Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Apolyton Pack! The Fan's Unofficial Patch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Dan don't worry about it, finally got zip files SAP 2.0.
    Sometimes ago I played CTP1 & 2 and I was impressed of the great game possibilities but I was really disappointed with AI behaviour, the WEAKEST I ever met!!!
    ( Civ 2 AI is better......)
    So, I was very suprised to discover someone like you try to mod AI...the REAL challenge!!!.
    Thanks you all I'm having a lot of fun and I found only minor bugs!
    I would appreciate to understand all the improvements done vs 1.1 original version in order to give a right tribute.
    Is it a text file about it??
    MF

Comment

Adriano:

The only changes made between the old version and V2.0, were all AI/script changes. I updated quite a lot of AI files to bring it up to current standards. I also added in the unit-build changes that I wrote up for the WAW mod. This includes the new AI defense/attack unit-build changer. I also added in AI changes to make it want to settle more. This in turn allows the AI to collect more resources for defense/attack.

Quite simply, half the changes for SAP V2.0, were in military. The other half was to bring the AI up to the level of Cradle and WAW.

I believe that it now makes CTP2 the best damn Civ-game ever.

Comment

A group of us are playing CTP2 on a LAN, with a few beers of course. All of use have played Civ3 and all of us agree that even the un-modded version of CTP2 leaves Civ3 for dead. In multi-play the behaviour of the AI is clearly not as important.

As an aside, there are multiplay problems with the mods. It appears that ModSwapper does not restore all the files. Between our get togethers we play different mods and when we fire up the LAN game we get incompatibility problems. At this stage we have no idea which files are reponsible. We have to do a fresh 'Install' each night to make sure our respective files are identical. Nasty that.

Comment

Lou:

Sometimes I've found that files like GreatLibrary.txt, gamefile.txt and a few others don't update between MODs. My suggestion is to load ModSwapper and open the vanilla CTP2 (the original settings), come out of CTP2, then load ModSwapper and select the MOD to play. It works for me anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
            Quite simply, half the changes for SAP V2.0, were in military. The other half was to bring the AI up to the level of Cradle and WAW.

I believe that it now makes CTP2 the best damn Civ-game ever.
            Also: for me one of the biggest changes (which I'm sure is in MedMod as well) are the added options of what to do with a city once you have captured it (something like: enslave/move the citizenry - then destroy it, destroy it with everyone inside or keep it). As I am finding the AI builds cities in some extremely silly places, and the gov't city number limits are too restrictive to hang on to real-estate I don't want, this is a huge improvement.
            "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

download

Cant download from your site,text file ok rest all contain errors

Comment

Re: download

Originally posted by skeeta
                Cant download from your site,text file ok rest all contain errors
                Maybe you could try this place: http://apolyton.net/~ctp2files/

Unfortunatly it still deosn't work with Netscape 4.5.

-Martin
                Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Re: Super Apolyton Pack! The Fan's Unofficial Patch.

Play CTP2 the way it should be....[/i] [/QUOTE]

Yes, good ideas, much fun, but ...

I´ve played SAP 2.0 three times, on three PC´s.

First:
                  No problems.

Second:
                  Slavehunters will not work! By trying to hunt slaves only a "cash-sound" is played and nothing happens!
                  First in ruins found warrior started ca. 1000 BC to move automaticly every turn! Like the posted settler-syndrom? I found this warrior prior the first founding of a city.

Third (with friend per LAN): Slavehunters will not work!
                  Once during the reconfiguration on the LAN-network the game crushed without any message.

Maybe a complete new installation helps.

So long
                  SL
                  Ludo ergo sum!

Comment

Trading Maps

I am finding that whenever other civs ask to trade maps with me, and I accept, the position of its units are revealed for only a few brief seconds, then disappear back into the unknown. I barely have time to click the diplomacy screen shut before they are gone.

I was thinking about it this morning, and believe it may be that since other civs initiate diplomacy at the end of a turn, the map is only revealed for the few nanoseconds before the year/turn ends, instead of the next turn. I don't recall whether the units remain visible when I initiate a map request at the start of a turn (I don't have the game on this PC), but I pretty sure that they do.

If this happened in the other versions of the game, I never noticed. This version seems to be far more active in initiating diplo-requests, which may be why I never caught it before.
                    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

V2.0 Downloads

Dale,

Thanks for the tip. The files were not where they should have been, so I re-downloaded and they were there. I have had no re-occurrences of that type of crash since, but did have one additional crash with no error message. It was near the beginning of the game, so I just started a new one and am up to about 300 AD with no problems.

Skeeta,

I had a similier problem with 3 of the files. Just kept re-downloading them until they came through right.

Comment

Bugs

Dale,

I'm now up to about 800AD in my first V2.0 game, and have experienced a couple of minor bugs. I have some tiles that just will not give up their former AI empire designation. I disbanded the towns, and later some fortifications they built there, but I still have two small areas (about 9-10 tiles each) that still claim to belong to the AI empire. The only thing left on any of the tiles are some roads. Secondly, I have had three occurences where a stack of 12 milatary units from a "new" empire appear from out on nowhere in a battle scene with my defenders in 2 seperate large towns that I had recently taken over. They easily beat the 3 or 4 defenders I have and take over the town. When I send in additional forces to defeat them, they act surprised that I am attacking them. After defeating them, that empire disappears again.

Bill

Comment

Dale and Martin,

I have currently stopped working on the Super Apolyton Pack translation since two weeks as I have to face some setbacks (other would say challenges) in my life.
                          I will resume the translation as soon as possible, possibly this week-end...

Martin : thank you for the explanations you gave me in this forum a few weeks ago, they have already been very helpful.

Sorry for the delay,

Best regards
                          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Questions and Bugs

Dale,

First, thanks you for the improved AI. Still no enough for me but it is now a real opposition (and it attacks cities). Nevertheless I have some questions.

Did you make a sum up of all the change??

When I opened the downloaded zip file there was two times the same files, why? Do I have to install both??

When I signed a peace traty a ghost diplomat appear and create and embassy for me... Is it normal (and how can I disable it if I want).

When attacking with in superiority with Infantery man or machine gunner, they do not use their range attack. Normally they should. (example 3 machine gunner against 1, normally at least one should use it range attack but they all attack as if not having range attack). In defense that work fine...

How is computed the number of PW one receive when he took an enemy capital?

Tahnks

Comment

Originally posted by Ashura
                              Did you make a sum up of all the change??
                              Yes this would be a prtty good idea I miss this list, too.

When I opened the downloaded zip file there was two times the same files, why? Do I have to install both??
                              Which file do you mean espeacily, files in the language folders or somewhere else. The main downloads comes with files for the English and German version of the game, so these one are duplicated by name not content.

When I signed a peace traty a ghost diplomat appear and create and embassy for me... Is it normal (and how can I disable it if I want).
                              That is part of Dale's Diplomod. Of course I could now examine Dale's code to tell you how to disable it. But I think I leave it to Dale to answer this question as he is more familiar with his code.

How is computed the number of PW one receive when he took an enemy capital?
                              That is a question about my code. It was easier to code it without a capital bonus, so it doesn't matter if you capture the capital first or an out post. For example if you your enemy has ten cities and you conquer one of them you will receive one tenth of your enemy PW reserve. If you conquer the next city you will receive one ninth of your enemy's PW reserve and finally if you capture the last city you receive the rest of your enemy's PW. Of course you can say that is unrealistic most PW should be stored in the capital and you should get more if you get the capital but you have to note that with Dale's capital move code the capital moves if it is conquered so you can see it as that the additional PW that is stored in the capital will move with the capital.

For the amount of PW that you get if you capture a city you could see it as the whole PW treasury is distributed over the empire equality.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Martin,

About the PW of the Capital I asked because I've got 5000 PW when I invade the Capital City of a computer (and not the last one). So maybe the comptuer had some 15000-20000 PW accumulated
                                Nevertheless I agree with you that PW should be every where so it does not bother me.
                                That raised another point about the AI that seemed unable to upgrade quickly their tile improvement, or change them even when they have a lot of public work.

Ashura

Comment

Working...
                                X