Sprites-Quick Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprites-Quick Question.

When making a new sprite, is there a fixed or optimum number of frames for each event for the unit, ie moving north, attacking, defending etc?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if it is an issue, but because you cannot alter the length of time each frame takes, anywhere from between 10 and 20 seems to work well to run at the right rate to get the unit into the next tile on time. Though I have no idea if the game doesn't just adjust the animation to fit the sprite. Whatever.

I used 11 for movement and 16 for attack in my crossbowman unit. That seemed to work ok. But then of course using too many frames increases file size for not a huge improvement in unit quality.

Are we in for a new animated unit? Those are a rarity these days...
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yes, I would like to change some of the graphics to jazz up the game a bit. I am collectiong a series of video clips from hypercam to give me some of the basics, and then will try to start producing some new sprtes.

I am confident of being able to produce the required animation frames in the required format but are having trouble with converting them into actual sprites.

If I produce the animation frames, can someone volunteer to put them into the sprites?

Comment

I know sweet FA about graphics but if you can produce some new sprites

Comment

If I produce the animation frames, can someone volunteer to put them into the sprites?
          Can't promise anything, but I will try, and I'm always* available if you need help with makespr.exe

*terms and conditions apply, written details on request
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

What units are you doing if I can ask.
            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
            The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
            Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

I am working on two units at the moment.

One is converting the spearman from Civ 3, the other is a chariot archer.

Comment

sounds good
                "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson

Comment

Spearman nearly finished, have done 118 frames so far (phew) but that is easy compared to doing one from scratch from images captured on hypacam.

Does anyone know how to access the graphic files from Age of Empires. ie where are they stored and how do you get into them.

Comment

They're compressed into a library file. There is an opening tool for them you can get, but personally I prefer not to, it gives a horrible white background that's hard to get rid of. Maybe its just me...
                    Try http://aoe.heavengames.com and go to the Utilities section. I think...

edit: Yeah, try the AOE Image Extractor, by Johann Joubert (since it's sorted by name) From here

Comment

Thanks

Comment

I have completed 330 frames for the Spearman and have found I can turn out the frames pretty quickly.

I would like to go on and do from civ 3-
                        1) the hoplite,
                        2)swordsman.
                        3)chariot,
                        4)legion,
                        and possibly the Horseman to flesh out the ancient period.

I am not duplicating any existing work am I?

I have done some frames for a Chariot Archer and am thinking about a ballista, siege train and supply train, but not from civ 3 flcs.

Comment

There is a manual on converting civ 3 flc to ctp some were around here.

Comment

Working...
                          X