Map Setting Finalization: General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maquiladora
    Unless... our donut spins "over and under" with the ring rotating over and under the star, rather than around. Im too tired to comprehend the consequences of that.
    The main consequence would be that, unless it was made of incredibly strong material it would probably break at the point where it crosses its own spin axis, because there are (in the frame of the donut - that's frame in the physics sense) no centrifugal forces to counteract the stars gravity. You get a similar problem with Dyson spheres - no matter how you spin them there are always two ponts not moving.

More interesting is what happens if the donut is slightly flexible and it spins around going up on the inside and down on the outside, as it were. But I guess such motion would cause huge energy losses and be damped in no time...

So if we play on a cylinder (ctp2 earth world) then what exists at the ends of the "tube" (top and bottom)? Maybe our world is a small piece on an interstellar chess board with a lemur symbol on top?
    Lets just hope that we don't get sacrificed by the player .
    Last edited by J Bytheway; November 15, 2002, 10:05.

Comment

It is impossible to represent a map of a sphere in a flat map. So all flat maps consider the earth a cilinder. Like Earth map Mercators representation (which considers the form but distorces the size).and the current Earth map Peters represantation (which considers the size but distorces the form).

I dont know if the azimutal Earth represantation follows the cilinder principle
      Last edited by Pedrunn; November 15, 2002, 08:20.
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

Don't know where the problem is, get out off the house and discover for your own, how it is formed.............

I still believe it is flat and we'll fall off once we reached the edge

Comment

Working...
        X