MP Max players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP Max players

Was playing on my LAN and could only get 4 players to play. Whats up with that? Is that the limit 4 MP players. I could of course add AI's. Is the limit for 4 MP?

Thanks

I did a search but could not locate it............

OK guys I have read that the program RECOMMENDS 4 players max for MP gaming but is this written in stone (code) . I have a hard time believing that such a quality product as this can only have 4 players at a time. Anyway to edit this?
    I really don't want to leave our 5th and 6th player in the cold.

PLEASE anyone help?

Comment

Well the recommendation is a good one, ive played a game with 5 players in and the resynchs were heavy from about 50 turns onwards. You could try 6 players but

An idea to fit the other players in your game why not have 2 players on one civ?
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Ditto what Maq said; i have only had four human players in a game before, set up a dummy one with 5 and got loads more resynch's than usual - so stick with four to be safe or play 2 lots and have a mini tournament.
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

OK thanks guys but how do I try 5 machines.......Had no probs with 4 and all are very fast machines. The problem I'm having is when the 5th joins it says the game is full. Am I missing something.

Oh and how can you have 2 players on one civ?
          -just select the same nation?

Comment

Its been awhile but if you select AI civs as well as human players i think the max total(human+Ai's) number is 7(6?), anyway it's not the total of 8civs you can choose in single player.

I was using Pc's at work, all on a standard network(same specs each machine) and i just set up the game as usual. A pc to host it and the other human players joined through the TCP/IP option.

As multiplayer is fairly sensitive(unstable ) i wouldn't be surprised if your network setup included different spec pc's(network cards etc) it might cause a few strange happenings.
            If like me your machines are all the same, then maybe try using a different pc to host, it can be that weird sometimes!

Oh yeah you could have two players sharing one civ.......just on the same machine only and do a kind of turn/hotseat thing. But you cant play one civ from two different pc's if that is what you were hopeing to do.

[hmmm.....If things are just not working i'll be able to setup again on my network at work and run it through some tests. The downside of this is i wont be able to do it until September! ]
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Its been awhile but if you select AI civs as well as human players i think the max total(human+Ai's) number is 7(6?), anyway it's not the total of 8civs you can choose in single player.
              The total players human mixed with AI, is 8, and there MAYbe a maximum of 4 human players in any game, although im sure ive played with 5 before.

The readme does recommend 4 humans max and that suggests there isnt a hardcoded human limit to the overall 8 limit. Best way to find out remove all AI's, thats if you had any before.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Ah yes i should have said if you are playing MP in Craddle(i think!) then the limit is 6 or 7. One is reserved for a barbarian AI civ, and does some weird stuff(maybe crash to desktop) if you don't give it some space from startup(if it even lets you launch........like i said its been a while ).

Comment

Well ok thanks gents. I do alot of beta testing and have a 8 machine LAN. Since I do mostly MP LAN testing I know they work perfectly. I am using all XP and most machines are exactly same. I have hosted with all the machines separtely, however max MP LAN seems to be 4 machines no matter what. With or without AI's. Strange but no where does it say this, just recommmends it. Oh well. Was hoping for a break from Hearts of Iron. I guess I shall get back on working on the Victoria Beta MP testing
                  Too Bad I always liked Ctp2. However I can't have 2+ people sitting on the side lines. Thanks though for all your help!

Comment

I'm on a win98 Lan.
                    XP has issues with CTP2, could be another one?

Comment

Anyone ever run it on a LAN with more than 4 players?

Comment

Re: MP Max players

Originally posted by ETF
                        Was playing on my LAN and could only get 4 players to play. Whats up with that? Is that the limit 4 MP players. I could of course add AI's. Is the limit for 4 MP?

Thanks

I did a search but could not locate it............
                        You can only start the game with 4 players but up to four more players can join you after the game is launched. Ussually, the person with the first turn waits until all 8 players have joined the game before he finishes his turn.

I've only played with up to 6 players and the resynchs aren't to bad if everyone has a broadband connection and are geographically close to one another (best if they're on the same continent).
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

oh ok I get it. Thanks Oerdin I appreciate it. So I can play with >4 but the 5th and 6th player would have to join dynamically once the game is started. Excellent!

Comment

You got it.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                            X