No announcement yet.

Civ 3 Unit FLCs to be converted Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caranorn, is that picture of the Bowman taken directly from the frames youre using? It looks a little high up.

Ill look at civfanatics, i take it theres more of a civ3 modding community over there. I can post the flc files too if needed.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

That pic was essentially the 160x120 tga for the great library. So it's scaled up quite a bit compared to the files for the sprite.

I just got Civ3 (had to get groceries and decided to pick it up at the supermarket's electronics place) and took a look at all the flics. I will henceforth work from those files directly (I'll set colours to what I find best, or will ask here what others think, in some cases I might make multiple sprites). Not having seen all the flics before, I have to say quality really varies, but overall they are definitelly interesting to make into CTP2 sprites.

I should continue work on the sprites tonight. Until I can get a useable script I will create all pictures scaled 120%, I expect I will continue from Civ3 units alphabetically (in German, could not get any other version).

Some of the units at the civfanantics site might also be worth converting (some in Apolyton's Civ3 section as well). But I think we should first concentrate on the original Civ3 material (enough work there), and once that's done fetch other material.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: Before I start work tonight I will post exactly which units I will get at next so we don't do teh same sprite multiple times.

Comment

Proposal, Aegis Cruiser

The Aegis Cruiser should be first on my list. The attachment bellow shows the colour I find best. Used in a mod I would rename this a Fast Patrol Boat (similar to some German types, a bit gun heavy, but definitelly wrong proportions for a cruiser).

Marc aka Caran...
        Attached Files

Comment

proposal, Artillery

Second would be the artillery piece in the colours as shown bellow. In a mod this would make a fine Anti Tank gun (resembles the British WWII 6pdr a bit).

Marc aka Caran...
          Attached Files

Comment

proposal, Nuclear Submarine

Third, the Nuclear Submarine, the colours seem good this way (except in death animation, the hull and conning tower should be the same colour at that point). Fine boat otherwise.

Marc aka Caran...
            Attached Files

Comment

proposal, Worker

The worker might find some use in CTP2, maybe as a miner for siege craft. I made his colour earthen as in that line of work he'd never stay clean.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: This unit might merit several or no sprite.
              Attached Files

Comment

proposal, Privateer

Fifth the privateer. I wish the skull could have been eitehr made all black, or a black outline on the sails. This is closest i could do with the Civ3 pallete.

Marc aka Caran...
                Attached Files

Comment

IMO, we have enough submarine sprites. CtP has one, CtP2 has 2, and Harlan's unit pack has at least one (2, 3?) more.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

oops, missed this...

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                    Immortal Wombat made some sprites from AOE2. I think one was the battering ram(?).
                    Yup, that was the one I did properly. And the other was the Crossbowman. A few more I made unanimated versions.

They can be extracted directly from the AoK files, you need the ModPack Studio, which can be downloaded from somewhere like AOK Heaven but I personally hate the program, and find it not at all useful for getting the pics out - they contain both white and black, the shadow's all over the place, they;re a mess. The battering ram I constructed from screenshots (little animation, because of the wheels, and the square shape made it easy to cut out.), and the Crossbowman I made from a Civ3 FLIC which had been made from the AoK original

FLICS are much easier to work with, and most of the AoK units are already converted (thanks jimmytrick )
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• So Ben when we see these units in the Great Directory. Or did I miss something.

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• This thread certainly has taken a turn for the better

When you're making a priority list anyway, we could use few extra Medieval units and cavalry units (of all ages). Also, Warrior, Jaguar Warrior, Camalry and other distinctly different (fanmade?) units. And with distinctly different I mean unique weaponry (axe, crossbow, halberd(sp?)), equipment (trebuchet, biplane, balloon, etc) or appearance (Arab, black, Asian, Native American). Of course, those are just suggestions, you guys are doing all the hard work, so it's your call
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• I do like the look of the Privateer. I havent looked through the Air units yet, they seem somewhat redundant in Civ3 and CtP2 anyway.

Thats the thing about converting sprites that might be under-used, like the naval units, not very motivating Although i dont mind slogging away on some. Theyll all get done anyway... eventually.
                          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

• The Aegis Cruiser should be first on my list. The attachment bellow shows the colour I find best. Used in a mod I would rename this a Fast Patrol Boat (similar to some German types, a bit gun heavy, but definitelly wrong proportions for a cruiser).
                            Certainly this is rather Missile Boat than AEGIS Cruiser.
                            I think Destroyer in Civ3 alike to real Ticonderoga class AEGIS Cruiser.

Comment

• I guess it's no secret that I'm looking forward to the privateer. A pity that the skull can't be totally black. The regular pirate flag was black with a white skull but would it look ok if you color the one sail instead of the skull? Somehow, I doubt it but might be worth a shot.

Comment

• This is by no means a serious attempt but i tried Also this would have to be done for each and every frame that made the front on the sail visible so its more than a little work, too much.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X