Cradle Problem- Could be Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cradle Problem- Could be Windows XP

I've been sitting on this for a while, and have just now decided to sound off. The root of the problem is the fact that I trust the mod to have been tested well enough by now not to include the errors I experience. It has to be my machine.

Problems:
    1) The prisoner of war code deosn't work. Period.
    2) For a while the militia code would work, but would create Spearman militia even in the Reaissance Age. This mysteriously fixed itself when I upgraded to 1.35.
    3) In spite of this the updater works flawlessly, though if I don't have any of a type of unit when I research a technology the entire code shuts down, though reloading slic fixes this.

My best guess is its Windows XP's interpretation of slic. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
    "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For instance, if Pac-Man affected kids born in the 80's we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms and eat pills while listening to monotonous electronic music."

I don't know if it is also necessary for the Cradle mod but have you changed the line DebugSlic=Yes to DebugSlic=No in the Userprofile.txt file as it is required for the Apolyton Pack?

I am running CtP2 with Windows 2000 Pro without any problem, I have solved some compatibility issues with other games with the Win2K compatibility tool which allows you to run a program as if you were using Win95, Win98 or Win NT4.
    I know there is a similar tool in Windows XP though I don't know how you can access it. In Win2000 Pro you have to right click on a shortcut of the game exe, select Property and then select Compatibility and choose the OS you won't to emulate.

I hope it can help you.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

1. Do you have the any of following leaders?

Mohammad
      Charlemagne
      Cortez
      Grant
      Eisenhower
      Schwartzkopf

These are the only leader units that will create a POW. Earlier units will not create a POW, but a slave instead.

I do know that the code works in 1.32, and there have been no changes to that code since before 1.3 (sept 01).

2. The tga graphic in earler versions of Cradle (pre-1.34) was a standardized picture. All militias had the same pic, but they acted according to their stats.

Version 1.35 now has a separate tga for each type of militia. This may be why you thought the unit was the same. Check the stats next to the tga image to see if the stats are correct.

3. Never ran into this problem, as I always had at least one of the unit being upgraded. (Probably because I was always building a lot of military.)
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

POW, tell me about that, i havent heard of it yet

Comment

I sware they were spearmen, but its fixed now so who cares. I'll check the PoW thingie.
          "It is ridiculous claiming that video games influence children. For instance, if Pac-Man affected kids born in the 80's we should by now have a bunch of teenagers who run around in darkened rooms and eat pills while listening to monotonous electronic music."

Comment

I played 1.35 on XP and managed to get some prisoners of war (I think it was with Muhammad).
            DebugSlic=Yes is not a problem in Cradle.
            Though I do crash however, after some time, and can't ever get the file to reload.
            I have had some problems with the updater code, though, like not having a yes/no button, but that may be due to my periodic shortage of gold.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
              I have had some problems with the updater code, though, like not having a yes/no button, but that may be due to my periodic shortage of gold.
              A message box saying you don't have enough gold should be displayed in this case.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                Though I do crash however, after some time, and can't ever get the file to reload.
                I downloaded the file and got the same result. Not sure why this is happening though...
                Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

HuangShang,

IIRC, IW wrote some code so that if you have a Wonder unit (you have to get the Wonder first) in an army that wins a battle, you can get a prisoner of war. I've seen it happen, but rather rarely.

Comment

Working...
                  X