Fan's Choice Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan's Choice Mod?

I was going to put my two cents in to ask about what we would like to see in a new mod as far a techs, units, governments, etc. However, while looking over the threads, I didn't see one. So (if indeed I didn't overlook one) I'll start one. Since I'm no modder, here's some of my request:

-a new crossbow unit (the one I've seen, like in Cradle, is really an arquebuser in some hideous clothing!

-I personally loved the internet wonder in CTP1. If I was behind in techs, I could build it and steal some techs to catch up. If I was way ahead, I'd build it to keep others from catching up. Perhaps a compromise would be to add a new wonder (Computer Hacking?) after this if most liked the way the new internet wonder worked.

-I like the way that resources are handled on Civ3. Wy have uranium appear on the map before a civ knows what to do with it?

-I also like the Civ 3 airlifting of units also.

That's it off the top of my head. I'm sure that certain things (like my resource suggestion) would be very difficult to implement.

I'm interested to see what others think as well.
    The wall of the Achaians

Re: Fan's Choice Mod?

Originally posted by Aias
    -a new crossbow unit (the one I've seen, like in Cradle, is really an arquebuser in some hideous clothing!
    New unit graphis is something i wanted to see more often
    But we dont have an artist. Still thats not the main reason that causes this lack of arquebusier. There is graphics for one in the civ3 database. The problem is the not very user-friendly sprite creation.

-I personally loved the internet wonder in CTP1.
    Probably possible. And could be done very easily. Since there is a wonder.txt flag called
    Code:
    RandomAdvanceChance
    -I like the way that resources are handled on Civ3. Wy have uranium appear on the map before a civ knows what to do with it?
    If just the appearace of the good it would be easy. And possible by Slic. But if you mean strategic resources thats a whole other story

-I also like the Civ 3 airlifting of units also.
    How does it work?
    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
    Kill all and you are a God!"
    -Jean Rostand

Comment

Re: Fan's Choice Mod?

It is easy, you have to know a good, before you can get ideas what to do with it. So the hidden good idea is actual stupid, because the goods were there before human beings appeared on this planet. So if you dig you through an mountain then you could find uranium possibly. You wouldn't be kept from finding it, just because you don't know the tech that allows you to build nukes.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Yeah. We've knocked around ideas for using strategic resources for months. The real problem regardless of aethetic/gameplay judgements is the AI. There simply isn't any way to get the AI to properly plan to conquer the goods without an almighty overhaul of the diplomatic and AI models.

re: the Crossbow sprite, I have made one, it should be available somewhere. One of the unit creation threads possibly. However, it should be uploaded on my own site by next friday. It's the one from AoK.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
          re: the Crossbow sprite, I have made one, it should be available somewhere. One of the unit creation threads possibly. However, it should be uploaded on my own site by next friday. It's the one from AoK.
          You should also submit them to the Apolyton directory.

-Martin

Comment

Yeah, I thought I had.
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              Yeah, I thought I had.
              When did you submit the units, if it was this week then I am afraid Locutus wasn't able to do it, yet. In one of his last posts before the trip to turky he expressed that he felt ill. Well and so far I didn't see him posting anything. If you submitted the units some month ago then it is really strange.

-Martin

Comment

Re: Re: Fan's Choice Mod?

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                It is easy, you have to know a good, before you can get ideas what to do with it. So the hidden good idea is actual stupid, because the goods were there before human beings appeared on this planet. So if you dig you through an mountain then you could find uranium possibly. You wouldn't be kept from finding it, just because you don't know the tech that allows you to build nukes.

-Martin
                Yeah but they only made the goods invisible so you couldnt take advantage of the bonuses from it, if you didnt have the technology to "extract" the bonus. You may find the Uranium, but if you dont have the technology to use it you shouldnt be allowed to have the bonuses from finding it.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

The problem with unit making is that there are no really good 3d packages available over the net for free.

if I could get one i have several units I would like to make.
                  "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                  The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                  Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

The problem with unit making is that there are no really good 3d packages available over the net for free.
                    If you know where to look there is, if u know what i mean

wts your internet connection?
                    Oxygen should be considered a drug
                    Tiberian Sun Retro
                    My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
                    http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

SMIFFGIG

My connection is very fast however it is getting the stuff home which is the problem.
                      "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                      The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                      Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

While there are some good points made, the reason that I like the way Civ 3 handles resources is that in ancient times, people wouldn't build a city next to a resource, such as uranium, that they had no use for.

Also, since Pedrunn asked, airdrops in Civ 3 work just by picking a unit out of one city with and airport (like a tank) and clicking on another city with an airport and dropping the unit there. There's no reason to build cargo transports then. Airdropping won't work with all units (such as settlers or artillery), but if you invade a city and conquer it, rush build an airport, you can start flying troops in right away.
                        The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Also, since Pedrunn asked, airdrops in Civ 3 work just by picking a unit out of one city with and airport (like a tank) and clicking on another city with an airport and dropping the unit there. There's no reason to build cargo transports then. Airdropping won't work with all units (such as settlers or artillery), but if you invade a city and conquer it, rush build an airport, you can start flying troops in right away.
                          This can be very easily implemented. Specially ecause there is a event called:

Teleport(army_t, location_t)
                          Which i tested the event and it works very well.
                          "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                          Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                          Kill all and you are a God!"
                          -Jean Rostand

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Fan's Choice Mod?

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                            Yeah but they only made the goods invisible so you couldnt take advantage of the bonuses from it, if you didnt have the technology to "extract" the bonus. You may find the Uranium, but if you dont have the technology to use it you shouldnt be allowed to have the bonuses from finding it.
                            Exactly. And from the aspect of game play, having a resource pop up later - especially in another civ's boundaries - forces you to make decisions on how to obtain that resource. It keeps things interesting in that respect.
                            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

I also played with the Teleport event, unfortunatly I ended with an army that had to locations, the consequence was a game crash.

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X