No announcement yet.

Clerics, Corporate branch and so on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think this will give any advantage. But for sure you a much experienced programmer than i am (my very first code only has two/three months).
    well otherwise the array would get huge when cities are converted a lot and as for the experienced programmer "Errare humanum est" -> I'm not... had a semester of programming C++ two years ago, haven't done any since and just started reading into SLICing a week ago
    Yet i have added that because i plan to pop messages box every turn (without show() function for sure) where it says how much gold was lost/gained by the civ. Yet we didnt made religious so important to have this messaging poping out. (I also plan to add other information in this message box about trade and others features)
    well if we keep on working on this at the same pace it may soon be important
    I hadnt seen this event befor. It sure looks to be trustful to work than SellIndulgences orders. Other than i dont see much of a difference
    i'm not sure but maybe you can give the unti the order more than once even it will only execute once - anyhow, this is just to be on the safe side
    This is enough for us to work with yor code and to move on to stage two. Although i may need to get used to the .# wich i had never seen it before.
    The .# is usually something like .size in other languages, so most common just a strange way of writing it in slic
    Stage 2:
    Every time a city is converted the city owner gets a choice to join the convertor religion. If he dont accept he still keeps losing its money (note he can still reform the city). If he accepts all of his cities get converted to the other player religion (this will cause unhapppiness in all cities that werent converted and increase the happiness in those that were converted). The number of gold taken by the other civ drasticly decreases
    so we'll do that in slic with part of the code I took out, additionally when more than half of the cities are converted there could also be a pop up that the people petitiones the leader to convert all cities.
    and the player with the new religion can sell indulgences to other civs and get the same amout as if it was converted by him.
    now it's getting complicated - can we unconnect religion and player? The problem is the data shown in the map which specifically connects those two. and i don't think it's possible to have a players city with his religion converted- i'll try that just now

Comment

Yes, yes, yes

if I add/adjust the event handler for UnconvertCity(city_t) with a convertcity event
      ConvertCity(city_t, int_t, int_t) //City actually converted
      the game allows me to select any player we want, even the same as the owner of the city, and the blue sign appears beside the blue city!
      which means, we can redefine the int_t for player in those events as religion - so at the beginning we're all atheist and after some research you can select a state religion which allows you to build the clerics instead of the conditions now - boah this is major work ahead but as far as I can see all doable!

Comment

well I tried something with what we had with religion and player unconnected, I zipped it, so have a look at it(it hasn't been tested...)

What we need now is the messagebox stuff and of course the new defining of the goldturnover from religious cities - do they all pay in a religion specific pot and whoever has that religion get's a share of it?
        And we should beginn to add bonuses for the different religions, for production, gold or science...

edit: added eventhandler for capturing city
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mapfi; August 7, 2002, 11:43.

Comment

looking good

Couple of things...
          In CheckForCity, "i=num;" I think should be "num=i;" so you store the position into the number. Have I understood that right?

And in the IndulgenceSaleMade event, :
          Code:
          elseif(ConvertorCiv != PriestCiv) {
          that could just be an "else {", not that it really matters much.
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

hey thanks!

num = i, yes, i didn't test it as i said
            for the other one just bad style, you're right
            i'll keep on thinking... and trying out
            Last edited by mapfi; August 7, 2002, 15:01.

Comment

forgot the updated one, hope to have something more tomorrow night
              Attached Files

Comment

You have been working on a code!?!
                I have staterd one too.

And I am almost done with mine!
                "Kill a man and you are a murder.
                Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
                Kill all and you are a God!"
                -Jean Rostand

Comment

nah, nah, nah

there's nothing as too much work - what i've got right now is the thing posted and I was planning on taking that further - but in that case I'll wait for your code and anyway, bedtime for me now...

Comment

Wow, guys, this is looking great

Exactly the sort of thing I was working on, but since I'm extremely busy, I'm glad to see you guys are doing my work for me I'll try to post some ideas on how to expand the religion idea even further later on. My vision is that religion should become CtP's equivilant of Civ3's culture. There should IMHO also be some sort of 'level' of religion: some cities are strongly religious, some only very weakly, ala culture. Perhaps cities could even have several religions, with one of them being the dominant one... but this requires careful thinking to work it out properly...
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Can SLIC do arrays of more than two dimensions like C can?

int_t CITY_RELIGIONS[][][];
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

No, but you can fake it. Instead of array[10][10][10], you can have array[(10*10*10)].
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I have finished ny code.

I hope you dont mind. But tha .# scaries the hell out of me. So i kept the counter. You may change it if you want.

Iit is late here in Brasil and i will get some sleep.
                          Tomorrow i will start the debuging, improving and testing.

Good Night
                          Attached Files
                          -Jean Rostand

Comment

Just had a quick look, since I haven't got much time today. Looks very good.
                            Couldn't find the text for the messagebox 'ReligionInfo' though. And you've got that loop in ConvertCity - it calls itself over and over again.
                            I can see you're partly going into another direction than me. I was centering around the little colored cross that's displayed in the regular view to make it easy for the player to keep track of the city's religion. I like your message boxes though, I haven't read into that part of slic yet.

Now what we have to address is:
                            What's exactly the benefit of converting a enemy city? Just some money, or more? And what happens if the player changes his religion? In your code as I understand it - if player b converts to the religion of player a, b doesn't get any money if he himself converts cities of player c instead a will get the money.

Another problem so far is, that clerics require Theocracy - I think we can easily change that - but also that whenever you change your government to something else the crosses dissappear - we still got the information in our array then but no little crosses to show the player, and I like them so much

Where are the tactics for the ai considering conversion? I hope that's not hard coded...

Comment

Originally posted by mapfi
                              Couldn't find the text for the messagebox 'ReligionInfo' though.
                              Actually the messages are totally wrong in the code. It looks like i had a misconcept with the alertbox. I have attached a txt with the correct lines

And you've got that loop in ConvertCity - it calls itself over and over again.
                              The bug is in this line.
                              Code:
                              Event: ConvertCity(city[0], PlayerReligion[tmpplayer], 0);
                              It seems i cant get the game to save the religion at the beggining of the game with the code.
                              Code:
                              HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'SaveReligionsArrays' post {	// At the Begginning of the game
                              int_t tmpPlayer;
                              	for(tmpPlayer = 0; tmpPlayer <= 32; tmpPlayer = tmpPlayer + 1) { // For all
                              		if(IsPlayerAlive(tmpPlayer)) {				 // alive player
                              			PlayerReligion[tmpPlayer] = tmpPlayer;		 // Given them a religion
                              		}
                              	}
                              	DisableTrigger('SaveReligionsArrays');
                              }
                              Since in the message RELIGIOUS_INFO it say the religion name of the player is 0 and not the name of the civiliztion as i expected.
                              I think this is causing the loop.
                              Any ideas to solve this
                              I can see you're partly going into another direction than me. I was centering around the little colored cross that's displayed in the regular view to make it easy for the player to keep track of the city's religion. I like your message boxes though, I haven't read into that part of slic yet.
                              I want religion to be a very deep aspect of the game.
                              What i aim at is to create religons that do not depend on the civs. Yet the civ who created it was going to receive advantages because of her.
                              The religion would start being spread by its starting civ and once civs get totally converterd to it. The totally converted civ is going to convert others civ to the player who started the religion (I like to think that relion is a totally different/separated concept from civilization. it is like it has its own life).

Now what we have to address is:

What's exactly the benefit of converting a enemy city? Just some money, or more? And what happens if the player changes his religion? In your code as I understand it - if player b converts to the religion of player a, b doesn't get any money if he himself converts cities of player c instead a will get the money.
                              Thats what i wrote (It gets the money from selling indulgences too and dont get) but we could fix that so that part of the money goes to the player b or we could come up with another advantage if the religion is well suceed (Locutus i think that is where you are aiming at, isnt?). This something to dicuss about it.
                              Another problem so far is, that clerics require Theocracy - I think we can easily change that - but also that whenever you change your government to something else the crosses dissappear - we still got the information in our array then but no little crosses to show the player, and I like them so much
                              The crosses disapear when enacting new govs? Are you sure? I really really dont thing they do but i am not 100% sure about it.
                              A really small change in the unit.txt would make the cleric avaible to all govs. But i plan to create a new unit with less chance of succeding in the conversion avaible to all civs. Since i want new teocracy to have an advantage

Where are the tactics for the ai considering conversion? I hope that's not hard coded...
                              The Goals.txt determines how should the AI use the tactic and strategy.txt determines how the likely they will use this order depending on the AIs strategy.
                              -Jean Rostand

Comment

The bug is in this line.
                                Code:
                                Event: ConvertCity(city[0], PlayerReligion[tmpplayer], 0);
                                Yep, if you look in that little piece of code I wrote you'll find I solved that by using a global variable to count the called events. There might be something better, though
                                What i aim at is to create religons that do not depend on the civs.
                                That's my aim too, and as I found out, the colored cross can appear at any players city. Just read a few post ahead.
                                The crosses disapear when enacting new govs? Are you sure?
                                Quite sure, tested it, but try it out in the game yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X