupid is that whole discussion, when you think about it. You like something becuase you like it. And someone comes along and argues why you shouldn't like it.

My pop is a big TOT fan. He plays it nonstop in retirement, and is pretty good at it at this point (goes beyond where I ever went). I bought him CTP2 for Christmas when it first came out and boy, was that a big flop. But now, when he snowbirds back down in the fall, I'll get him to reinstall the game and put in the mods - I think he might actually like it now. I sure do.

This all reminds me of a very-un-PC statement I saw on a base a few nights ago. "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olymics. You might win, but you are still a ******."
                        Bluevoss-

Comment

No offense taken splangy

I agree with you that EU is a great game. I've enjoyed many hours playing EU. However it is limited to about 350+ years of play. Civ, Civ2, CTP1, and CTP2 span many thousands of years. I prefer playing in the modern era however there is enjoyment watching your empire grow from the ancient age to the future.

As far as the AI goes, the base game is a little weak. I have downloaded all the mods including cradle but haven't installed them yet. I don't want to spoil a saved game I'm playing now but once I have modded I can't wait to see what the AI can do!

Bottom line........Keep playing everything to pass the time until Civ3 comes out.
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

damn! its hard to keep up with you guys!

these are the reasons im so against CTP

1 activision released a ****y game, if you can pirate it than do so!
                            2 in my beleif, its a ***** to get one of the mods in, but thats just me
                            3 unmoded, the units are stupid, televangelist-abolisionist-slaver

IF you can pirate it or get it real cheap, then its worth it, buy civ2 as well, infact buy EU as well, altogether they dont cost more than 50$

however its still my beleif that you should wait for civ3 OR EU 2.

by the way, horses may have trouble climing mountains but troops need supplies wich come from pack animals like donkey and horses, so animals already do climb mountains

Comment

by the way, i dont want to sound like n a-hole, but can someone tell me EXACTLY what med mod changes, ive got apolyton but its still pretty easy.
                              im my thread i said that i had played it and thouhgt it sucked, but i made that at 3am so i could have made a mistake.

Comment

double post

Comment

Working...
                                X