Some thoughts on the UI / CTP 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts on the UI / CTP 2

Ive been playing this game for a few days now and I didnt play CTP 1 [besides for a couple games and returning it] and i've been playing civ2 for several years and I keep reading about how difficult the ai is. I've suprisingly enjoyed it a bit [its not civ3 but hey civ2 is pretty old and alpha centauri is well, very boring]. And there are some innovations that you grow to like [like not guiding caravans]

Yet as I play, everygame is pretty much over after I conquer one other civ [i usually finish conquering the 1st civ by the time i get cannons, i start when i get catapults]. I found that if you can survive the first 50-100 turns then the game is pretty much yours. And then I can usually force other civs to join an alliance[through threat of declaring war]. And the game gets pretty pointless and very tedious after that.

And i found the games to be more difficult with continents as the computer is even more unable to launch a comprehensive invasion from the sea. I found the game to be much easier with the additional # of turns [though I do like the slower pace of tech]

Any suggestions to make the later modern era more relevant[like fighters, bombers, etc]. And especially the future ages.

Oh yeah theres a bug[yeah its an unsupported feature], you cant get a diplomatic victory if you adjust the max # of civs.

Well I'm really waiting for Civ III.

Try a higher difficulty level
    Dont tell me you already won at impossible!

Besides if you didnt know the AI in Civ2 cheats a LOT!!! Thats why it is good. Did you never wonder why they know exactly where all your ships are and why they can reach you with their cruise missles long before you can reach them?
    You cant even come close (with ships) to an enemy nation in civ2 when they have cruise missles. Or at least just with Aegis Cruisers.
    I remeber a thread in the Civ2 forum where there are listed all the cheats the civ "AI" does. UI would be more appropiate (unfair intelligence), but well UI is already taken
    Dont get me wrong I dont mind when the AI cheats, as long as the game is not an easy win I am all for it. BUT it is not correct to speak of a good AI then! If it doesnt cheat it would be worthless! So there is not much intelligence.

ata

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Atahualpa on 11-23-2000 08:17 AM
      Try a higher difficulty level
      Dont tell me you already won at impossible!

Besides if you didnt know the AI in Civ2 cheats a LOT!!! Thats why it is good. Did you never wonder why they know exactly where all your ships are and why they can reach you with their cruise missles long before you can reach them?
      You cant even come close (with ships) to an enemy nation in civ2 when they have cruise missles. Or at least just with Aegis Cruisers.
      I remeber a thread in the Civ2 forum where there are listed all the cheats the civ "AI" does. UI would be more appropiate (unfair intelligence), but well UI is already taken
      Dont get me wrong I dont mind when the AI cheats, as long as the game is not an easy win I am all for it. BUT it is not correct to speak of a good AI then! If it doesnt cheat it would be worthless! So there is not much intelligence.

ata

I didnt mean to imply that the AI in civ 2 is significantly better. Yeah Im playing my 2nd game on impossible and the first i beat pretty easily [average map, 8 comps, 2nd highest barbarians]. This new game that I'm playing is a bit harder. [gigantic, continents, 24 comps, max barb [yeah i got a pent iii 933, 256mb, etc] but its 200 a.d. and im 2nd highest on the ranking chart, once again by the time gunpowder comes around i'll be done conquering my 3rd&4th civ]. I found that archers come in pretty handy very early in the game [20 ranged attack]]

Comment

I would really like to purchase this game but I am still waiting for more reviews. I'm especially curious to see what DarthVeda has to say.

Joey, are you CERTAIN that you were playing "impossible"? I know that's a silly question, but to beat the hardest level on your first game is really pathetic (good for you, but bad for consumers).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chronus on 11-23-2000 09:32 PM
          I would really like to purchase this game but I am still waiting for more reviews. I'm especially curious to see what DarthVeda has to say.

Joey, are you CERTAIN that you were playing "impossible"? I know that's a silly question, but to beat the hardest level on your first game is really pathetic (good for you, but bad for consumers).

Oh no I didnt beat on the impossible on my first game. My first game I actually lost on easy i think in like turn 40 or so. I had one city built in a forest [koreans on world map] and a barbarian took it. But after that I played easy[beat it by the turn of the first century], then hard, then very hard, then impossible, and now im on my 2nd impossible game. Its like 1400 a.d. [i'm like a little bit behind the tech leaders but i have 4 civs's former territory and on the rankings graph im about twice as high as the next civ].

One thing that hasnt changed is the computer is still unable to launch a massive invasion. And i have never seen a computer sign a treaty [any treaty] with another computer.

Comment

Working...
          X