Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These screenshots are not impressing me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These screenshots are not impressing me.

I'm looking at these shots and about all I can see is a vague difference between ctp and ctp2

So I got CtP and hated it, with a game that looks almost identical, why should I get it and expect to like it? (That's an acutal question... please attempt to answer it)

I didnt know that appearance was the most important factor in civ games....

Comment

I'm looking for something tangible to go on since I can't really trust word of mouth anymore around here. Call to Power was hyped at Apolyton and turned out to be godawful.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 07-23-2000 02:09 PM
        ...why should I get it and expect to like it?

Excuse me, but who says you should get CtP2? Even more - who in his right mind and familiar with your postings on this forum says that you should expect to like it?
        ...anything else would be unCivilized...

Comment

Its a silly question, since its not likely DarthVeda hated the game because of the way it looked. If there was one thing that didn't require fixing it was the graphics.

I don't think anyone should judge a computer game from screenshots (unless thay are really awful looking). Always wait for reviews by people who have actually played the game.

Comment

DarthVeda: I beleive that if you didn't like the gameplay of CTP then you will probally not like gameplay of CTP2. I think that CTP has definately had the best graphics I have ever seen for a Civ. SMAC had ugly graphics in comparinson to CTP.

Comment

Well the graphics in CtP were ahead of their time, the gameplay was way behind it's time.

I'd rather play Colonization or Civ1 over CtP, that's how bad the gameplay was, or at least what it couldn't measure up to.

What really bugs me about these screenshots is that aside from a new menu interface, the graphics look identical to the first Call to Power. I seriously doubt that CtP 1 graphics were the Apex of all graphics.
              [This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited July 25, 2000).]

Comment

DarthVeda: Judging CTP (1 or 2) based on its screenshots is like picking a girlfriend (or boyfriend) based on how she/he looks. In the end while good graphics are nice, it is the substance (playability) that counts.
                The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

DV:
                  quote:

I'd rather play Colonization or Civ1 over CtP, that's how bad the gameplay was, or at least what it couldn't measure up to.

Then perhaps what you ought to do is continue playing those games and not tax your blood pressure over a game that you do not wish to play....

meriadoc:
                  Excellent point and analogy.

Existence is Futile.

Comment

Darth,
                    Have you read what's been done to nukes? MAD is now possible and nukes will have been changed, tho we're not sure exactly how. That was based on feedback from this forum. Numerous other changes have been made, again based on feedback from this and the CTP2 Suggestions forum.

If you are expecting the same Civ game you know and love, forget it, this is CTP and it's different. I personally love the unconventional warfare units and the way trade has been abstracted, just to name 2 of the improvements. The development team from Activision is listening to what we say in here. That means that the players are helping to design this game!!!!

You know how I feel about Activision doing us all wrong with CTP so I won't re-iterate that here, but I've got some hope for CTP2. I will of course try it before I buy, and I recommend that you do the same.

Yes, screenshots can be little more than eye candy. On the other hand some information has been gleaned from them. One of the things we've seen in screen shots are many more diplomatic options. Others are national borders and a city "radius" that grows as your city does. What are your comments on those?
                    Respectfully,

Big Dave
                    Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Nordicus: Thank you.

------------------
                      The Electronic Hobbit
                      The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

I just don't want nonsensical units (ie unit with a TV head).

Comment

darth, it has become apparent that there is nothing that will change your views for ctp1, ctp2 or ctp3
                          so, do your and us a favor: leave this pathetic group of people(us) who happen to love/ like/ have hopes for ctp2 in our peace

btw, I fail to see how ctp was "hyped" on apolyton. we(apolyton) posted our impressions and our thoughts as they were. we posted in the news about the good and the bad reviews. people posted on the forums all kinds of opinions, etc etc etc.....

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 07-27-2000 04:23 PM
                            I just don't want nonsensical units (ie unit with a TV head).

Then how would you make a distinctive unit that's supposed to be a Televangelist?

One minutes you're saying that graphics don't make the game (the implied statement here is they can't break it, either) and the next you're griping about an icon.

Do you care?
                            You haven't even responded to one of the previous comments I made.

Is there a possibility you'll even play CTP2 once? Or are you just (as I once rudely suggested in another thread) another AH?

------------------
                            Big Dave

A bad pun is its own reword.
                            Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

I'll play CTP2 If somebody sends me a free copy. (Or if they ask me to playtest or something)

Comment

Working...
                              X