Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Therapy

Hi
    I have been a Civ player for a long time but a lurker on this board. I bought and liked CTP1. To me it brought a fresh perspective to the game, espescially the corporate and specialty units later in the game. I just read the new Strategy Therapy by Bruce Geryk, http://gamepen.ugo.com/gamepen/features.asp?itemid=68, he makes some salient points. I don't agree about his overall opinion on the CTP series but he is bang on with the collective amnesia that seems to be happening with the release of CTP2. Why are so many that have stated that they abhorred CTP1 suddenly in love with CTP2. I really do not understand. To me they are very similar. Almost like CTP is an Enhancement pack or patch to CTP1. Can those that hated CTP1 enlighten me on why they found CTP2 so spectacular. Thanks

Cheers

yeah.... great stuff!
    quote:

Tim Smith was impressed by a revolutionary new design feature he had just found.

One of the main differences with CTPII is that there is no longer the chore/opportunity to set whch tiles your workers are working on. As the city grows it simply adds more tiles to its radius/influence and apparently uses all those tiles. While this takes some getting used to it has the potential to stream line game play.

That's absolutely true ... about "one of the main differences" between Call to Power 2 and Civilization 2. This design element previously appeared in the game formerly known as Civilization: Call to Power.

note: in ctp1 you COULD set where your workers worked. therefore, this a NEW system...

it was the PW system that was new in ctp1...

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited November 27, 2000).]

Comment

and a bit bellow
      quote:

I really like the new combat system. Some might complain, but it does make more strategy to the game. You get armies of multiple units roving around rather than individual ones. With this you also get to have units with special abilities, like flanking, which really helps out a lot.

The only thing I'm going to "complain" about is - you guessed it - this is yet another feature from Call to Power Number One. In fact, it was one of the main "features" under discussion prior to the first game's release, if you don't count that guy who went apoplectic about the Lawyer unit. I don't expect every newsgroup poster to be some kind of computer game historian from LIT, but Jesus H., before you know it people will be posting how Red Alert 2 has this great new game system where instead of the players taking turns, you play in real time.
      whether or not flanking units were discussed for ctp1, it is a NEW feature in CTP2. And combat is quite different now, just see the battle results

Comment

Working...
      X