Question regarding units and harvesting food/gold/prod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding units and harvesting food/gold/prod

Is it possible to mod a unit like the crawler in SMAC?
    So that you can use a unit to harvest shields that would normally be out of a cities range.
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Originbally posted by Lemmy
    Is it possible to mod a unit like the crawler in SMAC?
    So that you can use a unit to harvest shields that would normally be out of a cities range.
    As far as I know there is no slic function that can increase the city's collection of food, gold or commerce per turn. Therfore it isn't posible to do this. It would be a great feature espeacilly if you could collect goods outside the city radius.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thats a cool idea Lemmy

The Civ3 worker unit could be used for it (when its converted)
      I have know idea if or how it could be done though

I cannot remember the crawler unit but a possible downside to this is that the game could end up like civ all over again with workers scattered all over the map to get extra resources

Could explain more about the crawler eg How far out city radius crawler can obtain shields/gold/food etc. How expensive is this unit ? etc etc
      Oxygen should be considered a drug
      Tiberian Sun Retro
      My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
      http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

DP
        Oxygen should be considered a drug
        Tiberian Sun Retro
        My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
        http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

The crawler could be put anywhere on the map, as long as the tile wasn't used by a city worker. So it could work inside another cities radius, but the city then couldn't benefit from the tile by working on it.
          You could only select on resource to harvest, so only minerals(shields) or only energy(gold) or nutrients(food).

Hmm, another thing is that the crawler only harvest for the city that supports it, but since cities don't support units in ctp2 i don't know if that is possible...you would need to know where the unit has to send the resources to.

The unit wasn't that expensive...in an average 3 size city it took about 4-6 turns to build one.
          Off course in SMAC it all depended on how you designed your unit, you could put the best armor on it with the worst reactor and some other expensive abilities, and it would take 15 turns to build.
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

You could harvest PW and gold I guess. It would be easy to send that to the nearest city. Actually, that wouldn't have to go to a city Which solves another problem
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense that a unit is gathering PW near the western border, and then it's being used on the other side of the empire...
              I just wanted a way to use those mountains in the middle of my territory.

Comment

You can use SLIC to terraform the tile a city is on or place a tile improvement there to 'simulate' a SLIC function that increases food/production/commerce output...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                  Yeah, but it doesn't make sense that a unit is gathering PW near the western border, and then it's being used on the other side of the empire...
                  It makes no less sense than PW being generated near the western border and used on the other side, which happens all the time.
                  Originally posted by Locutus
                  You can use SLIC to terraform the tile a city is on or place a tile improvement there to 'simulate' a SLIC function that increases food/production/commerce output...
                  Tough to keep track of, perhaps - it wouldn't survive a reloadslic well without much care and attention.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
                    Tough to keep track of, perhaps - it wouldn't survive a reloadslic well without much care and attention.
                    The easiest way to avoid the lost of data would be to search for the tile improvements on the map everytime when the information is needed. So you have to implement it via the tile improvement sollution. As long the tile improvements are on the map it should be possible to recreate the information. Of course you would use dummy tile improvements.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

The problem would be associating the tile improvements with the units, but I expect it could be done.
                      Last edited by J Bytheway; November 16, 2002, 08:35.

Comment

Just a thoght:
                        was the cow left out of ctp2?

There was a cowmod for ctp1, it generated food.

Martin the Dane
                        Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                        Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

The cow was left out - there is still a flag in the units.txt that should let you make another one, but AFAIK noones tried it to see if it works.
                          Last edited by J Bytheway; November 16, 2002, 08:35.

Comment

But then it would have to be in the city radius. You might as well stick down a farm or two.

Actually, I'd be surprised if the cow did work in CtP2, because resource collection is done differently from the one-citizen-per-tile way in CtP.
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                            X