Update on disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on disk?

...is there any possible way to get the patch onto several disks? WinZip refuses to zip the executable (once extracted).. so I'm stuck. *sigh*

Fred

I think WinZip has the ability to compress to multiple "volumes" (meaning disks to you and me). I think it will ask for the size per volume, and then you select 1.44MB

------------------
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Comment

The registered version of WinZip allows you to "span" disks. I don't believe that feature is in the shareware version of the software.

And while RAR may be a better compression format (not by much btw), there is something to be said for cross platform universally accepted standards.

Pyaray

Comment

I'm more of a winace fan since it is an easy application to use, but must agree that winzip is the standard these days buy IMO winace is more user friendly (registered or not).

Comment

Forget WinZip, get a copy of

WinRar, www.rarsoft.com , best

or

WinAce, www.winace.com
          Don,
          CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Actually, I find the easiest way is to use punch-cards. Make ya punch-cards (takes a few hours), put them in a box all neatly in order, carry them home, trip and spill the lot, spend another five hours sorting them all out, putting into the box again, loading them into the punch-card machine, spending the next few hours unjamming the machine every 15 cards, then trying the file and realising that card number 5346 was in the wrong spot and have to start ALL over again.

Anyone remember doing assignments at uni like this for IT courses?

------------------
            Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."

Comment

Whats a punch card???

Just kidding, I just turned 23 yesterday so the realization that I'll be eating those words soon is bearing upon me.

Adam

------------------
              I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure
              I use to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Comment

Oh yeah, remember it well. My first Assembler class in the mid 70's. The computer lab was a big room with about 25 keypunch machines. Didn't have a problem with Assembler but just about changed majors so I didn't have to keep dealing with those stupid keypunch machines.

Can't tell you how many conversations we had about how nice it would be when technology lets us key straight into the mainframe terminal.

And then there was the far-out conversations about how nice it would be to have a self-contained "Personal Computer" if you will, that would let us do all this somewhere comfortable like our homes.
                Don,
                CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

I remember when the first BBS's came out in Aussie in the 80's and I used to get really annoyed because I'd wanna play pong against a mate two suburbs over but he couldn't dial the BBS I was on locally. We used to talk about "city-wide BBS networks" so that someone in the east of Melbourne could play pong against someone in the west of Melbourne and not have to pay STD rates.

Those were the days. Where it took 3 hours to download 360KB!

------------------
                  Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 02-12-2001 02:36 PM
                    Oh yeah, remember it well. My first Assembler class in the mid 70's. The computer lab was a big room with about 25 keypunch machines. Didn't have a problem with Assembler but just about changed majors so I didn't have to keep dealing with those stupid keypunch machines.

Ah yes, the bad old days. I started on Holerith cards as well, but luckily I didn't have to actually punch them. The machine I used was optical, so I could use a #2 pencil to fill in the bubbles rather than punch them out. The largest program I wrote was only 5 cards, and then I got a personal computer with a keyboard. Of course that keyboard was caps only, and it didn't have a floppy drive, I had to use casette tape..... Wow, I really like my hard drive.

Pyaray

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by skorpion59 on 02-12-2001 02:36 PM

Ah yes, the bad old days. I started on Holerith cards as well, but luckily I didn't have to actually punch them. The machine I used was optical, so I could use a #2 pencil to fill in the bubbles rather than punch them out. The largest program I wrote was only 5 cards, and then I got a personal computer with a keyboard. Of course that keyboard was caps only, and it didn't have a floppy drive, I had to use casette tape..... Wow, I really like my hard drive.

How this relates to CTP2 I have no idea, but the memories are fond.

Pyaray

Comment

Thanks everyone... but WinZip doesn't work. I've tried it.. it's because of the nature of the file. It simply doesn't allow me to unzip and rezip. It says something like it's not a winzip format or any other file type winzip can handle...

Fred

Comment

Okay, I've seen enough sadness today. I thought that I'd be nice and packaged the update 1.11 to ace format with size of 1.44 Mg per file. I'll post it on my site for you to download along with the Winace. Hopefully this makes your day.
                          http://utilites4ctp2.homestead.com/

You need to unzip the ddl files and then unace the file set and you'll have the update v1.11. I did it in a 2 step process to decrease the likelihood that you'd loose info for the ace files.
                          [This message has been edited by OmniGod (edited February 13, 2001).]

Comment

/me tars and gzips the memories in this thread and moves 'em to the NULL device

------------------

Comment

Hey, OmniGod! You're a genius and extremely kind! This made my day! :-)

Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X