Relative Technology Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relative Technology Cost

...relative to the other players technological advancement, as in Civ2. It would be a totally new idea for CtP2, and i always liked this. It may seem a little unrealistic at first as some sort of "catch up" cheat, but IRL technology is much easier to get hold of if its already been discovered by another Nation, particularly modern technology.

I imagine theres alot of slic an stuff involved in getting something like this to work so im just providing the inspiration (if it can be called that) for a project. Perhaps checking which other Nations have a particular advance, and the more players have the advance the more it cheapens that tech for the player without it, or something like that. Doesnt necessarily have to be available to the human, it would help the AI later in the game though.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

There is no way to alter an advance cost mid-game, you would have to alter the rate at which the player researches somehow. Probably invisible commerce tile improvements. It won't be pretty.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Ugh i guess not. I guess the DiffDB.txt mix-max behind numbers cover the whole tech advantage thing, i was more interested in a specific advance's cost.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

If I remember correctly you can also add science points to the current number of science points of a player via slic.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

yeah? i can work?

Comment

Re: Relative Technology Cost

Originally posted by Maquiladora
            ...relative to the other players technological advancement, as in Civ2. It would be a totally new idea for CtP2, and i always liked this. It may seem a little unrealistic at first as some sort of "catch up" cheat, but IRL technology is much easier to get hold of if its already been discovered by another Nation, particularly modern technology.

I imagine theres alot of slic an stuff involved in getting something like this to work so im just providing the inspiration (if it can be called that) for a project. Perhaps checking which other Nations have a particular advance, and the more players have the advance the more it cheapens that tech for the player without it, or something like that. Doesnt necessarily have to be available to the human, it would help the AI later in the game though.
            The idea is excellent, and should be available to the human player, I wish it could be done.

Rub, rub, rub...

Come on, get out of your lamp!
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
              If I remember correctly you can also add science points to the current number of science points of a player via slic.
              I can't find that anywhere...
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I thought you can do it with this function:

Code:
                VOID SetScience(player, level)
                Set the player’s science level to level.
                But unfortunatly to use this function you need to know the current science level of a player, so far I only found this undocumented function:

GetProjectedScience

And I doubt whether it is does the thing we need if it works anyway.

-Martin

Comment

I tested GetProjectedScience(g.player)

At the beggining of the round, it seems to hold the number of science points that will be added to your science total.

We could keep track of science totals, incrementing them for each player, each round, and reset to GetProjectedScience, each time a new discovery is found.

Or am I missing something?

MrBaggins

Comment

The problem with saving stuff that has to be collected from the start is that I can always reload slic and then all the saved stuff is gone. But now what does do the SetScience function, does set it the projected science or does set it the total science points?

-Martin

Comment

no problem

just store the values in boolean, using advances as bits.

MrBaggins

Comment

SetScience I think sets what percentage of commerce is allocated to science production.

It could be done using the GetProjectedScience value, and GrantAdvance, but then the number of turns to advance becomes meaningless and there'd be no accurate way to determine how many turns you will discover something in.

Comment

Nope... just tested SetScience...

It does set how much science you have...

Looks like we may have a basis to make knowledge distribution actually happen

Comment

Working...
                          X