Map Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Settings

Anyone got any thoughts on what map settings to use for the game?
    Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

I would say that the mapsize and number of opponents shouldn't be too large, or we'll still be playing 3 years from now So IMHO it should probably be a regular map with 6 or so opponents. I don't care too much for terrain settings myself, default CtP2 settings are fine with me, but any others as well... Difficulty level either Deity or Emperor, depending on the mod, and Raging Hordes as Barbarians level (maybe one level lower). Doughnut map. What do others think?
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I favour a lot of land mass, Regular or Huge size, but a little ocean to do a some sailing too and give a few more options. Earth map to keep it kinda realistic. 7 opponents. These are my preferences for a full and exciting game.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I like a larger than usual chunk o’land (Huge). 5 Opponents. And enough barbs to keep that lazy-good-for-nothing Minister of Defence trigger-happy.
        If something doesn't feel right, you're not feeling the right thing.

Comment

Reg/Huge map. Hard. 7 opponents.

We'll have to get official polls up this to decide at some point.
          Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Comment

Depends also a little bit on which mod we'll play.
            Normally I prefer to have 'huge' maps, but that could be a sleeping pill for the beginning of the game, plus a length killer for the 'end' of the game (unless we will get crushed )

I think we should take like standard size.

Number of oponents:

Not sure, again which mod? Do we want to be more warmongers or to be more a peaceful nation?

For standard, around 6/7.

But we'll see

Comment

DP
              Last edited by J Bytheway; October 23, 2002, 11:38.

Comment

I would recommend islands, but that makes the AI worse, and the game beginning more dull, so probably it's best to go for a more continent map.

Comment

Personally i think more civs to make things interesting.. more than 10! Plus maybe a custom map to play on, as ive found the ctp2 random generated maps to be pretty bad...

just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Daftpanzer
                    Personally i think more civs to make things interesting.. more than 10! Plus maybe a custom map to play on, as ive found the ctp2 random generated maps to be pretty bad...

just my opinion
                    The only problem with premade maps is that they include the extra turn bug, once you saved it you get on the reload an extra turn and the AI not. So if you moved all your units, you can move them again you get the additional production additional science...

So that could be a huge problem and the number of needed reloads could be high.

So I go for an random generated map Large or Gigantic, I think the other two defaults are too small and the ultra gigantic one is too large. Ten players on both types of map I suggested could be interesting.

As we saw in the third tournerment island setting is too bad for the AIs so it should be something above islands, the other problem are the huge landmasses the more space the slower is the game. An island ultra gigantic map is something totally different (faster) then a pangea gigantic map. So it should be a map with early AI contact with a lot of AIs. So the higher the Civ number the more probable will this event be.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Double Post (and I just hit the reload button)

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Huge, 9 opponents (8 + barbs)
                        "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                        Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                        Kill all and you are a God!"
                        -Jean Rostand

Comment

Whats wrong with a few more civs than 8, maybe 12-16?

I think its so cool to have lots of different cultures and all kinds of power struggles going on all over the world.

Also we need more civs especially if its a mega huge map - on a random map it wont be a problem to do...

What is the matter with you people are you all on p100 mhz that can only handle 3 civs without crashing?

On a gigmap whats the problem with waiting a few extra seconds at the end of each turn?

Comment

I made a bunch of polls on the subject. I left difficulty and barbarian level out as that mostly depends on the mod and that poll is still running...

Number of Civs
                            Map Size
                            Map Type (Earth, Donut, Flat)
                            Bloodlust & Pollution

Humidity
                            Temperature
                            Land Mass
                            'Continentality'
                            Diversity
                            Good Presence
                            Last edited by Locutus; October 24, 2002, 17:35.
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

spammer
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X