No announcement yet.

revolting cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To solve a problem one must sometimes take a long way round.

Martin, I have included your MG_BetterAI.slc into my SAP2 configuration, do you have a corrected file available?

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
      Another question Dave does the latest version of Cradle contain a version of my BetterAi.slc. The version I have installed on my computer doesn't, but it wouldn't be such a good idea to use the current public version, as I discovered some serious bugs in it.
      - Cradle 1.35 has v0.93 BetterAI (file dated 09/13/02) I do remember you sending me a bunch of SLIC files that you had updated before I posted 1.35 - these updated files made it into 1.35.

- Cradle 1.34 has an earlier version of BetterAI (file dated 04/26/02)

Actually, I had a slight itch to play a Cradle game
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

The version I have included in my SAP2 is the v.0.94
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

There two problems and it looks like they are included in your files. On the one hand is the AddUnitToArmy slic event, if I call it within slic code it might produce ghost units, as I described earlier in this forum. You have units but they don't have a health bar and if you try to select them the game crashes. It looks like they aren't contained in an army. Something that could happen if something go wrong with the AddUnitToArmy.

The symptons during a game are repetive crashes on the same turn at the same time. If you load the last savegame and go to the civ with this ghost unit and click on the military manager the game crashes. Then you can check in which city or whereever this unit is, but you should be very careful by selecting the units around it otherwise you select it and the game crashs.

On the other hand there is a problem with the regrouping armies: When I sort them I ungroup them first, that creates new armies you can check this when you use the cheat editor and take a look on the AI army names they are getting higher and higher. On the first hand this is not a problem but the higher the army numbers the slower is the game. It looks like this consumes a lot of memory. Fortunatly it seems that you don't need to ungroup them them first.

So here is my question did you notice such problems I described above?

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

There two problems and it looks like they are included in your files. On the one hand is the AddUnitToArmy slic event, if I call it within slic code it might produce ghost units, as I described earlier in this forum. You have units but they don't have a health bar and if you try to select them the game crashes. It looks like they aren't contained in an army. Something that could happen if something go wrong with the AddUnitToArmy.

The symptons during a game are repetive crashes on the same turn at the same time. If you load the last savegame and go to the civ with this ghost unit and click on the military manager the game crashes. Then you can check in which city or whereever this unit is, but you should be very careful by selecting the units around it otherwise you select it and the game crashs.
            This sounds exactly like reported problems for Cradle (v1.34-35). Thanks for the verification on a vexing problem.
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

So here is my question did you notice such problems I described above?

-Martin
              To be honest I have not yet used it as I have not played CtP2 since a few months. I have tweaked some files here and then, I have added several files taken from your GoodMod and I am wondering if the Science costs must not be lowered again to fit my own tastes. But I have not yet played with the BetterAI.slc...

If that can help you I can try to start a game next week and report any problem though I won't have the time to finish the game quickly.

Comment

Tamerlin, I think you can finish a game at least you can play or better let play it long enough. All you have to do is to start a new game, for the Barbarian level you select ruins only. Once you are in the game use the cheat editor and switch to the Barbarians. Then open the chat window and enter: /rnd x

x refers here to a number of turns that you which to run the game without human interfer. Well if you press esc you get the controll back afterwards you closed the options menue.

It is also a good idea to disable the battle screen. the best possibilty to see the effects of the BetterAi.slc is on a map with a lot of land. Also a smaller map with a lot of AIs is good for testing purposes.

-Martin

Comment

Tamerlin, I think you can finish a game at least you can play or better let play it long enough.
                  Your method is very efficient when you want to test something you have designed and see it if runs properly.

As far as I am concerned I would like to test your files in order to check if they suit my tastes, I thus have to play a full game and evaluate their impact on the game.

Comment

At the time I was foolish enough to say I would test the MG_BetterAI.slc this week I forgot that the Rugby World Cup would start this week-end. I am sorry Martin but I am afraid I won't play with my computer for a while...

Comment

No problem Tamerlin, the lastest version of the MG_BetterAI.slc is not finished anyway. However the new version does require a MG_Functions.slc with functions like MG_GetContinentID. Well actual so far it is only used once in the code, but I hope I find some good more places for it. Or another function is this one MG_GetTransportedUnitsAtLocation. Actual there should the word number somewhere in the name of that function. So far I have not found a place for this function.

-Martin

Comment

Is there a fix for the "ghost" units? If it is possible to fix it by replacing a few lines I can do it in my file if you send me the corrected lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                          Is there a fix for the "ghost" units? If it is possible to fix it by replacing a few lines I can do it in my file if you send me the corrected lines?
                          Well I am afraid that I have some difficuilties to find the "corrected lines". Especilly if I consider that I just disabled the problemetic code and replaced it by new code. The result is now a MG_Fuctions.slc with 1420 lines including comments and the file isn't finished, yet. And maybe 200 to 300 new lines for the MG_BetterAI.slc. But I would like to release it when it is finished or I ran out of time.

Well to fix your version:

Search for lines like:

Event:UngroupOrder(MGArmy);

And comment them out or delete them.

And then find these lines:

Event:AddUnitToArmy(MGUnit, MGArmy2, j);

The AddUnitToArmy event has to be replaced by the GroupUnitOrder event. Of course you have to make shure that you use the right variable names:

Event:GroupUnitOrder(MGArmy, MGUnit);

-Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin...

Comment

Working...
                            X