Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNOFFICIAL: What Shall We Research after Ballistics

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
    (subtitled: don't you just hate it when your PC crashes and you lose your 800 word post...)

What Shall We Research? Poll I

The time has come for the first time in our history to suggest that our "wise men" could better spend their time actually thinking wisely about something, rather than sitting in a circle, idly hitting rocks against bigger rocks.

The Great Apolymura has blessed our wise men with four ideas which we can develop. No doubt in time we will persue all four lines of research, but the question I put to you today is this: Which one of these four ideas shall we persue first?

The choices are:

Writing

History: For long ages, our people have passed on stories, songs and histories by word of mouth. Generation after generation, we have remembered all the tales of worth, and let's be honest, its getting difficult. The wise men suggest a way of storing the stories in a physical form, so that even if our great civilisation perishes, our culture will live on.

Gameplay:
    Advantages: Writing is the cheapest advance available to us at the moment. It is also the only one on the route to monarchy, which is a far superior governement to our tyranny. It is the only advance available to us at present that gives us follow-on advances. Namely Jurispudence (courthouse/chichen itza) and Drama (theatre).
    Disadvantages: Writing does not afford any direct gain. i.e. no new units, buildings, wonders, tile improvements, or governments.

Bronze Working

History: As we fight to protect our own, our stone, flint and bone weapons have lasted well, and provided us valuable defense. Our wise men suggest however, that using the shiny metals of the earth, we may be able to make stronger, more durable weapons, and "armour" to protect us. These new weapons will be much more effective at repelling the barbarian hoards.

Gameplay:
    Advantages: Hoplites of course! Bronze Working is the second cheapest advance to research, taking roughly 133% the time Writing would to research. Hoplites would enable us to protect our cities from barbarians, and any enemy troops that come our way.
    Disadvantages: The map is fairly large, do we really need to protect our cities so early on? Chances are we won't meet with any other civs for a while. Do we really want to spend this time researching bronze working when we don't have a pressing need for defense? No immediate follow-on advance.

Slave Labour

History: Too long have our people laboure din the fields and in the hunt. Why must we toil all day? Just as we employ beasts of burden to do hard tasks, why should we not employ the ignorant, uncivilised peoples of the world to do our work for us? They can work in the fields, and in the mines, leaving us more time to do some knitting, or flower-arranging.

Gameplay:
    Advantages: Slavers will be excellent means of providing early-game population boosts. Using other cities as population collectors, we can spend PW on our new mines (production is always a premium), and not bother with as many farms. Also, taking out our neighbours settlers will give us more room to expand.
    Disadvantages: Very expensive: slave labour will take almost twice as long as writing to research. Such a delay in the early-game could be a time wasted in other areas of development. Also, will we have enough money this early in the game to properly use our slavers? Dead end advance.

Those are the four choices. Please consider them carefully, and cast your vote.

The poll will remain open the statutory 5 days, and will close at about 19:00 GMT on Wednesday the 8th of January. This should allow the weekend and weekday posters to get a chance to vote.
    Thankyou

The Immortal Wombat
    Minister of Trade, Science and Diplomacy
    CtP2 DG Term 1
    The Choice is Your's again. This is not offical.
    Aleion:Rising Diplomat
    Writing
    11.11%
    Bronze Working
    11.11%
    Slave Labour
    33.33%
    abstain
    44.44%

The poll is expired.

Petsovernight.com 0.0000001 owner

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
    Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)

Ballistics will probably take like 40+ turns, the situation on the map will be very different from the current one, so it's IMHO way to early to decide on that, so I abstained.

(And I changed the thread title to be more clear on what type of poll this is, as the Constitution prescribes)
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Can't it wait? The situation could have changed dramatically by then anyway, and we don't know what we should be going for.
      There'll be another option by then, anyway.

(plus, you're not a citizen, 'til you join the civgroup.)

(why do I bother racing Locutus? )
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Crosspost.

Good point IW, as a non-Citizen, aleion is not allowed to post polls at all (I thought I had seen his name in the CivGroup a few days ago, but it's not there now. Either I'm going nuts or there was some mess-up )
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I agree with IW. No need for the poll. It's pointless.

Comment

aww... to bad

Comment

Sorry i guess i got ahead of myself......It's just some1 in the last poll requested it
              Petsovernight.com 0.0000001 owner

Ambassador to Legoland on the Lux Invicta Team
              Member of: Team Lux Invicta (PTW Demo Game)

Comment

requested?

Comment

Barbarians make great slaves but we need slavers to take advantage of this resource.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If we're going to out produce our neighbors then we're going to need to out grow them. That means we need slave labor.

Besides we can find hoplites in the goodie huts.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

writing

Comment

tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
                          tanks
                          What? how? which way?

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
                            What? how? which way?
                            Just wait some turns research a little bit here and a little bit there and we can research tanks. No problem here, as long as no one killed us before.

As we are now here putting our whishes for the future I think we should research mind controll so that we can build in every of our cities mind controll emitters so that we can make our people content. Hey wait a minute so that I can check that I haven't forgot anything to add to this mod.

But back to on topic and back to more possible and advances to reasearch in the game in particular back to advances that we can now research:

The whole situation could be totaly different if we have to select the next advance so we decide it then. For now we should research ballistics.

-Martin
                            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

i thought that was the answer

Comment

Working...
                              X