farms yet not close to water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farms yet not close to water?

Just wondering: I noticed on GameSpy's 5 new screens (the one with Romans) that basic farms were placed 2 tiles away from water. Traditionally I thought you had to place'em on or next to water first, before expanding into 'dryer' territory?

Namaste
    Johnny

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!" Confucius.

It looks to me as if the city (Pompeii) is on the bend of the river, so I think that makes it ok to put the farm where it is.
    Beware the stare of the hamster!

Comment

Hi John,

In CTP, unlike Civ2, you can put a farm diagonal of a water source too, not just to the left, right, up, or down. In the screen shot you reference, the farm is diagonal of the river bend Pompeii is on.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Siberian Hamster on 10-20-2000 11:51 AM
        It looks to me as if the city (Pompeii) is on the bend of the river, so I think that makes it ok to put the farm where it is.

Thanks for reply - but it still looks too far off, but you could be right. Perhaps some more opinions? Important point really. What I also don't understand is why the 'Master' that's designed that screen would not place the farm right on the river to take advantage of increased production, which is so incredibly crucial at the beginning stages?

Comment

Perhaps you should be able to build farms when they are not adjacebt to water. You could be able to get water from a spring or some sort of well.
          Perhaps it should cost more to build?

------------------
          ...And if the British Commonwealth and its people live for a thousand years, man will still say "this was their finest hour".

Comment

hello,

Building farms a few tiles from a source of surface water should be possible, espescially if this is grassland and so on. As a Dutch student in civil engineering I must reject this policy of building farms in civ games!

Groundwater would make an excellent source of water!
            Perhabs it should only be possible to build farms away from sources of surface water, if electricity, or combustion (those kinds of inventions) has been invented, so it is possible to pump up the ground water.

Bye,

Bartemans
            http://home.hccnet.nl/stolte.1
            Bartemans was here
            home.hccnet.nl/stolte.1

Comment

How about an improvement in a city such as rain water holders or a tile improvement such as a well allowing you to build farms nearby.

Comment

Madwoodster,

AGREE!!! However, not before some environmental inventions come up. A good invention would be conservation (or the CTPII equivalent).

Bye,

Bartemans
                Bartemans was here
                home.hccnet.nl/stolte.1

Comment

Wouldn't it be simplest to restrict basic farms to near river/coastal squares, and allow advanced farms to be placed on any grassland square, as well as river/coastals?
                  Chris Horscroft

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Horscroft on 10-23-2000 06:17 PM
                    Wouldn't it be simplest to restrict basic farms to near river/coastal squares, and allow advanced farms to be placed on any grassland square, as well as river/coastals?

thanks to all for replying. I probably like the 'well' or 'rainwater' tile improvement best as it appears to make the most sense. In addition I kind of like the idea of searching out and fighting for 'good land'. Makes the game more fun.

Johnny

Comment

Hello,

I do not really like the idea of fighting for good land, although it's more real and it could be more fun.

I think the new city growth system, where the terrain grows with the city, is good enough for this. Fast growth means more territory.

Bye,

Bye,

Bartemans

Bartemans was here
                      home.hccnet.nl/stolte.1

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bartemans on 10-23-2000 03:30 PM
                        Madwoodster,

AGREE!!! However, not before some environmental inventions come up. A good invention would be conservation (or the CTPII equivalent).

Bye,

Bartemans

Rain water collections have been round for a few thousand years now. As have wells so I think conservation is a bit too far down the technology tree.

Comment

Why not have irrgation as a tech. When discover, you could build farms wherever you wanted them. If not a tect., then it could be a improvement in each city. The Central Valley of California has canel everwhere to irrigate the land. We do know that even the early Egyption use irrigation to irrigate land some distance from the Nile. Activision could add this even at this late date. Mark or Dan if you are reading this, how about sending it over to them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited October 25, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                          X