No announcement yet.

Middle-Earth 'War of the Ring' Scenario 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded the two files but I cant get it to run.

LOTR is not showing up on my modswapper. I reloaded the patch, modswapper and the files again and still no LOTR.

My modswapper has cradle 1.2 and 1.33a (several versions of the latter)

MY modswapper contains a lot of old cradle and other mods. Could it be too full? How do I enter modswapper and delete some of the old mods? Any other thoughts?

Comment

Make sure you have them unzipped into the correct directory - its different than Cradle - the files get unzipped into the folder that contains the Call To Power 2 folder. If you are not sure, unzip onto your main drive and copy the folders over the existing folders with the same directory structure.

To remove Modswapper options, look for the various (CRA...)_gamefile.txt files and delete all the ones you do not want.

Gonna see the movie tonight
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian

I'm hoping that there is enough interest in this to make it worthwhile to pursue.

I mean, I posted the files last weekend, and as of this morning, there were only 50 views to the thread and the responses - most of those views may not have tried this, so if only 5 or so went ahead and played it (and it seems to be very playable based on your report), then that's a lot of effort for little payoff.
        I would love to be slapping (getting slapped by) Orcs right now but the holidays IMO make this a very difficult time for almost everyone to get a lot of time to play. Maybe once some holidays/vacations start people get a greater opportunity to spend some time with this.

Also, the LOTR:TTT being released in the US will most likely help this mod immensely.
        "...the aim of most scientists is to know more and more about less and less, and to describe what it is they know in terms of such precision as to be virtually incomprehensible to their colleagues, let alone the general public."

Comment

By a peculiar set of circumstances, I ended up seeing TTT twice today
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

So did my son - in fact, he may end up seeing it 4 times by the end of Saturday. Lucky stiff...

He got a last-minute call last night to go to the midnight show, then we all went tonight, another friend invited him to go Friday, and then he may go with me on Saturday.

Incredible movie, though I lean toward FOTR as the better movie - mainly because there was more emotional pull in that one (fall of Gandalf, death of Boramir) The Mines of Moria is still the best sequence so far, though I expect a lot of highlights in the third movie. I'm especially looking forward to the last battle outside the Black Gate. That'll be a killer...when Mordor pulls all the stops out to crush the Gondor rabble.

Gollum is incredible, that much is for sure. Give that CGI critter an Oscar.

So what did you think???
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

4 times

Yeah, I agree with FOTR being slightly better. The devations from Tolkien seemed more pointless this time around, and they did get annoying. But RotK will be good. I posted an I-just-got-home review in the OT thead.

Incidentally, what kind of bonuses should Mordor get if Frodo is killed/ring is taken?
              More units would be easier, but not terribly realistic. If I can get the Blitzcode working, I'll see if I can trigger the implimentation of that on Frodo's death, so Mordor just goes for it without any further fear then.
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I saw your post on the OT after I posted here. I still enjoyed the Gollum/Smeagol interchange a lot...

Part of the problem for me was that 'Towers' is probably my least favorite book out of the trilogy and most of my favorite parts of the book are relegated to the third movie. (The confrontation of Saruman/Gandalf at Orthanc, Minas Morgul, Shelob).

They better make RotK into a 4-hr movie to cover it all.

Give Mordor a 10% HP bonus for 40 turns, as Sauron's minions will now fight with greater ferocity now that their lord has his ring. And give Gondor a (-1) happiness hit for 10 turns.

Are you going to need an additional entry for Gandalf the White? If so, cut and paste his stats over the AIRCRAFT_CARRIER, as I will use that entry - I forgot to do an second entry for him.

BTW, I'm going to reduce the costs of the advances a little bit for the next update. And do you think I have Isengard too-well defended, since you mentioned difficulty in taking it out.

Comment

Here's a link to my review http://forums.shoresofvalinor.com/sh...&threadid=2402

Feel free to post your reviews in that forum .

Still haven't got round to trying this out yet . Will try to soon!
                  Shores Of Valinor.com - The Premier Tolkien Community -

Comment

Yeah, I will. I've improvised with my own UNIT_GANDALF_THE_WHITE entry using UNIT_GANDALF stats.

First test of the SLIC this evening. I got the syntax errors out, so that's all good. However, none of the events work yet Still working on that one

Comment

...bumping, just to keep this on the first page.

...and wondering if this has been played, or is everyone waiting for the SLICs?

Comment

EL BUMPO!

I have two more issues to work out in the SLIC, and then I'm done.

If anyone has any ideas for storyline messages, *simple* events or other such atmosphere additions, the time to request them is now. I will declare the SLIC done very soon.

Oh, and let me just say, that this scenario is absolutely amazing. Hex put in a fantastic effort on this, and it has a beautiful map, good game balance, a tough challenge, and hopefully a whole lot of atmosphere. Play it for goodness sakes people! Best CtP2 fan-scenario released IMO.

Comment

Ben, in your testing did you think that I should add the additional Mordor units, or is it playing tough now without those units???

Certain units I have to add (Black Riders), but I had also placed some normal Mordor troops at the start.

BTW, I saw TTT for the fourth time this past weekend...

Comment

I think you should add a certain number of mobile units at the start, or else the Black Riders suffer the same non-movement bug. If you add a couple of Snaga per AI city or something like that, you should get your "explorer" quotas fulfilled so that the Black Riders can go around pissing the human off.

On Impossible level it gets hard fairly fast, but on lower levels you can get a good cushion of easy (like *no*AI movement at all) turns at the start. It doesn't take many many I shouldn't think, just enough to cause the human some early pillaging irritation etc.

It plays well

Comment

Just saw that thread. I downloaded and played once to see what it looked like. I really didn't like those Mumakils...
                              I think it would be good to have some messages to explain what's happening. I know the book, but it could add to the atmosphere if I knew where the One Ring is (or if I knew it is still lost). A few events in the beginning of the game to set up the atmosphere would help IMO. In particular, getting some of the main characters (Strider, the halflings) in Elrond's place should trigger some event?
                              I didn't go far enough to do anything good, however, so I still have to discover the scenario. Overall, the map looks nice, but I must get those nasty orcs to stop looting my roads!
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I just downloaded the *.zip files of the lastest version, one thing I notice is that all the path discriptions starts with \Call To Power 2\.. is this intension, that it does start with the default parth suggested by the installion program of Activision. As this part of the path is left to the user my default CTP directory is found under C:\Activision\CTP2\ so I have to move the files and probably other players, too.

Another thing I found is that the *.zip files overwrites your Colors00.txt if you don't care, could you remove it from the main directory, or put into the scenario directory or give additional on how to replace it manually.

And another thing I found is that the installtions notes state that the scenario is still alpha stage while the readme states the scenario is in beta stage.

-Martin
                                Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                                X